Ohio Law Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
kartal
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Ohio Law Schools

Postby kartal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:35 pm

If you keep Ohio State, Case and Cincy out of discussion (as they are not fully in my reach), how would you rate the remaining Ohio law schools (i.e. Capital, Ohio Northern, Cleveland-Marshall, Dayton, Akron and Toledo)?

One thing I noticed that some of these schools have high attrition rates. What would be the reason for that? Applying tough curves or the students not working hard enough with the idea of that they are attending a T3 or T4 school while the law school is law school and therefore tough no matter what the ranking is?

Which of these law schools are more successful in landing government jobs? Does Capital have an advantage as literally being across the Ohio State Capitol and all other government buildings?

I would appreciate any input while I am getting ready for the application cycle. No flames please. I am looking for only a civilized discussion.

Thanks in advance.

bradley
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby bradley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:39 pm

I would not go to any of those schools. I am certain that less than 5% of these classes have legal jobs lined up. Even EIC, top 3% types are not getting jobs.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby underachiever » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:45 pm

My buddy is in the top 10 students in his class at Capital and is jobless....

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Lawl Shcool » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:07 pm

I would vote for Marshall. The above poster who made the EIC top 3% comment is retarded. I have several friends at CSU with offers at top cleveland firms (which pay north of 100k). Just look at bios from Jones Day, Baker, Calfee, Squire, Vorys, etc they are full of CSU grads. Ya you gotta have good grades but that should be obvious.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby underachiever » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:11 pm

JPU wrote:I would vote for Marshall. The above poster who made the EIC top 3% comment is retarded. I have several friends at CSU with offers at top cleveland firms (which pay north of 100k). Just look at bios from Jones Day, Baker, Calfee, Squire, Vorys, etc they are full of CSU grads. Ya you gotta have good grades but that should be obvious.


In the past yes.

In this current economy I dont know how deep (past number the 1, 2, or 3 student) a firm will go with small classes (10 or less) or no classes. And an influx of law talent from T14 & T20 schools.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Grizz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:13 pm

JPU wrote:I would vote for Marshall. The above poster who made the EIC top 3% comment is retarded. I have several friends at CSU with offers at top cleveland firms (which pay north of 100k). Just look at bios from Jones Day, Baker, Calfee, Squire, Vorys, etc they are full of CSU grads. Ya you gotta have good grades but that should be obvious.


Past hiring =/= present hiring.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Lawl Shcool » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Did you not read my post? My friends are CURRENTLY at CSU and have offers, both 2L for SA's and 3Ls for full-time. Just anecdotally from them I know the firms have called back more than just the top 3 students. Marshall does well in Cleveland, that is indisputable.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:00 pm

JPU wrote:Did you not read my post? My friends are CURRENTLY at CSU and have offers, both 2L for SA's and 3Ls for full-time. Just anecdotally from them I know the firms have called back more than just the top 3 students. Marshall does well in Cleveland, that is indisputable.


define "well" please.

bradley
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby bradley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:18 pm

JPU wrote:I would vote for Marshall. The above poster who made the EIC top 3% comment is retarded. I have several friends at CSU with offers at top cleveland firms (which pay north of 100k). Just look at bios from Jones Day, Baker, Calfee, Squire, Vorys, etc they are full of CSU grads. Ya you gotta have good grades but that should be obvious.


This is the kind of stupidity that gets people into law schools nowadays. Jones Day hasn't even looked at students below Ohio State (and MAYBE Cincy) in two years. Calfee had a small summer class last year, but nobody got offers. Squire - ha!!: they haven't had a summer class in 2 years and haven't given offers to new grads in 3. Baker and Vorys aren't doing much better. And any jobs there are go to the very top of the class to students who click with their OCI interviewers. So you're looking at 3 years + huge amounts of money for a very small chance of getting an SA and basically no chance of getting an offer.

BeautifulSW
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby BeautifulSW » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:05 pm

Whoa! There are NINE law schools in Ohio? Are there really enough jobs in the area to justify NINE SCHOOLS??

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. :shock:

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:49 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Whoa! There are NINE law schools in Ohio? Are there really enough jobs in the area to justify NINE SCHOOLS??

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. :shock:


No they all go to Michigan, other t14's with kids wanting to come home, and Ohio State grads. In that order. Maybe a few to Case or Cincy. Nothing that warrants going to those schools.

