Wash U, GW or Fordham?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School?

Wash U
23%
GW
56%
Fordham
21%

Total votes: 61

sanetruth

Wash U, GW or Fordham?

Postby sanetruth » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:28 pm

The knee-jerk reaction of most people is going to be 'it depends on where you want to practice'. Clearly, that makes it easy. Fordham for NYC, GW for DC, and Wash U for Chicago/Midwest. But what about if i'm not sure where I want to be. All of those markets are options to me, and California as well. So, without a market preference, should I just go for the highest ranked school?

romothesavior

Re: Wash U, GW or Fordham?

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:29 pm

sanetruth wrote:The knee-jerk reaction of most people is going to be 'it depends on where you want to practice'. Clearly, that makes it easy. Fordham for NYC, GW for DC, and Wash U for Chicago/Midwest. But what about if i'm not sure where I want to be. All of those markets are options to me, and California as well. So, without a market preference, should I just go for the highest ranked school?

In the absence of a market preference, pick the cheapest one.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:33 pm

sanetruth wrote:The knee-jerk reaction of most people is going to be 'it depends on where you want to practice'. Clearly, that makes it easy. Fordham for NYC, GW for DC, and Wash U for Chicago/Midwest. But what about if i'm not sure where I want to be. All of those markets are options to me, and California as well. So, without a market preference, should I just go for the highest ranked school?

Did you get in to all of those? If no, post again when you actually do. If yes, how much money did you get at each?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:36 pm

rad law wrote:

Did you get in to all of those? If no, post again when you actually do. If yes, how much money did you get at each?

It is mid-September. No way OP has acceptances from all of those yet.

OP, I will say though... I go to WUSTL and I love it here. I think I am usually pretty good about being unbiased towards it on TLS (more often than not, I tell people to pick other schools over WUSTL), but PM me if you have any questions about the school or the city.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Fordham is clearly the least "national" of the three. GWU and WUSTL grads are working all over the country. It's just not the norm. I tend to think a WUSTL and GWU grads are equal. I do believe that a GWU grad may have an easier time getting into NY than would a WUSTL grad. As for Cali, I can only guess (and my guess would be based on region) that WUSTL grads might have an easier time getting in. However, GWU has the best name recognition of the three. If you're trying to keep your options as wide open as possible, Fordham would be out of the race.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:It is mid-September. No way OP has acceptances from all of those yet.

I didn't want to be as much of douche as I normally am and post "COME BACK WHEN YOU ACTUALLY GET IN" but now I just posted it, so oh well.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:40 pm

PDaddy wrote:Fordham is clearly the least "national" of the three. GWU and WUSTL grads are working all over the country. It's just not the norm. I tend to think a WUSTL and GWU grads are equal. I do believe that a GWU grad may have an easier time getting into NY than would a WUSTL grad. As for Cali, I can only guess (and my guess would be based on region) that WUSTL grads might have an easier time getting in. However, GWU has the best name recognition of the three. If you're trying to keep your options as wide open as possible, Fordham would be out of the race.

For perhaps the first time ever, I agree with you. I would also imagine that Fordham would be the most expensive, so unless you want NYC, no reason to pick it.

OP, what are your numbers and where else are you applying?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:03 pm

1) GW (places in NYC, DC, and CA)
2) WUSTL
3) Fordham (least national and most expensive)

nicetry10023

Postby nicetry10023 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

I go to Fordham, so I'm biased. But, if you really don't have a preference, I would have thought that the substantially bigger NYC legal market would be a factor. I don't know anything about where WUSTL students get recruited from, but it seems that DC (at least biglaw) has been hit especially hard and class sizes among firms there are quite small these days. Who knows in 2 years, of course.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:07 am

All things equal choose GW. If you choose Wash U you really pigeon hole yourself into working in St. Louis or Washington State. If you think that's bad, most New Yorkers think Fordham is in the Bronx. GW has national cachet since he was neither Republican nor Democrat and since he was both Southerner and the consumate nationalist statesman.

