Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How's the reputation of Berkeley & USC law in the East Coast
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:22 pm 

I don't know if it's just me, but I really have fallen in love with Berkeley. I thought the place was spectacular. And the fact that it is closer to SF, where a lot of my relatives live, is just a bonus. Berkeley is home away from home for me, and my wife agrees quite strongly. Stanford would be nice too. But I just don't get the vibe that I got with Berkeley. I don't know... Maybe I'm an outlier... I hope I get accepted there. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:35 pm 

BruceWayne wrote:
atitz wrote:
wow, thanks guys, especially to IzziesGal for the very informative posts.

I'm not really thrilled about working in the East Coast. I still would want to work in the West Coast, if I were to choose. But I'd like to attend a law school that has at least some recognition in the East Coast for just in case. I'm from Asia and I would be paying full fees. And, if I have to spend that much, I'd rather that my school has some recognition in both Coasts.

I already got into USC last year, but I deferred. I'll be applying to Berkeley, Stanford and UCLA. But if I get into all three I'd go for Berkeley. Been to a Cal campus tour and fell in love with the school right away. I cannot imagine studying somewhere else for law studies. my wife is from NJ, however, and there may be a chance that we would move there or in NY in the future.

Not trying to be a prestige whore, but if you care at all about working for a firm, and you get into all 3, picking any of them other than Stanford would be borderline insane. I don't think you realize the reputation gap between Stanford and Boalt outside of California. Actually, I don't think a lot of Cali people realize that. My friends from California seem to view Berkeley as only being slightly behind Stanford (I've heard that Cali firms feel this way as well) but for people in the rest of the country there's a big difference.

TCR. Stanford places a lot better into biglaw. Anecdotal, but during callbacks on the East Coast, I was interviewed by 2 Stanford grads. I didn't meet a single Boalt grad at any callback.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:53 pm 

IzziesGal wrote:
legends159 wrote:

The stats, which I cannot post show that in the past 10 years, the vast majority of SLS students who get offers at the V10 NYC firms turn them down. Some for the firms Bruce has listed, but mainly for other "more lifestyle-ish" firms in CA. I put lifestyle in quotes b/c it's all relative. no biglaw gig is going to be easy. Most of my class who have offers at the V5 are not taking it. For example one V5 gets 2 to 3 each year but give offers to 10+ (and no it's not Skadden. They get less than that).

That's really interesting. It's almost the total opposite at Berkeley, where people are rankings obsessed. I, too, am more interested in the lifestylish firms and would turn down a V5 or even a V20 for a culture I liked better, and people at Boalt often think I'm nuts for this. Kinda funny that Berkeley, which is ranked lower than Stanford, is more obsessed with Vault rankings than you guys.

It's not necessarily just the fact that they aren't obsessed with prestige, they're not obsessed with prestige as ranked by vault. Munger is loaded with Stanford grads (in fact, I think it may be the only firm in the country where one can use that phrase, other than Munger SLS grads seem to spread themselves out over various firms) and is, to those who realize vault is really best for ranking NY firms, more prestigious than most of the V10.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:18 pm 

Good. Berkeley is considered like GULC/Cornell and USC is considered the same as BC.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:28 pm 

Informative wrote:
Good. Berkeley is considered like GULC/Cornell and USC is considered the same as BC.

...Berkeley is considered much better then GULC/Cornell everywhere. GULC and Cornell are like the lowest in the T14 for a reason. Much better off with Berk then GULC or Cornell no matter what

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:52 pm 

From my own experience this year, the east coast has been good to me (but unlike IG, my concept of east coast extends more than 5 miles from Times Square). It has definitely been better than SF (loads of people for few-ish slots).

Folks I know who targeted DC have been doing well-- certainly not the DC is a bloodbath things I've been seeing elsewhere. In an odd way, I think NOT being local has been a plus. (Note: a plus for those offices who came here for OCI. Obviously, the more offices at OCI means a lower rate could still result in more distinct opportunities)