Pepperdine vs Loyola (Safety)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ag912

Pepperdine vs Loyola (Safety)

Postby ag912 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Right now I have a 3.5/170 and I want to stay in california. So if i dont get into a t20 im going to start looking at regional law schools. It seems the only viable options are hastings, pepperdine, and loyola. Considering that Hastings is the first among the three. Would you guys recommend Pepperdine or Loyola and why?

hijodehombre

Re: Pepperdine vs Loyola (Safety)

Postby hijodehombre » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Although they're similarly ranked, they are two very different schools, imo. Maybe you should visit both.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:15 pm

With your stats I don't think you should be dipping lower than UCH, UCD, and UCI.

ag912

Postby ag912 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:19 pm

coming from a public school, i'd really prefer not to go to UCD or UCI. Specifically, the latter has no alumni and no track record.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:22 pm

ag912 wrote:coming from a public school, i'd really prefer not to go to UCD or UCI. Specifically, the latter has no alumni and no track record.

Why no to UCD but yes to UCH?

I can understand the hesitancy with UCI, but UCD and UCH are peer schools that are easily stronger than Loyola and Pepperdine.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:22 pm

With your stats I think you should be able to demand (and get) a full ride without stipulations from Pepperdine or Loyola. At Pepp that also comes with a living stipend (don't know how loyola's works) which is good since COL at all the California schools will be ridiculous besides UCD. I'm also confused why your big on UCH and not UCI or UCD...

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:03 pm

ag912 wrote:coming from a public school, i'd really prefer not to go to UCD or UCI. Specifically, the latter has no alumni and no track record.

The difference between public and private UG schools does not really translate to public and private LS, but to each his own. Good luck.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:06 am

arhmcpo wrote:With your stats I think you should be able to demand (and get) a full ride without stipulations from Pepperdine or Loyola. At Pepp that also comes with a living stipend (don't know how loyola's works) which is good since COL at all the California schools will be ridiculous besides UCD. I'm also confused why your big on UCH and not UCI or UCD...

There is a Hastings 1L who posted in the law students' forum about how he and his study group are finishing all of their course outlines for fall semester this week. That would never happen at Davis.

Also we're top-30.

Just sayin.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:19 am

With a 3.5/170, you should ED to either USC or UCLA, and just apply RD to UCH and UCD.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Check out both places, as I did, and you'll *probably* come to the same conclusion as I.

Both are similarly ranked, with similar tuition. One is in Malibu, the other in downtown LA.

Something to keep in mind, Pepperdine has advanced quickly in USWR, with a celebrity dean. With a more 'academic' dean getting appointed this January expect the rankings to jump considerably.

Just my 2 cents.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:52 pm

I know you want to stay in California but you should also consider which part of Cali you want to be in...

UCH and UCD will most likely leave you in Norcal

Pepperdine and Loyola are going to mean LA area

Irvine I'm not sure but most likely Orange County

Also, in LA, there is much more talk about Loyola than Pepperdine when it comes to law school. Don't choose Pepperdine because it's in MALIBU that's ridiculous.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:11 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:Also, in LA, there is much more talk about Loyola than Pepperdine when it comes to law school. Don't choose Pepperdine because it's in MALIBU that's ridiculous.

To be fair, this is not my experience. Loyola is more centralized than Pepperdine is, as Malibu is a fairly rural city compared to the rest of LA county, however watching OCI going on recently, and meeting people from Latham & Watkins, Jones Day, and one guy from O'Melveny is impressive as I'm not privy to OCI (1L); these are just people I've run into in the lobby. Granted, it is not a UCLA type of big law experience, asserting that Loyola is talked about more than Pepperdine might be accurate in some circles, it is probably not the norm in the LA market. I would assume they are looked at, and talked about in a similar light.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”