Happiest Field of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Iapyx
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Happiest Field of Law

Postby Iapyx » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:42 pm

One hears about the long hours, depression, and anxiety that many lawyers face, but I'm sure there are some fields that are happier than others. I would assume that this could also correlate with lifestyle, so what jobs with a JD have the best lifestyle(not factoring in money, but instead family time etc). :D

User avatar
High_Hopes
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby High_Hopes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Not sure there is an answer to this.


The head partner at my mom's firm works 2-3 days a week, travels the country all the time, and drives and Aston Martin. If you put enough into it in your younger years it seems like down the road you can get some of that time back.

BeautifulSW
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby BeautifulSW » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Leaving money aside (is that really possible?) the lawyers who seem the happiest to me, and the happiest I was when I was practicing, was criminal trial work. It just a whole lot of fun and you get courtroom experience right away. If you can get a state DA or PD job, the pay is not great but the hours aren't at all bad and you probably will get good benefits. A federal job is really pretty sweet but they are not easy to get, even in rural areas.

Iapyx
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby Iapyx » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question (I'm new around here), but just how competitive are these federal positions. I've researched them a bit but can't find any stats. Thanks!

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:32 pm

People who make the most money. It's really all there is to law. Money=happiness. Don't let anyone say otherwise.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Iapyx wrote:Sorry if this is a silly question (I'm new around here), but just how competitive are these federal positions. I've researched them a bit but can't find any stats. Thanks!


Federal prosecutors? Extremely competitive, as in one of the hardest jobs to get.


And TCR is Bird Law.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Happiest Field of Law?

Easy; whatever field you work in as a summer associate. SA'ing is the sweetest gig out there. Food, drink, and at some firms women. All with very low expectations with regards to work product.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:29 pm

For me, the happiest field of law is whichever field can land me a position on Google's legal team.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby r6_philly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:37 pm

ResolutePear wrote:For me, the happiest field of law is whichever field can land me a position on Google's legal team.


May not be that way for much longer.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:For me, the happiest field of law is whichever field can land me a position on Google's legal team.


May not be that way for much longer.


Then I'll join the masses of people who look at themselves as failed for being a lawyer.

colovia
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby colovia » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:32 am

I've heard tax law more than any other field as the happiest field of law. Makes sense--you can really dive into your work, serve either individuals or corporations, have predictable hours, and fight the good fight all at the same time.

User avatar
bmwhype2
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:49 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby bmwhype2 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:41 am

colovia wrote:I've heard tax law more than any other field as the happiest field of law. Makes sense--you can really dive into your work, serve either individuals or corporations, have predictable hours, and fight the good fight all at the same time.

the good fight. lol

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby Renzo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:46 am

There's no answer to this. It's like asking what type of pie is objectively best.

FWIW, the lawyers I know how are happiest are people who have very competitive personalities, and enjoy the conflict/competition of litigation. But this doesn't mean that litigation makes people happy, or that litigators are happier on average than other practitioners.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:47 am

Little fluffy kitten law, from what I've heard.
Image



Wouldn't you want to represent this guy?
Last edited by Adjudicator on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Renzo wrote:There's no answer to this. It's like asking what type of pie is objectively best.

FWIW, the lawyers I know how are happiest are people who have very competitive personalities, and enjoy the conflict/competition of litigation. But this doesn't mean that litigation makes people happy, or that litigators are happier on average than other practitioners.

Apple.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Renzo wrote:There's no answer to this. It's like asking what type of pie is objectively best.

FWIW, the lawyers I know how are happiest are people who have very competitive personalities, and enjoy the conflict/competition of litigation. But this doesn't mean that litigation makes people happy, or that litigators are happier on average than other practitioners.

Apple.


Google trumps Apple, sir.

Though to be fair - if you wanted to be as evil as possible with the best possible swanky life... it'd be a RIAA or MPAA lawyer.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby r6_philly » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Google trumps Apple, sir.


Why? I like companies that actually turn profits with their properties.

Besides, there isn't some antitrust issues that may be looming over Apple soon I don't think.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:59 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Renzo wrote:There's no answer to this. It's like asking what type of pie is objectively best.

FWIW, the lawyers I know how are happiest are people who have very competitive personalities, and enjoy the conflict/competition of litigation. But this doesn't mean that litigation makes people happy, or that litigators are happier on average than other practitioners.

Apple.


Google trumps Apple, sir.

Though to be fair - if you wanted to be as evil as possible with the best possible swanky life... it'd be a RIAA or MPAA lawyer.

nou
Image

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:02 pm

If only there were a field of law that combines kittens and apple pie into one practice area. That would be the happiest field of law for sure.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Renzo wrote:There's no answer to this. It's like asking what type of pie is objectively best.

FWIW, the lawyers I know how are happiest are people who have very competitive personalities, and enjoy the conflict/competition of litigation. But this doesn't mean that litigation makes people happy, or that litigators are happier on average than other practitioners.

Apple.


Google trumps Apple, sir.

Though to be fair - if you wanted to be as evil as possible with the best possible swanky life... it'd be a RIAA or MPAA lawyer.

nou
Image


That looks like third base.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:51 pm

Probate, Estate Planning, etc. Seems a bit low stress, but repetitive.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby Renzo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:46 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Apple.

Fuck apple--that shit's for little old ladies. I'm on some chocolate macadamia coconut cream pie. Or some 5-Layer Raspberry Chocolate Pie. Hell, even a plain old raspberry rhubarb beats plain old apple.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Renzo wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Apple.

Fuck apple--that shit's for little old ladies. I'm on some chocolate macadamia coconut cream pie. Or some 5-Layer Raspberry Chocolate Pie. Hell, even a plain old raspberry rhubarb beats plain old apple.



Orgasmic Cheesecake and Cannabis Brownies.

aheisman
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby aheisman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:13 am

.
Last edited by aheisman on Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Happiest Field of Law

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:22 am

Having worked in firms of all sizes... I can tell you that happiness is tied more to the culture of your office than anything else.

I recently left a midlaw job for a small firm job. I am still in a major city, still service a good client base, still work a lot of hours (though not as many as I used to), and still make roughly the same money... But at the end of the day, when I leave work, I am happier than I used to be.

To be happy as a lawyer, you should be working in a practice area that interests you with people that you like and respect and who will like and respect you in return. This is not an easy thing to do, but it is possible. You just cannot be afraid to think outside the box and try somethine new/different.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tinafeyclone and 2 guests