User avatar
kartal
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby kartal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:32 pm

Why is there so much focus around big law firms here? Not everybody is so crazy to work for the big law firms. What happens if I want to get into the legislation area and thus work for the Ohio State House or Senate? How would then these remaining six T3 and T4 schools fare?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:34 pm

kartal wrote:Why is there so much focus around big law firms here? Not everybody is so crazy to work for the big law firms. What happens if I want to get into the legislation area and thus work for the Ohio State House or Senate? How would then these remaining six T3 and T4 schools fare?


Because almost every law school, with a few state school exceptions, costs six figures worth of debt or come with strings attached to their scholarships. On top of that you are not going to go straight from law school to the legislature, that is absurd. You need to get a legal job first, which is a scarce thing compared to the number of graduates. Now that you are hunting for a legal job you are behind a bunch of other schools and thus your prospects blow.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 am

kartal wrote:Why is there so much focus around big law firms here? Not everybody is so crazy to work for the big law firms. What happens if I want to get into the legislation area and thus work for the Ohio State House or Senate? How would then these remaining six T3 and T4 schools fare?


I actually don't want to work for a big law firm. But I realize that the DOJ or becoming an ADA and then jumping to the DOJ is still going to be very hard from a bad school.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby underachiever » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:27 am

bradley wrote:
JPU wrote:I would vote for Marshall. The above poster who made the EIC top 3% comment is retarded. I have several friends at CSU with offers at top cleveland firms (which pay north of 100k). Just look at bios from Jones Day, Baker, Calfee, Squire, Vorys, etc they are full of CSU grads. Ya you gotta have good grades but that should be obvious.


This is the kind of stupidity that gets people into law schools nowadays. Jones Day hasn't even looked at students below Ohio State (and MAYBE Cincy) in two years. Calfee had a small summer class last year, but nobody got offers. Squire - ha!!: they haven't had a summer class in 2 years and haven't given offers to new grads in 3. Baker and Vorys aren't doing much better. And any jobs there are go to the very top of the class to students who click with their OCI interviewers. So you're looking at 3 years + huge amounts of money for a very small chance of getting an SA and basically no chance of getting an offer.


+10000

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:26 pm

underachiever wrote:
bradley wrote:
This is the kind of stupidity that gets people into law schools nowadays. Jones Day hasn't even looked at students below Ohio State (and MAYBE Cincy) in two years. Calfee had a small summer class last year, but nobody got offers. Squire - ha!!: they haven't had a summer class in 2 years and haven't given offers to new grads in 3. Baker and Vorys aren't doing much better. And any jobs there are go to the very top of the class to students who click with their OCI interviewers. So you're looking at 3 years + huge amounts of money for a very small chance of getting an SA and basically no chance of getting an offer.


+10000


LOL @ you guys plusing each other. You know JD has OSU and CSU people in their summer class last year and a 100% offer rate? Nobody said the jobs didn't go to the top of the class, that is how it has always worked, even in the best of times.
Last edited by Lawl Shcool on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:40 pm

JPU wrote:
underachiever wrote:
bradley wrote:
This is the kind of stupidity that gets people into law schools nowadays. Jones Day hasn't even looked at students below Ohio State (and MAYBE Cincy) in two years. Calfee had a small summer class last year, but nobody got offers. Squire - ha!!: they haven't had a summer class in 2 years and haven't given offers to new grads in 3. Baker and Vorys aren't doing much better. And any jobs there are go to the very top of the class to students who click with their OCI interviewers. So you're looking at 3 years + huge amounts of money for a very small chance of getting an SA and basically no chance of getting an offer.


+10000


LOL @ you guys plusing each other. You know JD has OSU and CSU people in their summer class last year and a 100% offer rate? Nobody said the jobs didn't go to the top of the class, that is how it has always worked, even in the best of times.


