Syracuse Law Hopeful. Advice Needed and Appreciated.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
maryuva

Syracuse Law Hopeful. Advice Needed and Appreciated.

Postby maryuva » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:15 am

I'm in the middle of the law school application process, and I'd really appreciate some SU law student's advice (or anyone's for that matter) on my chances of getting into Syracuse Law. 2.8 GPA/ taking LSAT in October, but I've been prepping for it. 2.8 GPA comes after my Mom unexpectedly passed away from a heart attack the day before second semester of my freshman year; it was, and sometimes still is tough, but my grades have been on a steady climb. My major GPA is a 3.5, and my resume reads well with extensive campaign/political experience as well a International Relations Internship in Israel, among leadership positions in organizations on my campus. I've got strong recommendations from 2 of my English professors and the Dean of Students at my college; they know my qualifications well, and am certain they won't be deigning my letters with illusive, abstract praises. Syracuse is my top choice, and am hoping that my other qualifications will gloss over my poor GPA. And I've been reading about the LEO program for admitting students who would succeed in law school, but may have had adverse conditions, etc. However, I'm not so sure I fall under any of those categories simply because of a poor GPA. Thanks for the help.

Re: Syracuse Law Hopeful. Advice Needed and Appreciated.

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:37 am

There's not a ton of data, but they admitted plenty of people below 3.0 last year. Anything over 160 and I think you are easily in, especially with a legitimate reason for your grades dropping and a positive trend. Don't expect any financial aid but with a decent LSAT I say you get in.

maryuva

Postby maryuva » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:47 am

Thanks for your input. The LSAC date gives the Fall 2009 entering class's stats. Half of the students who applied with a 2.7-2.9 and a 155-159 were accepted. Hopefully I can break 160 and up my chances. As expensive as SU is, and doing my research on their smaller scholarship funds, I'm not expecting any scholarship offers. An acceptance letter will do just fine.

Postby 2014 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 am

Just keep up the LSAT prep for another 3-4 weeks until the test and a 160 should be attainable depending on where you are starting out. I don't know how long you have been around these forums, but there is a lot of really great advice on LSAT stuff if you look for it.

Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”