Ohio Law Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MrAnon

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby MrAnon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Attrition rate is high because they drop the bottom xx% of the class after 1L. All or most lower ranked schools flunk out the bottom of their class. It makes the remaining members of the class seem like a more competitive bunch. It certainly does not hurt the school. They get rid of weaker performers and keep the $40k tuition dollars from every departing 1L.

The absolute truth is that anyone other than the top 5 or 6 people at these schools has horrible employment prospects and you would be better off continuing to do whatever it is you are doing now than attending these schools.

bradley

Postby bradley » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:26 pm

Delete.
Last edited by bradley on Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:27 pm

bradley wrote:I was just talking to a friend who goes to UT and literally 3-4 people in their class of 90 or so students has a legal job lined up for after graduation. DO NOT GO TO ANY OF THESE SCHOOLS.

Toledo?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:27 pm

pjo wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
pjo wrote:Wow, I'm sure OP appreciates everyones opinion but maybe yins could have at least attempted to answer his/her question. After all, he didn't ask "should I go to law school" but 'where". OP, if I were you I'd go to Akron. CSU is going to have to compete with Case, Capital is going to have to compete with OSU. Akron grads are all Akron has. Now Akron may not be as large as Cleveland or Columbus, but if you just want to do litigation or be a prosecutor, I'm sure you could do alright with going to Akron and practicing in Akron or surrounding areas (Boardman, Youngstown Solon etc.). Also, I would still apply to Cincy, case and OSU bc one of them may bite, you never know. Yes, everyone on here is right, Biglaw is probably out of the question. And yes, your decision may not be the smartest financially (although Akron gives out the second most amount of scholarship, after Toledo). But at the same time, I know grads from Akron and Toledo that are practicing and doing fine. Sure, John Grisham isn't going to right about about one of their cases but whatever. Hope this helps.

Akron grads have to compete with everyone in the state of Ohio and some people outside of it too. Even for jobs in Akron.

O really?? Because theres so many T14 and out of state law grads itching for the chance to practice in the beautiful city of Akron. Cleveland has trouble attracting grads there, let alone Akron.

Don't be blind.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
bradley wrote:I was just talking to a friend who goes to UT and literally 3-4 people in their class of 90 or so students has a legal job lined up for after graduation. DO NOT GO TO ANY OF THESE SCHOOLS.

Toledo?

UToronto maybe?

University of Texas?

....I kid, I kid

bradley

Postby bradley » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

Toledo?

Yes.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:01 pm

FWIW, I visited Capital last year and was actually pretty surprised, all of the students I talked to had jobs and were happy. The general impression was that in cbus Capital does about as well as tOSU. Of course Capital's reach is just about as broad as I-270. So the real question (the one missed by the above NEVER GO ANYWHERE BUT T14 crowd) is what do you want to do? Want to be a county prosecutor or public defender in Ohio, then the discussion changes, want to work in Columbus? ditto.

So, what do you want to do? If you're unsure then go to Capital, Cleveland or Toledo. I'd head toward the schools in population centers myself.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:05 pm

homestyle28 wrote:FWIW, I visited Capital last year and was actually pretty surprised, all of the students I talked to had jobs and were happy. The general impression was that in cbus Capital does about as well as tOSU. Of course Capital's reach is just about as broad as I-270. So the real question (the one missed by the above NEVER GO ANYWHERE BUT T14 crowd) is what do you want to do? Want to be a county prosecutor or public defender in Ohio, then the discussion changes, want to work in Columbus? ditto.

So, what do you want to do? If you're unsure then go to Capital, Cleveland or Toledo. I'd head toward the schools in population centers myself.

