Ohio Law Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kartal

Bronze

Ohio Law Schools

Post by kartal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:35 pm

If you keep Ohio State, Case and Cincy out of discussion (as they are not fully in my reach), how would you rate the remaining Ohio law schools (i.e. Capital, Ohio Northern, Cleveland-Marshall, Dayton, Akron and Toledo)?

One thing I noticed that some of these schools have high attrition rates. What would be the reason for that? Applying tough curves or the students not working hard enough with the idea of that they are attending a T3 or T4 school while the law school is law school and therefore tough no matter what the ranking is?

Which of these law schools are more successful in landing government jobs? Does Capital have an advantage as literally being across the Ohio State Capitol and all other government buildings?

I would appreciate any input while I am getting ready for the application cycle. No flames please. I am looking for only a civilized discussion.

Thanks in advance.

bradley

New

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Post by bradley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:39 pm

I would not go to any of those schools. I am certain that less than 5% of these classes have legal jobs lined up. Even EIC, top 3% types are not getting jobs.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:45 pm

My buddy is in the top 10 students in his class at Capital and is jobless....

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:07 pm

I would vote for Marshall. The above poster who made the EIC top 3% comment is retarded. I have several friends at CSU with offers at top cleveland firms (which pay north of 100k). Just look at bios from Jones Day, Baker, Calfee, Squire, Vorys, etc they are full of CSU grads. Ya you gotta have good grades but that should be obvious.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:11 pm

JPU wrote:I would vote for Marshall. The above poster who made the EIC top 3% comment is retarded. I have several friends at CSU with offers at top cleveland firms (which pay north of 100k). Just look at bios from Jones Day, Baker, Calfee, Squire, Vorys, etc they are full of CSU grads. Ya you gotta have good grades but that should be obvious.
In the past yes.

In this current economy I dont know how deep (past number the 1, 2, or 3 student) a firm will go with small classes (10 or less) or no classes. And an influx of law talent from T14 & T20 schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:13 pm

JPU wrote:I would vote for Marshall. The above poster who made the EIC top 3% comment is retarded. I have several friends at CSU with offers at top cleveland firms (which pay north of 100k). Just look at bios from Jones Day, Baker, Calfee, Squire, Vorys, etc they are full of CSU grads. Ya you gotta have good grades but that should be obvious.
Past hiring =/= present hiring.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Did you not read my post? My friends are CURRENTLY at CSU and have offers, both 2L for SA's and 3Ls for full-time. Just anecdotally from them I know the firms have called back more than just the top 3 students. Marshall does well in Cleveland, that is indisputable.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:00 pm

JPU wrote:Did you not read my post? My friends are CURRENTLY at CSU and have offers, both 2L for SA's and 3Ls for full-time. Just anecdotally from them I know the firms have called back more than just the top 3 students. Marshall does well in Cleveland, that is indisputable.
define "well" please.

bradley

New

Post by bradley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:18 pm

This is the kind of stupidity that gets people into law schools nowadays. Jones Day hasn't even looked at students below Ohio State (and MAYBE Cincy) in two years. Calfee had a small summer class last year, but nobody got offers. Squire - ha!!: they haven't had a summer class in 2 years and haven't given offers to new grads in 3. Baker and Vorys aren't doing much better. And any jobs there are go to the very top of the class to students who click with their OCI interviewers. So you're looking at 3 years + huge amounts of money for a very small chance of getting an SA and basically no chance of getting an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:05 pm

Whoa! There are NINE law schools in Ohio? Are there really enough jobs in the area to justify NINE SCHOOLS??

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. :shock:

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:49 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Whoa! There are NINE law schools in Ohio? Are there really enough jobs in the area to justify NINE SCHOOLS??

