Hawaii Environmental Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Iapyx

Hawaii Environmental Law

Postby Iapyx » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:16 pm

To begin, let me say that I would like to go to law school and practice environmental law. However, I am not willing to sacrifice quality time with my wife and future children to do so. From what I have read I would not be happy given the conditions of most lawyers. I do not want to work past 6 and I do not want to be in a cut throat environment. (I understand there will be a lot of studying during Law school. I am referring to after graduation) I had thought that this preference excluded me from law, however I stumbled across the Hawaii program. From my experience in Hawaii it is a relaxed state. Does anyone with experience there know if this relaxed environment carries over into the legal field. Could I live the happy and fulfilled lifestyle that I so desire. Money is not important, I just want to make 60K/year.

Any other info on Hawaii or its environmental law program would be appreciated.

MrAnon

Re: Hawaii Environmental Law

Postby MrAnon » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:31 pm

the state of Hawaii is consistently thought to be one of the most expensive in all of the U.S. to reside in. Living there is similar to living in NYC or the nicer parts of California in terms of cost. The housing is expensive because there is limited land to build new housing on and all basic goods like grocer store items are more expensive because of the cost of transportation.

Moreover only 4% of lawyer start in the neighborhood of $60K. Most students assume that if they don't get six figures they'll start around 60, 70K. It simply is not true. They are far more likely to take a beginning salary of $40-45K.

On the bright side, there are some ghetto trash neighborhoods in Hawaii (every state has its poor and in Hawaii they have to live someplace) so there are affordable opportunities to raise a family there if you want to go for it.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:53 pm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Pick a different profession.

dowon

Postby dowon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 am

i am an undergrad at hawaii, and i know a couple of people in the law school. the law school is laid back but still much more intense than the rest of the university. while i hear great things about the environmental law program (students generally like the law school), i also know that the law market is saturated here. to add to that, what the previous poster said was right; hawaii is very expensive. the median price for a home here is well over $300,000, even in the "ghetto" areas. bear in mind, as well, that hawaii has a unique culture and isn't always friendly to "foreigners" even if you are from the continental U.S. however, if you want to practice in hawaii, it's all about connections, so attending UH law would probably be your best bet. the law school is also friendly toward older, non-traditional students with families, so in this respect, it is a welcoming environment. hope this info helps.

Iapyx

Postby Iapyx » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Great! Thank you

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:47 am

dowon wrote:i am an undergrad at hawaii, and i know a couple of people in the law school. the law school is laid back but still much more intense than the rest of the university. while i hear great things about the environmental law program (students generally like the law school), i also know that the law market is saturated here. to add to that, what the previous poster said was right; hawaii is very expensive. the median price for a home here is well over $300,000, even in the "ghetto" areas. bear in mind, as well, that hawaii has a unique culture and isn't always friendly to "foreigners" even if you are from the continental U.S. however, if you want to practice in hawaii, it's all about connections, so attending UH law would probably be your best bet. the law school is also friendly toward older, non-traditional students with families, so in this respect, it is a welcoming environment. hope this info helps.

I lived in Hawaii too, and I have to say, I don't think the bolded will be enough. I really think the OP should reconsider and find another profession, because this one just is not going to work out for him.

environmentallaw

Postby environmentallaw » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:25 pm

I am also planning to study environmental law, and I actually had an internship this summer with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration outside of Honolulu, HI. The internship was great - I helped with the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary and its Management Plan Review (imagine NEPA - public scoping period, public comment period, writing an EIS, more public comment... etc etc).

It was really interesting (& exciting!) to see all of the different interests merging together to develop a new management plan for the sanctuary. And the work atmosphere was extremely relaxed (I took several Fridays off and it seemed like most employees didn't get to work until 10 am after spending the morning surfing). On the other hand, I could see how it would be difficult to enter this field. The sanctuary only employed a few people per island and funding was somewhat limited from what I could tell.

Living and working in Hawaii for a summer was an awesome experience, but I personally would never move there permanently. Short periods of time in Hawaii are wonderful, but the isolation of living on an island can be difficult and strange for someone who grew up on the mainland (and especially the Northeast, in my case). If money really isn't a problem, my advice would be to spend some time there first before making such a huge life decision. Good luck though! (We environmentalists need it!!)

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:21 pm

environmentallaw wrote: Good luck though! (We environmentalists need it!!)

What makes you think the OP is an environmentalist? Environmental law does not always (or usually) mean protecting the wetlands and the baby seals.

That said, if the OP already knows he/she wants to do environmental law, you are probably right that he/she is an environmentalist.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”