Are you completely daft? Of course they have some people from those schools in their class, but there are so few of them that it doesn't make it worthwhile for 95% of the people to go there. Fact is CSU grads will have a hard time getting any work for probably half of the class. Even Ohio State may not be worth it for anyone out of state paying sticker. And that isn't the way it always worked, you just seem to be willfully ignorant. Even Ohio State is doing a lot worse then they used too. Fact is the vast, and i mean VAST, majority of law schools are not worth the three years of lost income, let alone the price tag to attend. And CSU is one of those.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
JPU wrote:
underachiever wrote:
bradley wrote:
This is the kind of stupidity that gets people into law schools nowadays. Jones Day hasn't even looked at students below Ohio State (and MAYBE Cincy) in two years. Calfee had a small summer class last year, but nobody got offers. Squire - ha!!: they haven't had a summer class in 2 years and haven't given offers to new grads in 3. Baker and Vorys aren't doing much better. And any jobs there are go to the very top of the class to students who click with their OCI interviewers. So you're looking at 3 years + huge amounts of money for a very small chance of getting an SA and basically no chance of getting an offer.


+10000


LOL @ you guys plusing each other. You know JD has OSU and CSU people in their summer class last year and a 100% offer rate? Nobody said the jobs didn't go to the top of the class, that is how it has always worked, even in the best of times.


Are you completely daft? Of course they have some people from those schools in their class, but there are so few of them that it doesn't make it worthwhile for 95% of the people to go there. Fact is CSU grads will have a hard time getting any work for probably half of the class. Even Ohio State may not be worth it for anyone out of state paying sticker. And that isn't the way it always worked, you just seem to be willfully ignorant. Even Ohio State is doing a lot worse then they used too. Fact is the vast, and i mean VAST, majority of law schools are not worth the three years of lost income, let alone the price tag to attend. And CSU is one of those.


See bolded above that you plussed. You can't change your argument from 0% to 5% and think your argument holds more water. The fact is that people do get jobs, quite good ones sometimes from these schools. I personally know people who have ITE. If law school is so horrible why do you still come here? Shouldn't you be out looking for work?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:10 pm

JPU wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
JPU wrote:
underachiever wrote:
+10000


LOL @ you guys plusing each other. You know JD has OSU and CSU people in their summer class last year and a 100% offer rate? Nobody said the jobs didn't go to the top of the class, that is how it has always worked, even in the best of times.


Are you completely daft? Of course they have some people from those schools in their class, but there are so few of them that it doesn't make it worthwhile for 95% of the people to go there. Fact is CSU grads will have a hard time getting any work for probably half of the class. Even Ohio State may not be worth it for anyone out of state paying sticker. And that isn't the way it always worked, you just seem to be willfully ignorant. Even Ohio State is doing a lot worse then they used too. Fact is the vast, and i mean VAST, majority of law schools are not worth the three years of lost income, let alone the price tag to attend. And CSU is one of those.


See bolded above that you plussed. You can't change your argument from 0% to 5% and think your argument holds more water. The fact is that people do get jobs, quite good ones sometimes from these schools. I personally know people who have ITE. If law school is so horrible why do you still come here? Shouldn't you be out looking for work?


Hey retarded guy, take one second to notice that the guy who posted that is different from me. And no one is argueing that you can't get a job from these schools, what they are saying is that A lot, if not the majority, can't get jobs from these schools. You either cannot comprehend what you are reading or completely deflecting. And i'm here, because I may go to law school, but if I go it'll either be to a t14 or Ohio State for free.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby pjo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Wow, I'm sure OP appreciates everyones opinion but maybe yins could have at least attempted to answer his/her question. After all, he didn't ask "should I go to law school" but 'where". OP, if I were you I'd go to Akron. CSU is going to have to compete with Case, Capital is going to have to compete with OSU. Akron grads are all Akron has. Now Akron may not be as large as Cleveland or Columbus, but if you just want to do litigation or be a prosecutor, I'm sure you could do alright with going to Akron and practicing in Akron or surrounding areas (Boardman, Youngstown Solon etc.). Also, I would still apply to Cincy, case and OSU bc one of them may bite, you never know. Yes, everyone on here is right, Biglaw is probably out of the question. And yes, your decision may not be the smartest financially (although Akron gives out the second most amount of scholarship, after Toledo). But at the same time, I know grads from Akron and Toledo that are practicing and doing fine. Sure, John Grisham isn't going to right about about one of their cases but whatever. Hope this helps.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:16 pm

pjo wrote:Wow, I'm sure OP appreciates everyones opinion but maybe yins could have at least attempted to answer his/her question. After all, he didn't ask "should I go to law school" but 'where". OP, if I were you I'd go to Akron. CSU is going to have to compete with Case, Capital is going to have to compete with OSU. Akron grads are all Akron has. Now Akron may not be as large as Cleveland or Columbus, but if you just want to do litigation or be a prosecutor, I'm sure you could do alright with going to Akron and practicing in Akron or surrounding areas (Boardman, Youngstown Solon etc.). Also, I would still apply to Cincy, case and OSU bc one of them may bite, you never know. Yes, everyone on here is right, Biglaw is probably out of the question. And yes, your decision may not be the smartest financially (although Akron gives out the second most amount of scholarship, after Toledo). But at the same time, I know grads from Akron and Toledo that are practicing and doing fine. Sure, John Grisham isn't going to right about about one of their cases but whatever. Hope this helps.