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. :shock:
No they all go to Michigan, other t14's with kids wanting to come home, and Ohio State grads. In that order. Maybe a few to Case or Cincy. Nothing that warrants going to those schools.

kartal

Bronze

Post by kartal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:32 pm

Why is there so much focus around big law firms here? Not everybody is so crazy to work for the big law firms. What happens if I want to get into the legislation area and thus work for the Ohio State House or Senate? How would then these remaining six T3 and T4 schools fare?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:34 pm

kartal wrote:Why is there so much focus around big law firms here? Not everybody is so crazy to work for the big law firms. What happens if I want to get into the legislation area and thus work for the Ohio State House or Senate? How would then these remaining six T3 and T4 schools fare?
Because almost every law school, with a few state school exceptions, costs six figures worth of debt or come with strings attached to their scholarships. On top of that you are not going to go straight from law school to the legislature, that is absurd. You need to get a legal job first, which is a scarce thing compared to the number of graduates. Now that you are hunting for a legal job you are behind a bunch of other schools and thus your prospects blow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 am

kartal wrote:Why is there so much focus around big law firms here? Not everybody is so crazy to work for the big law firms. What happens if I want to get into the legislation area and thus work for the Ohio State House or Senate? How would then these remaining six T3 and T4 schools fare?
I actually don't want to work for a big law firm. But I realize that the DOJ or becoming an ADA and then jumping to the DOJ is still going to be very hard from a bad school.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:27 am

bradley wrote:
This is the kind of stupidity that gets people into law schools nowadays. Jones Day hasn't even looked at students below Ohio State (and MAYBE Cincy) in two years. Calfee had a small summer class last year, but nobody got offers. Squire - ha!!: they haven't had a summer class in 2 years and haven't given offers to new grads in 3. Baker and Vorys aren't doing much better. And any jobs there are go to the very top of the class to students who click with their OCI interviewers. So you're looking at 3 years + huge amounts of money for a very small chance of getting an SA and basically no chance of getting an offer.
+10000

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:26 pm

underachiever wrote:
bradley wrote:
+10000
LOL @ you guys plusing each other. You know JD has OSU and CSU people in their summer class last year and a 100% offer rate? Nobody said the jobs didn't go to the top of the class, that is how it has always worked, even in the best of times.
Last edited by Lawl Shcool on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:40 pm

JPU wrote:
underachiever wrote:
bradley wrote:
+10000
LOL @ you guys plusing each other. You know JD has OSU and CSU people in their summer class last year and a 100% offer rate? Nobody said the jobs didn't go to the top of the class, that is how it has always worked, even in the best of times.
Are you completely daft? Of course they have some people from those schools in their class, but there are so few of them that it doesn't make it worthwhile for 95% of the people to go there. Fact is CSU grads will have a hard time getting any work for probably half of the class. Even Ohio State may not be worth it for anyone out of state paying sticker. And that isn't the way it always worked, you just seem to be willfully ignorant. Even Ohio State is doing a lot worse then they used too. Fact is the vast, and i mean VAST, majority of law schools are not worth the three years of lost income, let alone the price tag to attend. And CSU is one of those.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
JPU wrote:
underachiever wrote:
bradley wrote:
+10000
Are you completely daft? Of course they have some people from those schools in their class, but there are so few of them that it doesn't make it worthwhile for 95% of the people to go there. Fact is CSU grads will have a hard time getting any work for probably half of the class. Even Ohio State may not be worth it for anyone out of state paying sticker. And that isn't the way it always worked, you just seem to be willfully ignorant. Even Ohio State is doing a lot worse then they used too. Fact is the vast, and i mean VAST, majority of law schools are not worth the three years of lost income, let alone the price tag to attend. And CSU is one of those.
See bolded above that you plussed. You can't change your argument from 0% to 5% and think your argument holds more water. The fact is that people do get jobs, quite good ones sometimes from these schools. I personally know people who have ITE. If law school is so horrible why do you still come here? Shouldn't you be out looking for work?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:10 pm

JPU wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
JPU wrote:
underachiever wrote:
+10000
See bolded above that you plussed. You can't change your argument from 0% to 5% and think your argument holds more water. The fact is that people do get jobs, quite good ones sometimes from these schools. I personally know people who have ITE. If law school is so horrible why do you still come here? Shouldn't you be out looking for work?
Hey retarded guy, take one second to notice that the guy who posted that is different from me. And no one is argueing that you can't get a job from these schools, what they are saying is that A lot, if not the majority, can't get jobs from these schools. You either cannot comprehend what you are reading or completely deflecting. And i'm here, because I may go to law school, but if I go it'll either be to a t14 or Ohio State for free.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Wow, I'm sure OP appreciates everyones opinion but maybe yins could have at least attempted to answer his/her question. After all, he didn't ask "should I go to law school" but 'where". OP, if I were you I'd go to Akron. CSU is going to have to compete with Case, Capital is going to have to compete with OSU. Akron grads are all Akron has. Now Akron may not be as large as Cleveland or Columbus, but if you just want to do litigation or be a prosecutor, I'm sure you could do alright with going to Akron and practicing in Akron or surrounding areas (Boardman, Youngstown Solon etc.). Also, I would still apply to Cincy, case and OSU bc one of them may bite, you never know. Yes, everyone on here is right, Biglaw is probably out of the question. And yes, your decision may not be the smartest financially (although Akron gives out the second most amount of scholarship, after Toledo). But at the same time, I know grads from Akron and Toledo that are practicing and doing fine. Sure, John Grisham isn't going to right about about one of their cases but whatever. Hope this helps.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:16 pm

