MS/JDs for IP law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
godofcoffee

New

MS/JDs for IP law?

Post by godofcoffee » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm considering getting an MS (in computer science) and a JD in order to practice in IP law, specifically something computery. I've heard that you need an advanced degree to do this, so I was wondering... how advanced? If I got an MS, would that cut it? Or would a PhD be par for the course?

androstan

Gold

Re: MS/JDs for IP law?

Post by androstan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:53 pm

godofcoffee wrote:I'm considering getting an MS (in computer science) and a JD in order to practice in IP law, specifically something computery. I've heard that you need an advanced degree to do this, so I was wondering... how advanced? If I got an MS, would that cut it? Or would a PhD be par for the course?
I think computer science is a bit different, at least from what I've read/heard. I have no direct experience.

From what I know, if you're in molecular biology and biotech you need a Ph.D, period. However, if you're in engineering or chemistry you only need a B.S., although an M.Sc. can help too.

Computer science, I'm not sure. It's kind of on the cusp like chemistry because it's not engineering but it's not biotech, but it's not something useless/unmarketable either. I know there are many patent attorneys in the chemical arts with only a BS in chemistry. If I had to guess I'd say that a BS in compsci is "par for the course" but, like I said, an MSc can and does help.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:00 pm

I have been told that a BS in Computer Science is sufficient. I guess a MS wouldn't hurt since MS in CS is really just a more in depth study of the BS subjects. I don't think you need a PhD in CS, you get too much into theory. I would imagine most computer related IP law do not involve computational theory. You really just need to understand the subject matter. I'm only a 0L, so my knowledge stays within CS...

Do keep in mind that my BS in CS requires about 50 credits in the subject matter and a MS is usually around 30. So if you are not a CS undergrad you may need to take more prerequisites before they let you take the core courses.

godofcoffee

New

Post by godofcoffee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:10 am

Interesting... I'm a CS undergrad, but BSs aren't offered at my school. I know this is a pretty specific case and I'll probably have to ask somebody in the field for advice, but do you guys think that would cut it? Combined JD/MS degrees will only cost me an extra year, which seems eminently worthwhile if it's required for IP.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Personally I chose not to do a MS in CS, I am pursuing a different masters that holds my interests and will give me other skills. I believe a diverse skill set will help me in the long run. I actually got a full ride + stipend to do the MSCS but I chose my my MPA instead. I know to sit for the patent bar exam you need to have a BS CS from an ABET accredited program, so BS is mostlikely sufficient unless you are not a CS (accredited) UG, then you need a MS plus a certain amount of hours in physics (check with the patent bar requirements).

From what I saw, our MS CS contains the same exact classes. I took a couple of them at the masters level as an UG and you don't really need to sit through it unless you didn't get it as a UG. Stuff like algorithms and data structure, computational theory, languages, you have to take all over again. I think a PhD would be awesome to do, but it isn't going to help your legal career. It may not even help you in a IT career, probably only helps if you teach or do research for Google lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”