Akron grads have to compete with everyone in the state of Ohio and aome people outside of it too. Even for jobs in Akron.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby pjo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Hey retarded guy, take one second to notice that the guy who posted that is different from me. And no one is argueing that you can't get a job from these schools, what they are saying is that A lot, if not the majority, can't get jobs from these schools. You either cannot comprehend what you are reading or completely deflecting. And i'm here, because I may go to law school, but if I go it'll either be to a t14 or Ohio State for free.


Patriot, just wondering, what are you leaning towards? I only ask because I know a girl who graduated from ND a year ago and had the same choice, ND or OSU full scholarship. She said if she had to do it over she probably would have picked OSU full scholarship. Thing is, outside Columbus, I don't see OSU doing that well at all. Seems like Case is a more prominent power in Eastern Ohio. Any thoughts?

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby pjo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:19 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
pjo wrote:Wow, I'm sure OP appreciates everyones opinion but maybe yins could have at least attempted to answer his/her question. After all, he didn't ask "should I go to law school" but 'where". OP, if I were you I'd go to Akron. CSU is going to have to compete with Case, Capital is going to have to compete with OSU. Akron grads are all Akron has. Now Akron may not be as large as Cleveland or Columbus, but if you just want to do litigation or be a prosecutor, I'm sure you could do alright with going to Akron and practicing in Akron or surrounding areas (Boardman, Youngstown Solon etc.). Also, I would still apply to Cincy, case and OSU bc one of them may bite, you never know. Yes, everyone on here is right, Biglaw is probably out of the question. And yes, your decision may not be the smartest financially (although Akron gives out the second most amount of scholarship, after Toledo). But at the same time, I know grads from Akron and Toledo that are practicing and doing fine. Sure, John Grisham isn't going to right about about one of their cases but whatever. Hope this helps.



Akron grads have to compete with everyone in the state of Ohio and aome people outside of it too. Even for jobs in Akron.


O really?? Because theres so many T14 and out of state law grads itching for the chance to practice in the beautiful city of Akron. Cleveland has trouble attracting grads there, let alone Akron.
Last edited by pjo on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:19 pm

Ok, OP, if you are dead set on law school and realize the high possibility that you end up completely unemployed, then the correct answer is the school in whatever city you want to work in.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Ohio Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:20 pm

pjo wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
pjo wrote:Wow, I'm sure OP appreciates everyones opinion but maybe yins could have at least attempted to answer his/her question. After all, he didn't ask "should I go to law school" but 'where". OP, if I were you I'd go to Akron. CSU is going to have to compete with Case, Capital is going to have to compete with OSU. Akron grads are all Akron has. Now Akron may not be as large as Cleveland or Columbus, but if you just want to do litigation or be a prosecutor, I'm sure you could do alright with going to Akron and practicing in Akron or surrounding areas (Boardman, Youngstown Solon etc.). Also, I would still apply to Cincy, case and OSU bc one of them may bite, you never know. Yes, everyone on here is right, Biglaw is probably out of the question. And yes, your decision may not be the smartest financially (although Akron gives out the second most amount of scholarship, after Toledo). But at the same time, I know grads from Akron and Toledo that are practicing and doing fine. Sure, John Grisham isn't going to right about about one of their cases but whatever. Hope this helps.



Akron grads have to compete with everyone in the state of Ohio and aome people outside of it too. Even for jobs in Akron.


O really?? Because theres so many T14 and out of state law grads itching for the chance to practice in the beautiful city of Akron. Cleveland has trouble attracting grads there, let alone Akron.


no but there are a lot of ohio state and case western grads who are itching to work anywhere and would take akron. And they will usually beat akron.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], laowhynot109, Screech Owl and 5 guests