This is wrong, you can't just be a county prosecutor from capital. This is what people are missing. These types of jobs are now fall backs for people from Ohio State who may not have needed to ten years ago. And the Ohio State grad is going to be hired almost everytime instead of the capital grad.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:01 am

Given the state of Ohio's economy, I would highly recommend reconsidering law school if OSU/Case/Cincy are out of reach. That being said, if the OP must attend law school, I would go to Akron, because at least the tuition is dirt cheap. Low debt will come in handy when you take that job as assistant manager at Office Max.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Case2L wrote:Given the state of Ohio's economy, I would highly recommend reconsidering law school if OSU/Case/Cincy are out of reach. That being said, if the OP must attend law school, I would go to Akron, because at least the tuition is dirt cheap. Low debt will come in handy when you take that job as assistant manager at Office Max.

TITCR.

Don't go to an Ohio school outside of OSU/CIncy/Case, and I'd even say avoid Case.

If you absolutely must waste money on lawl skool, go to C-M or Akron I suppose. Or go to a TTT in a state where they are the only game in town and you can get residency after a year.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:06 pm

OP, care to share numbers? This would help a lot. Cincy and OSU have ED options you might want to look in to.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:02 am

StrictlyLiable wrote:OP, care to share numbers? This would help a lot. Cincy and OSU have ED options you might want to look in to.

And there's no shame in it. Millions of men are speaking to their Doctors about their "ED options" every day.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:20 am

TTH wrote:
StrictlyLiable wrote:OP, care to share numbers? This would help a lot. Cincy and OSU have ED options you might want to look in to.

And there's no shame in it. Millions of men are speaking to their Doctors about their "ED options" every day.

Nice haha.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:34 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:FWIW, I visited Capital last year and was actually pretty surprised, all of the students I talked to had jobs and were happy. The general impression was that in cbus Capital does about as well as tOSU. Of course Capital's reach is just about as broad as I-270. So the real question (the one missed by the above NEVER GO ANYWHERE BUT T14 crowd) is what do you want to do? Want to be a county prosecutor or public defender in Ohio, then the discussion changes, want to work in Columbus? ditto.

This is wrong, you can't just be a county prosecutor from capital. This is what people are missing. These types of jobs are now fall backs for people from Ohio State who may not have needed to ten years ago. And the Ohio State grad is going to be hired almost everytime instead of the capital grad.

In the county I live in in SE Ohio none of the recent hires in the prosecutors or PD's office were from tOSU, but were from ONU, Dayton, and CSU. In talking to the folks around here tOSU grads still don't look for or apply for jobs in the more rural areas. Of course, I'm not saying a Capital grad is a shoe-in for a county prosecutor gig, but I AM saying given the right other circumstances, finaid, etc., it can be a viable choice. Personally, my own decision came down to a full ride at Capital or no $ at Northwestern, and it was mostly the fact that there was family in Chicago the made me choose NU.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:14 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

In the county I live in in SE Ohio none of the recent hires in the prosecutors or PD's office were from tOSU, but were from ONU, Dayton, and CSU. In talking to the folks around here tOSU grads still don't look for or apply for jobs in the more rural areas. Of course, I'm not saying a Capital grad is a shoe-in for a county prosecutor gig, but I AM saying given the right other circumstances, finaid, etc., it can be a viable choice. Personally, my own decision came down to a full ride at Capital or no $ at Northwestern, and it was mostly the fact that there was family in Chicago the made me choose NU.

I'll add, a good percentage of Ohio appellate court judges are CSU grads. Also, Columbus is the only city in Ohio that's growing. Of course, I'm hesitant to recommend CSU. For only a few more LSAT points, you could get into OSU, which is way better and cheaper.

bradley

Postby bradley » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:54 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

This is a flame, right? Nobody in their right mind would choose Capital over Northwestern, even if they wanted to work in Columbus.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:06 am

bradley wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

This is a flame, right? Nobody in their right mind would choose Capital over Northwestern, even if they wanted to work in Columbus.

