Sports and top law schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Sports and top law schools

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Anyone leaning to one school over another for sports related reasons?

E.g. I'm a college football fan so if I get into Stanford and Michigan, the need for a good football team might push in the direction of Stanford.

[All ribbing aside watching Michigan hockey for 3 years would be great, though I can't say it would sway a decision.]

So, I welcome ranking the t14 in various sports programs.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Sports and top law schools

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:08 pm

I think Stanford actually has the best overall sports program in the nation (as judged by number of directors cups).

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:04 pm

There are only five schools, IMO, in the t-14 that have any sort of nationally recognized sports program: SMVDG.

In ranking these five, it would come down to whether you really like one sport more than all the others or if you would rather go to a school that is fairly well-rounded or a combination of the two.

M is the best all around IMO.
MVDG all have pretty good basketball programs with D being superior.
SMV all have pretty good football programs with S and M being superior.

Thus, my rankings would be:

1) Duke (Being nationally dominant at one popular sport would be cool)
2) Michigan (solid all around and historically very good at football and basketball)
3) Stanford
4) Georgetown
5) Virginia
6) Rest of t-14

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:24 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:Anyone leaning to one school over another for sports related reasons?

E.g. I'm a college football fan so if I get into Stanford and Michigan, the need for a good football team might push in the direction of Stanford.

[All ribbing aside watching Michigan hockey for 3 years would be great, though I can't say it would sway a decision.]

You would choose Stanford over Michigan on the grounds of football programs??????????????
Are you serious...?

I'd put Virginia over Georgetown in the above list. Gtown is only relevant in basketball and not even on a yearly basis. Virginia was 3rd in the directors cup and is improving in revenue sports.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:28 pm

Duke and Michigan are definitely far and away better then the rest of the schools athletically. Stanford and Virginia are yearly middle of the pack schools. Georgetown is steadily getting worse. I played at their soccer stadium and it was the worst d1 field i've ever played on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:45 pm

You say your a fan of college football, and you'd rather go to Stanford over Michigan because of that????? fucking retarded dude. Go watch football at stanford with 40,000 rich snobs people instead of the 113,000 in the BIG HOUSE after tailgating for 5 hours. You are no fan of college football. BTW the only reason stanford is decent is cause of Harbaugh, and where did he play college ball???? Michigan

That being said, Michigan, by far has the best sports program of the bunch, if just for sheer excitement, the sports culture at Michigan cannot be beat by any other Top school other than maybe Texas. Virginia does not come close and stanford certainty does not.

sorry, but that opening post pissed me off

edit: Duke and Durham suck

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:47 pm

jnorsky wrote:You say your a fan of college football, and you'd rather go to Stanford over Michigan because of that????? fucking retarded dude. Go watch football at stanford with 40,000 rich snobs people instead of the 113,000 in the BIG HOUSE after tailgating for 5 hours. You are no fan of college football. BTW the only reason stanford is decent is cause of Harbaugh, and where did he play college ball???? Michigan

That being said, Michigan, by far has the best sports program of the bunch, if just for sheer excitement, the sports culture at Michigan cannot be beat by any other Top school other than maybe Texas. Virginia does not come close and stanford certainty does not.

Lol, he was clearly taking a jab at you. You only played Umass today you shouldn't be so riled up, well if you had a defense anyways.

Also, if you take every sport into consideration, Duke probably beats Michigan. Of course football wise michigan wins, but basketball, football, soccer, baseball, swimming, etc combined would probably lean in Dukes favor.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:53 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:There are only five schools, IMO, in the t-14 that have any sort of nationally recognized sports program: SMVDG.

In ranking these five, it would come down to whether you really like one sport more than all the others or if you would rather go to a school that is fairly well-rounded or a combination of the two.

2) Michigan (solid all around and historically very good at football and basketball)
3) Stanford
4) Georgetown
5) Virginia
6) Rest of t-14
Egregious anti-Cal trolling.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:55 pm

SBL wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:There are only five schools, IMO, in the t-14 that have any sort of nationally recognized sports program: SMVDG.

3) Stanford
4) Georgetown
5) Virginia
6) Rest of t-14
Actually, this is credited, Cal is probably on the level of Virginia and Georgetown.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:17 pm

jnorsky wrote:You say your a fan of college football, and you'd rather go to Stanford over Michigan because of that????? fucking retarded dude. Go watch football at stanford with 40,000 rich snobs people instead of the 113,000 in the BIG HOUSE after tailgating for 5 hours. You are no fan of college football. BTW the only reason stanford is decent is cause of Harbaugh, and where did he play college ball???? Michigan

Someone clearly just got home drunk off of a 5 hour tailgate and a glorious 5 point victory over UMass (must have felt just like old times).

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

Lol, he was clearly taking a jab at you. You only played Umass today you shouldn't be so riled up, well if you had a defense anyways.

Also, if you take every sport into consideration, Duke probably beats Michigan. Of course football wise michigan wins, but basketball, football, soccer, baseball, swimming, etc combined would probably lean in Dukes favor.
Who cares about every sport? Field Hockey? Swimming? Golf? And if you want a school that has a sports culture, Duke is good but a big public like texas or michigan cannot be beat. And duke basketball sucks and is boring, who cares if they are good. I wouldnt pay to watch that shit.