pjo wrote:Wow, I'm sure OP appreciates everyones opinion but maybe yins could have at least attempted to answer his/her question. After all, he didn't ask "should I go to law school" but 'where". OP, if I were you I'd go to Akron. CSU is going to have to compete with Case, Capital is going to have to compete with OSU. Akron grads are all Akron has. Now Akron may not be as large as Cleveland or Columbus, but if you just want to do litigation or be a prosecutor, I'm sure you could do alright with going to Akron and practicing in Akron or surrounding areas (Boardman, Youngstown Solon etc.). Also, I would still apply to Cincy, case and OSU bc one of them may bite, you never know. Yes, everyone on here is right, Biglaw is probably out of the question. And yes, your decision may not be the smartest financially (although Akron gives out the second most amount of scholarship, after Toledo). But at the same time, I know grads from Akron and Toledo that are practicing and doing fine. Sure, John Grisham isn't going to right about about one of their cases but whatever. Hope this helps.

Akron grads have to compete with everyone in the state of Ohio and aome people outside of it too. Even for jobs in Akron.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote: Hey retarded guy, take one second to notice that the guy who posted that is different from me. And no one is argueing that you can't get a job from these schools, what they are saying is that A lot, if not the majority, can't get jobs from these schools. You either cannot comprehend what you are reading or completely deflecting. And i'm here, because I may go to law school, but if I go it'll either be to a t14 or Ohio State for free.
Patriot, just wondering, what are you leaning towards? I only ask because I know a girl who graduated from ND a year ago and had the same choice, ND or OSU full scholarship. She said if she had to do it over she probably would have picked OSU full scholarship. Thing is, outside Columbus, I don't see OSU doing that well at all. Seems like Case is a more prominent power in Eastern Ohio. Any thoughts?

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:19 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
pjo wrote:Wow, I'm sure OP appreciates everyones opinion but maybe yins could have at least attempted to answer his/her question. After all, he didn't ask "should I go to law school" but 'where". OP, if I were you I'd go to Akron. CSU is going to have to compete with Case, Capital is going to have to compete with OSU. Akron grads are all Akron has. Now Akron may not be as large as Cleveland or Columbus, but if you just want to do litigation or be a prosecutor, I'm sure you could do alright with going to Akron and practicing in Akron or surrounding areas (Boardman, Youngstown Solon etc.). Also, I would still apply to Cincy, case and OSU bc one of them may bite, you never know. Yes, everyone on here is right, Biglaw is probably out of the question. And yes, your decision may not be the smartest financially (although Akron gives out the second most amount of scholarship, after Toledo). But at the same time, I know grads from Akron and Toledo that are practicing and doing fine. Sure, John Grisham isn't going to right about about one of their cases but whatever. Hope this helps.

Akron grads have to compete with everyone in the state of Ohio and aome people outside of it too. Even for jobs in Akron.
O really?? Because theres so many T14 and out of state law grads itching for the chance to practice in the beautiful city of Akron. Cleveland has trouble attracting grads there, let alone Akron.
Last edited by pjo on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:19 pm

Ok, OP, if you are dead set on law school and realize the high possibility that you end up completely unemployed, then the correct answer is the school in whatever city you want to work in.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:20 pm

pjo wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

O really?? Because theres so many T14 and out of state law grads itching for the chance to practice in the beautiful city of Akron. Cleveland has trouble attracting grads there, let alone Akron.
no but there are a lot of ohio state and case western grads who are itching to work anywhere and would take akron. And they will usually beat akron.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”