Nope. Of course there were other factors involved (I'm married, wife has a job, we had a kid, etc.), but Capital meant maybe 30k in debt and NU means 250k+ in debt...however NU's LRAP is the great cost equalizer given my career goals. I really was impressed by Capital when I visited, and would definitely have chosen it over tOSU (which I also got into, but they offered me no$). And, so long as you want to stay around Cbus Capital does fine with placement.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:37 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Ok, I can buy that in Ross, Pickaway, Athens, etc. But who in their right minds want to work in these counties? In any areas immediately around Columbus tOSU is going to severly outplace capital. Cleveland, capital will have no chance. And Cincinnati capital will have no chance. Even Dayton is probably a no go. Now of course if you go to Muskingum it won't matter, but I didn't even know they needed lawyers their. I thought the just lived by the laws of the land.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm sure they need lawyers in Meigs County.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Out of the schools being considered by the OP, I would recommend Akron. Strong reputation and extensive alumni network in NE Ohio. Just make sure you understand the risks involved with this investment. (which are grossly overexaggerated by people on this website and grossly underexaggerated by law schools like Akron)

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Ok, I can buy that in Ross, Pickaway, Athens, etc. But who in their right minds want to work in these counties? In any areas immediately around Columbus tOSU is going to severly outplace capital. Cleveland, capital will have no chance. And Cincinnati capital will have no chance. Even Dayton is probably a no go. Now of course if you go to Muskingum it won't matter, but I didn't even know they needed lawyers their. I thought the just lived by the laws of the land.

I don't disagree re: Cleveland and Cnatti/Dayton. Capital's Alumni network is almost exclusively in/around cbus and from what I've been told they have a strong tendency to hire their own. Also, OH's current secretary of state is a Capital Alum. and Capital does well getting into state gov't gigs in cbus.

As for the rural counties...plenty of people want that kind of life...small town lawyer's are often VIP's in their community.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:12 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Also, OH's current secretary of state is a Capital Alum. and Capital does well getting into state gov't gigs in cbus.

You need to define your definition of "well" because either you're just full of shit or we have different opinions.

Also, past success, is not an indicator of future success. People out of "EarthsAssholeU" got jobs 20 years ago, things are different now, and the likelihood of another capital grad becoming the secretary of state of ohio is probably less than 1%. Ya, sure, some Capital grads can get decent jobs around columbus. But they are in the VAST majority, even for PD gigs.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:You need to define your definition of "well" because either you're just full of shit or we have different opinions.

Or both...My sense of things with state jobs in Cbus was that if you are a decent student @ Capital you had a decent shot at a decent job. Of course that's relative, Ohio's gov't is bound to be shrinking soon b/c it's out of $$ so that will make those jobs harder to come by. I'm not arguing that in a vacuum Capital is someone's best choice, just that it's not the worst either. My hunch is that in the Cbus market, the Ohio schools go tOSU>CNatti>Case>Capital>>then the other schools.

Patriot1208 wrote:Also, past success, is not an indicator of future success
Sure it is, that's why we all want to go to a T-14...it's not like history restarts every year. But this is just me being an argumentative asshole.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Last edited by The Gentleman on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:44 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:he likelihood of another capital grad becoming the secretary of state of ohio is probably less than 1%

Check your facts chief. In Ohio, the AG is elected and I can assure you that the last thing Ohio voters care about is what law school AG candidates attended. It is nothing more than a partisan referendum. The dumbest student at the shittiest law school may very well make the most successful politician.

Check my facts? There are facts about that? Don't be stupid. You are presupposing the argument you are making and telling me to check my facts. Also, the attorney general is not the same thing as the secretary of state, HTH.

Lastly, as someone from Ohio, believe me, they may not care if you went to Harvard but people are more savvy in most areas of the state then you think. Obviously, you do not understand how politics work because it's not just as if anyone can run, you have to make the inroads in the political spectrum before you can leave it up to the people. And it is EXTREMELY unlikely for someone of average intelligence and career achievements to do that in this day and age. For a capital grad, 99% of them can only hope for a mediocre career.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”