Choosing a school for secondary markets? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bvv5003

New

Choosing a school for secondary markets?

Post by Bvv5003 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Choosing a school for secondary markets?

Having been lurking on TLS for a while now I’ve gathered that in order to have a decent shot at a good job in one the big markets (NY, DC, CA etc.) one would want to attend the highest ranked school he/she can get in to.

However, if one is interested in smaller markets (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami etc.), but has no ties to any of those areas, does the above generalization still hold?

Would an individual desiring to work in smaller markets be better served attending a regional, but still respectable school?

For instance, if one wanted to work in TX (no real ties) is he/she better off at UT, or one of MVP?
What about Atlanta etc.?

Diamond

Re: Choosing a school for secondary markets?

Post by 20160810 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:36 am

In markets like that, ties to the area are about as important as where you went to school. For instance, if you're from TX or ATL and want to go back there, that will play great in interviews. Go to the best school you get into, and you'll be fine (depending on the school BigTex firms might not come to OCI, but you can always direct apply). If you're not from the area or don't have ties, then you need to go to school in the best school that feeds into the market in which you want to work, so schools like UT for Texas or Duke/Vandy for ATL would be good choices.

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:37 am

Texas loves its own and thus i believe its something like: HY>UT>T14
Atlanta: Duke/Vriginia>Vandy>Emory>Georgia
Miami: T14>Florida

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:42 pm

SBL wrote:In markets like that, ties to the area are about as important as where you went to school. For instance, if you're from TX or ATL and want to go back there, that will play great in interviews. Go to the best school you get into, and you'll be fine (depending on the school BigTex firms might not come to OCI, but you can always direct apply). If you're not from the area or don't have ties, then you need to go to school in the best school that feeds into the market in which you want to work, so schools like UT for Texas or Duke/Vandy for ATL would be good choices.
Curious about how this might apply for me. I'm originally from Cincinnati (graduated high school there, anyway), where I think I'd like to end back up by the time I have graduated. Parents, extended family all live there.

I'm targeting places like Ohio State (166/3.69) and Cincinnati, thinking those will be regional powers that will lessen my debt (scholarships) and have name reputation back home.

But I could go somewhere a little higher up in the rankings I assume, say BC/W&M/W&L etc... and just play up how I want to go back home...

Does this logic apply for me? Go to a school that's maybe 10-20 spots better than, say, Ohio State, and play up local connections in interviews and be just fine? Debt aversion might make this a pointless exercise, of course... but, on the flip side, what about somewhere T2 like UT-K, which would be in-state for me (and they have a ridiculously low in-state tuition + I'm guessing a decent scholarship for my score)....

Sorry to intrude on your thread OP :-)

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:49 pm

I'll let you know in a few years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:59 pm

chrisnashville wrote:
SBL wrote:In markets like that, ties to the area are about as important as where you went to school. For instance, if you're from TX or ATL and want to go back there, that will play great in interviews. Go to the best school you get into, and you'll be fine (depending on the school BigTex firms might not come to OCI, but you can always direct apply). If you're not from the area or don't have ties, then you need to go to school in the best school that feeds into the market in which you want to work, so schools like UT for Texas or Duke/Vandy for ATL would be good choices.
Curious about how this might apply for me. I'm originally from Cincinnati (graduated high school there, anyway), where I think I'd like to end back up by the time I have graduated. Parents, extended family all live there.

I'm targeting places like Ohio State (166/3.69) and Cincinnati, thinking those will be regional powers that will lessen my debt (scholarships) and have name reputation back home.

But I could go somewhere a little higher up in the rankings I assume, say BC/W&M/W&L etc... and just play up how I want to go back home...

Does this logic apply for me? Go to a school that's maybe 10-20 spots better than, say, Ohio State, and play up local connections in interviews and be just fine? Debt aversion might make this a pointless exercise, of course... but, on the flip side, what about somewhere T2 like UT-K, which would be in-state for me (and they have a ridiculously low in-state tuition + I'm guessing a decent scholarship for my score)....

If you want to work in Cincinnati, I think OSU is a better choice that BC/etc. I might consider Vandy or WashU if you get in though.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:06 am

chrisnashville wrote:

I'm interested in Ohio markets, and I had the same worries going through my application process. I spoke with several attorneys in the cities where I'd be interested in working, and they informed by decision. For me, it came down to OSU and Vandy. And most of the advice I received pointed me towards Vandy. I recommend finding alums from your undergrad that have went to the different schools you'd consider. Reach out, and see what they have to say. FWIW, I think OSU would be a much smarter move, going back to Ohio, than say BC/WM/WL.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”