I would base my selection on the type of campus you like. Or if you don't like campuses at all choose Fordham.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:10 am

MrAnon wrote:All things equal choose GW. If you choose Wash U you really pigeon hole yourself into working in St. Louis or Washington State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis,_Missouri

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:11 am

MrAnon wrote:All things equal choose GW. If you choose Wash U you really pigeon hole yourself into working in St. Louis or Washington State. If you think that's bad, most New Yorkers think Fordham is in the Bronx. GW has national cachet since he was neither Republican nor Democrat and since he was both Southerner and the consumate nationalist statesman.

I would base my selection on the type of campus you like. Or if you don't like campuses at all choose Fordham.

:?:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:12 am

MrAnon wrote: GW has national cachet since he was neither Republican nor Democrat and since he was both Southerner and the consumate nationalist statesman.

Oh... I get it. You're joking. Haha okay, well played, you got me.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:13 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
MrAnon wrote:All things equal choose GW. If you choose Wash U you really pigeon hole yourself into working in St. Louis or Washington State. If you think that's bad, most New Yorkers think Fordham is in the Bronx. GW has national cachet since he was neither Republican nor Democrat and since he was both Southerner and the consumate nationalist statesman.

Clearly flame, as Fordham is, in fact, in the Bronx. And the claim that GW has a campus.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:20 am

Next time, be funny.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:22 am

it's cute how people like to play these hypo games before they get scholly offers

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:24 am

IAFG wrote:it's cute how people like to play these hypo games before they get scholly offers

HYS? Which should I choose? No LSAT score yet but pting in the mid 160s, AND I was president of my sorority! I figure I am a lock.

nicetry10023

Postby nicetry10023 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:36 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Clearly flame, as Fordham is, in fact, in the Bronx. And the claim that GW has a campus.

uhhhh

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:34 am

nicetry10023 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

uhhhh

yeeeeah, fordham law is actually not in the Bronx.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:52 pm

im_blue wrote:1) GW (places in NYC, DC, and CA)
2) WUSTL
3) Fordham (least national and most expensive)

TITCR

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:33 am

sundance95 wrote:
IAFG wrote:it's cute how people like to play these hypo games before they get scholly offers

HYS? Which should I choose? No LSAT score yet but pting in the mid 160s, AND I was president of my sorority! I figure I am a lock.

Me too, (although not president of sorority but other good softs). But I figure HYS my reach though not a lock! If I could just get a 175 on the LSAT!

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:35 am

So guys, I'm planning to get a 175 on the LSAT. 3.5 GPA + good softs. Which T14 should I go too if I get in?

Duke
UVA
Northwestern
UChicago (reach I know!)
Georgetown

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:39 am

thegor1987 wrote:So guys, I'm planning to get a 175 on the LSAT. 3.5 GPA + good softs. Which T14 should I go too if I get in?

Duke
UVA
Northwestern
UChicago (reach I know!)
Georgetown

You should take the LSAT and come back to us. Just because your PTs are around 175 doesn't mean your actual score will be. Some people lose as many as 8-10 points on test day.

You'd probably get into all of them with a 175 (perhaps even Chicago, I dunno) and you would then have a lot of things to weigh (locational preference, scholarship money, what you want to do after you graduate, etc. etc.) But go get an LSAT and get into these schools before asking.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:45 am

romothesavior wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:So guys, I'm planning to get a 175 on the LSAT. 3.5 GPA + good softs. Which T14 should I go too if I get in?

Duke
UVA
Northwestern
UChicago (reach I know!)
Georgetown

You should take the LSAT and come back to us. Just because your PTs are around 175 doesn't mean your actual score will be. Some people lose as many as 8-10 points on test day.

You'd probably get into all of them with a 175 (perhaps even Chicago, I dunno) and you would then have a lot of things to weigh (locational preference, scholarship money, what you want to do after you graduate, etc. etc.) But go get an LSAT and get into these schools before asking.

I think/hope poster was trying to be funny.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 am

KMaine wrote:I think/hope poster was trying to be funny.

I kinda wondered that too.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”