Yea our D sucks, its pathetic, thankfully we have a future heisman finalist at QB. Plus who knows if the first team D was even in most of the game.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:33 pm

jnorsky wrote:Who cares about every sport?
The Real Jack McCoy wrote:So, I welcome ranking the t14 in various sports programs.
jnorsky wrote:Yea our D sucks, its pathetic, thankfully we have a future heisman finalist at QB. Plus who knows if the first team D was even in most of the game.
Yes, the second team defense was playing while you guys were in danger of losing to a I-AA team. Also, anyone who is already putting him as a future heisman finalist surely has memory loss, considering that is the same thing they said about Tate last year.

takehold

New

Post by takehold » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:34 pm

SBL wrote:

3) Stanford
4) Georgetown
5) Virginia
6) Rest of t-14
Thank you. Georgetown ahead of Cal??? Are you kidding? Apparently "any sort of nationally recognized sports program" excludes programs which have consistently finished in the top 10 of the Directors' Cup for the past eight years, all while being big rivals with the programs that are perennially #1 and #2/3.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:48 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
The Real Jack McCoy wrote:So, I welcome ranking the t14 in various sports programs.
jnorsky wrote:Yea our D sucks, its pathetic, thankfully we have a future heisman finalist at QB. Plus who knows if the first team D was even in most of the game.
Yes, the second team defense was playing while you guys were in danger of losing to a I-AA team. Also, anyone who is already putting him as a future heisman finalist surely has memory loss, considering that is the same thing they said about Tate last year.

What? no one said that about tate? Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson arent on the same planet as athletes. The only thing you could say about tate forcier is that he has a lot of football intelligence, but its pretty obvious these guys are not even close to comparable. This dude put up 500 total yards against notre dame, hes a sophmore 3 games in, look at espn.com, clearly their college football analysts have memory loss too for putting denard up there. And it wouldnt surpise me if they did put the second team in most of the game, they've done it before against 1-AA teams even when they might lose, and anyway, our D sucks, never said it didnt. They had like 50 missed tackles against notre dame, pretty easy to tell they suck.

if anything rank the sports culture, most college sports teams are on / off, you never know if they are gonna be good other than the big sports.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:57 pm

jnorsky wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

What? no one said that about tate? Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson arent on the same planet as athletes. The only thing you could say about tate forcier is that he has a lot of football intelligence, but its pretty obvious these guys are not even close to comparable. This dude put up 500 total yards against notre dame, hes a sophmore 3 games in, look at espn.com, clearly their college football analysts have memory loss too for putting denard up there. And it wouldnt surpise me if they did put the second team in most of the game, they've done it before against 1-AA teams even when they might lose, and anyway, our D sucks, never said it didnt. They had like 50 missed tackles against notre dame, pretty easy to tell they suck.

if anything rank the sports culture, most college sports teams are on / off, you never know if they are gonna be good other than the big sports.
Ok, well avoiding the Tate conversation, ir is WAY too early to be declaring him anything. He did great the first couple of games against some very very poor defensive teams. You have to wait for the bulk of the Big Ten schedule to say anything. Also, generally, you have to be in at least a BCS bowl type team to get the heisman, and with that defense Michigan seems to be very far away from competing with Ohio State, Iowa, Nebraska, and maybe even wisky/penn state.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:59 pm

You know it's a tough time for Michigan sports when people can legitimately rank Stanford ahead of them.

takehold

New

Post by takehold » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:05 pm

BruceWayne wrote:You know it's a tough time for Michigan sports when people can legitimately rank Stanford ahead of them.
Stanford has one of the best (if not the best) athletics programs in the country and has been ranked as such for about the past decade.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Lol at Michigan being good at football this year.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:25 pm

takehold wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:You know it's a tough time for Michigan sports when people can legitimately rank Stanford ahead of them.
Stanford has one of the best (if not the best) athletics programs in the country and has been ranked as such for about the past decade.
I'm talking about the revenue sports.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:53 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
takehold wrote:
I'm talking about the revenue sports.
+1

Nobody gives a shit about women's golf.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:29 pm

1) Excluding Cal was wrong.
2) The director's cup should not be the measuring stick you use to judge a school's athletics.

If you want to go to a school that is good at rowing and wrestling and has an overall high point total in the director's cup versus a school that has either a nationally recognized and competitive football or basketball program (or both) then you are not a sports fan and this thread is irrelevant to you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Michigan.

/thread.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:53 pm

J-tow10 wrote:Michigan.

/thread.
This could be TCR. It's just sad that none of the t14's actually have good sports programs.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:56 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:Anyone leaning to one school over another for sports related reasons?

Definitely a plus in the Stanford column for me. Plus I really, really want to play golf on the Stanford course. So I need to get accepted there, haha :mrgreen:.

thesybarite

Bronze

Post by thesybarite » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Women's Rowing and/or Basketball? Anyone know anything??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”