University of Missouri Kansas City - ok school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WayneRooney

New

University of Missouri Kansas City - ok school?

Post by WayneRooney » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:30 pm

I was wondering about how University of Missouri Kansas City(UMKC) would be for law school. Kansas City isnt a bad size city - half million, 2 million including the burbs. A surprising number of large firms there. I also plan on staying in Missouri or Illinois.

Since I am a Missouri resident, and it is a state school, (and therefore graduating with relatively low debt), would this be a decent school to go for a decent job? decent for me is 65k a year plus.

Thanks all.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: University of Missouri Kansas City - ok school?

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:36 pm

I didn't even know the school existed. I will say though that if you have no dillusions about the fact that the only place you may get a job is in KC, and can attend with little or no debt, I can't see why it's a terrible option.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Missouri resident here. I understand UMKC places decently in KC (at least, more so than its rank would suggest) and it faces little competition in the market. Of course, it's also a small market that's fairly saturated with UMKC grads- so your grades and connections will take on more significance than at many other schools. If you're set on working in KC, you might also apply to Mizzou.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Mizzou is probably the better option. Also, SLU will give you more movement around the state or into illinois.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Mizzou is probably the better option. Also, SLU will give you more movement around the state or into illinois.
I'm not intimately familiar with UMKC's placement but, as a current SLU undergrad with decent knowledge of their law school, I can tell you that SLU's placement is very, very local to St. Louis- especially ITE. The best advice I can give you is to go to SLU if you have a desire to practice in St. Louis. If you want KC, I can almost guarantee you UMKC would be a better call. And, if you want more flexibility in the state (with a slight emphasis on KC), then head to Mizzou. Or, assuming you have some Missouri connections, just study hard for the LSAT, get a 167+, and head to WUSTL. Problem solved.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:14 pm

U Kansas or U Missouri are going to be better for you. I don't know if KU would be too expensive though given how you phrased your OP, but they are reasonably ranked (67th I think) and place well in KC.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:35 pm

beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Mizzou is probably the better option. Also, SLU will give you more movement around the state or into illinois.
I'm not intimately familiar with UMKC's placement but, as a current SLU undergrad with decent knowledge of their law school, I can tell you that SLU's placement is very, very local to St. Louis- especially ITE. The best advice I can give you is to go to SLU if you have a desire to practice in St. Louis. If you want KC, I can almost guarantee you UMKC would be a better call. And, if you want more flexibility in the state (with a slight emphasis on KC), then head to Mizzou. Or, assuming you have some Missouri connections, just study hard for the LSAT, get a 167+, and head to WUSTL. Problem solved.
I know several SLU graduates who have crossed the river. Maybe not into big Chicago firms but to Collinsville, Edwardsville, etc.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:42 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
I know several SLU graduates who have crossed the river. Maybe not into big Chicago firms but to Collinsville, Edwardsville, etc.
Yes, I'm aware... I just didn't think that was worth mentioning. I know of people who've taken their SLU JDs all over the towns in southern Illinois- but those are some pretty small-time jobs, and most of these people had a reason for wanting to practice in those markets. For purposes of this discussion (and the vast majority of discussions on TLS), I just assume that people are looking at cities. And ITE, the one and only city you can count on with a SLU degree is St. Louis.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:09 am

2014 wrote:U Kansas or U Missouri are going to be better for you. I don't know if KU would be too expensive though given how you phrased your OP, but they are reasonably ranked (67th I think) and place well in KC.
Please don't pay attention to the rankings between KU and Mizzou. If you are deciding between those two in the future, go to whichever is cheaper.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mapnoren

New

Post by mapnoren » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:28 pm

Do not go to SLU under any circumstances. Way overpriced and extremely regional, you will most likely be locked in Stl. UMKC might be a little risky in this market, considering that Kansas City accepts students from WUSTL, MU and KU first in most situations. MU is a good bet if you are content with just staying in Missouri and the price is nice. However, I suggest you go to WUSTL if you get the chance. It is private and more expensive, but the other schools can't even touch it in terms of reputation. Your employment prospects in Kansas City, St. Louis and Chicago would be very strong. (Lesser in Chicago).

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:32 pm

beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Yes, I'm aware... I just didn't think that was worth mentioning. I know of people who've taken their SLU JDs all over the towns in southern Illinois- but those are some pretty small-time jobs, and most of these people had a reason for wanting to practice in those markets. For purposes of this discussion (and the vast majority of discussions on TLS), I just assume that people are looking at cities. And ITE, the one and only city you can count on with a SLU degree is St. Louis.
I'm by no means advocating SLU as somewhere I would want to go or somewhere that someone should pay full price. But i'd be shocked if the placement wasn't better at SLU than at UMKC. Now if the OP is dead seat on KC (which is post doesn't seem to indicate) then I would go to UMKC. But otherwise SLU is likely to give the OP better placement. Now personally I wouldn't attend either but I still believe SLU>UMKC.

Chairman

New

Post by Chairman » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:46 am

SLU --> St. Louis
UMKC --> Kansas City

Once you get beyond that level of analysis, it's really all speculation. Draw a 50-mile radius around each school. If you want to work in that area, going to that school is potentially an okay choice. If not, well, it's probably not a good plan.

OP - if you're going for Missouri generally, I suspect MU is a better choice.

Cmoss

New

Post by Cmoss » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:28 pm

or pick a law firm in the area you want to work for and search the attorney's schools UMKC shows up a lot a shook as well as husch in kc

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Theantiscalia, I can understand UIUC or Wash U, but I can imagine Iowa doing much for you, unless you are dead set on leaving Missouri.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”