Texas Tech or UNM? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bankofmouse

New

Texas Tech or UNM?

Post by bankofmouse » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:53 pm

In state tuition at Texas Tech or non resident at UNM?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Texas Tech or UNM?

Post by kalvano » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Where do you wish to be employed?

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:23 pm

I went to UNM myself 25 years ago. If you intend to stay in New Mexico for your career, it would be a good choice. But move here a year in advance so as to qualify for resident status. This for two reasons: 1) It's quite a lot cheaper; and 2) UNM has a substantial preference for admitting NM residents (or at least, they did.)

Texas Tech has supplied a good many New Mexico lawyers over the years. The ones I've worked with seem to have been well trained and have nice things to say about the school. However, UNM is a T2 while Tech is in the third tier. I don't think that matters in New Mexico itself so much as does the fact that UNM is our only law school and virtually everyone either went there or has a partner, employer, or spouse who went there. The majority of our Judges and public sector lawyers are UNM grads. I don't know whether a UNM degree would carry as much weight in Texas as a Tech degree. I do know that the only really prestigeous law school in Texas is U.T. Austin and if you can get in there, do it.

I know both Lubbock and Albuquerque. There in no doubt regarding quality of life; Albuquerque is much bigger, has mountains and other assorted scenery, has better food and a better climate, has a better student "scene", is more...well! cosmopolitan I guess, than Lubbock. But Lubbock is unbelieveably cheap to live in, which Albuquerque no longer is. You could save a good deal of money over three years.

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:57 pm

2 things.
1) Where do you want to practice? UNM>TT for New Mexico. TT>UNM for Texas. I will note that TT places well in parts of NM.
2) Can you get into UNM? As mentioned, UNM gives alot of preference to residents. Individuals with GPA and LSAT over medians have been rejected,

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:11 am

Retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lucidity

New

Post by Lucidity » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:02 am

Need more information. If you can afford the time, retaking is the best choice. Otherwise, it boils down to where you want to work/what kind of college atmosphere you desire.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:33 am

I would have a hard time advising anyone to go to either of these law schools if you want to do private practice. I've looked into firms in ABQ (the larger market b/t that and Lubbock), and there are only about 5 major firms there, each with roughly 30-40 lawyers. That's it for New Mexico "biglaw." The total population of firm lawyers in ABQ might well be less than 500. Assume all those firms are expanding at a rate of 5%/year (ITE that's not the safest assumption - in a better economy it might be), and you're looking at a demand for about 25 new firm lawyers a year. Even with a preference for hiring from the local school (which there definitely is among employers in NM), that's a maximum of less than 30 firm jobs available each year.

You don't want those odds. If you're paying OOS tuition, you REALLY don't want those odds. I'd go with Texas Tech. Your odds of finding a job aren't any better, but they aren't much worse and your J.D. will cost a hell of a lot less.

Plus UNM's football team is garbage wrapped in garbagey garbage.

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:32 am

SBL wrote:I would have a hard time advising anyone to go to either of these law schools if you want to do private practice. I've looked into firms in ABQ (the larger market b/t that and Lubbock), and there are only about 5 major firms there, each with roughly 30-40 lawyers. That's it for New Mexico "biglaw." The total population of firm lawyers in ABQ might well be less than 500. Assume all those firms are expanding at a rate of 5%/year (ITE that's not the safest assumption - in a better economy it might be), and you're looking at a demand for about 25 new firm lawyers a year. Even with a preference for hiring from the local school (which there definitely is among employers in NM), that's a maximum of less than 30 firm jobs available each year.

You don't want those odds. If you're paying OOS tuition, you REALLY don't want those odds. I'd go with Texas Tech. Your odds of finding a job aren't any better, but they aren't much worse and your J.D. will cost a hell of a lot less.

Plus UNM's football team is garbage wrapped in garbagey garbage.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Go to Tech!

Also, Tech's football team isn't garbage wrapped in garbagey garbage.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:18 pm

The above evaluation of New Mexico "BigLaw" is exactly right. There really isn't such a thing here. It's not that we don't have some Fortune 500 companies in the state, we do, such as Intel, but those folks look to Wall Street for their legal/financal services.

A UNM degree is just too expensive to earn intending to practice outside of the state. I personally think that it's also just too expensive to earn intending to practice INSIDE the state if you aren't paying in-state tuition.

Having said all of that, New Mexico is really a pretty nice place to live and work as a lawyer and there are still a few jobs out here. Deciding to come here, establish residency, and go to UNM intending to stay here is not irrational, all things considered. But as I've said before, I am a Westerner born and bred and the East Coast types who post here might not be able to adapt to our very different culture and lifestyle. That should be kept in mind before making any life-changing decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:56 pm

NewLobo wrote:2 things.
1) Where do you want to practice? UNM>TT for New Mexico. TT>UNM for Texas. I will note that TT places well in parts of NM.
2) Can you get into UNM? As mentioned, UNM gives alot of preference to residents. Individuals with GPA and LSAT over medians have been rejected,
The abbreviation is TTU, not TT. Carry on.

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Bosque wrote:
NewLobo wrote:2 things.
The abbreviation is TTU, not TT. Carry on.
Either/or. Does not really matter.

jimmyxc16

New

Post by jimmyxc16 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Not to dig up a dead topic but just confirming advice yall have given.

Currently attending UNM, originally from Dallas and wish to return there for work! In junior year of college and I have gained resident status in NM so the school is very cheap for me at the moment.

I am joining the Air Force after graduation and plan on doing law school afterwards. If I wish to work in Dallas, should I go back to UNM and take my chances? Attend TTU or apply and try and afford SMU? Im on my own for college tuition so if I choose to attend SMU (if I even get in) I would need a big paying job to make it worthwhile.

thanks for any advice!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:01 pm

TT09 wrote:Tech's football team isn't garbage wrapped in garbagey garbage.
lol
Care to retract? I bet they lose to Baylor this weekend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:17 pm

jimmyxc16 wrote:Not to dig up a dead topic but just confirming advice yall have given.

Currently attending UNM, originally from Dallas and wish to return there for work! In junior year of college and I have gained resident status in NM so the school is very cheap for me at the moment.

I am joining the Air Force after graduation and plan on doing law school afterwards. If I wish to work in Dallas, should I go back to UNM and take my chances? Attend TTU or apply and try and afford SMU? Im on my own for college tuition so if I choose to attend SMU (if I even get in) I would need a big paying job to make it worthwhile.

thanks for any advice!
Just to let you know, if you serve four years in the military, Texas schools are pretty much paid for under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, if you are a Texas resident prior to joining the military, under the Hazelwood Act, the state will pay for your education. So, if you are planning on graduation from UNM, make sure you spend some time in Texas and gain your residency prior to joining the Air Force.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:28 pm

jimmyxc16 wrote:Not to dig up a dead topic but just confirming advice yall have given.

thanks for any advice!

If you want Dallas specifically, the only correct answers are UT or SMU.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:49 pm

JazzOne wrote:
lol
Hows Texas doing, boyo? At least we have a pretty good excuse for our record. :P

NewLobo

New

Post by NewLobo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:59 pm

Bosque wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
lol
Hows Texas doing, boyo? At least we have a pretty good excuse for our record. :P
It's horrible when, at work, I have to ask how much we are down in the spread every week. :(
Ahh well, at least basketball is going to start again soon. :D

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:19 pm

Bosque wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
lol
I won't defend UT football. I think they schedule a bunch of out-of-conference pushovers, so UT deserves to lose.

Texas Tech was a flash in the pan. Hope you enjoyed it while it, uh, lasted?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”