International prestige/curriculum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stuffystuff

International prestige/curriculum

Postby stuffystuff » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:09 pm

I have a tentative short list of schools. But I'm a little way out on applying, so I have time to be open minded.

I would like to go in the direction of corporate counsel, specifically in energy, manufacturing, and technology (which tend to tie into each other). This is all part of a greater plan outside of law for my career.

What are some schools with good reputations internationally that could eventually land me over seas. (europe, and the middle east specifically)

I'm curious to see what you all have found in similar searches.

thesybarite

Re: International prestige/curriculum

Postby thesybarite » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:21 am

Hey. As someone overseas, I would have to say that very few law schools are known outside of the US. Harvard and Yale are exceptions, but getting past that it's 50/50 for the next few down the ranks, and then most people have no idea.

The best option is probably to find one with links to overseas spots that you're interested in. A lot of them offer semesters abroad.

Do you speak another language? Georgetown has a global legal scholars program that might suit, and I know that Northwestern has an International Team project that works in heaps of different countries.

Good luck :D

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 am

It depends on what you want to work for.

If you want to work for an American firm, but overseas, then you need the top few (re: 3) schools.

If you want to work at an overseas firm, look at where their associates graduated from. It's amazing how "presigious" some US schools are within the US but have little to no clout outside the US.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:59 am

If you want to work for an American firm, but overseas, then you need the top few (re: 3) schools.

Not necessarily true. There were US firms hiring for foreign offices at GULC OCI when I did it, and hiring standards seemed to be about the same as domestic offices (although they usually wanted the candidates to have some connection to the foreign country). Magic Circle firms were hiring too. That said, ITE, those spots will be few in number for just about anybody.

As far as international prestige, only the very top will have any clout at all. Think about it this way: what are the most prestigious schools in Japan? All I can name is the U of Tokyo- I wouldn't know the 2nd most prestigious from a local community college there.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:07 am

nealric wrote:

Not necessarily true. There were US firms hiring for foreign offices at GULC OCI when I did it, and hiring standards seemed to be about the same as domestic offices (although they usually wanted the candidates to have some connection to the foreign country). Magic Circle firms were hiring too. That said, ITE, those spots will be few in number for just about anybody.

As far as international prestige, only the very top will have any clout at all. Think about it this way: what are the most prestigious schools in Japan? All I can name is the U of Tokyo- I wouldn't know the 2nd most prestigious from a local community college there.

Good call on Todai though. So prestigious that government agencies were ordered to keep their proportion of Todai law grads below 50% because waaaay too many were getting hired.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:23 am

nealric wrote:Not necessarily true. There were US firms hiring for foreign offices at GULC OCI

That is not too surprising. I would have been truly surprised if there had been a lot of overseas employers that showed up that did not have US offices.

stuffystuff

Postby stuffystuff » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:25 pm

thesybarite wrote:Hey. As someone overseas, I would have to say that very few law schools are known outside of the US. Harvard and Yale are exceptions, but getting past that it's 50/50 for the next few down the ranks, and then most people have no idea.

The best option is probably to find one with links to overseas spots that you're interested in. A lot of them offer semesters abroad.

Do you speak another language? Georgetown has a global legal scholars program that might suit, and I know that Northwestern has an International Team project that works in heaps of different countries.

Good luck :D

I was getting that feeling.

Although, I have seen very high offers to lawyers with no foreign experience being plucked from canada and the US with substantial pay packages (many over 200K/yr).

And I see what someone else said above. I suppose other than the most prestigious schools, you have to stay within your own nationality.

I have seen a more international reach from some of the better known British schools, even some of the more mediocre ones have a substantial reach from what I can tell. I guess that traces back to imperialism.

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:52 am

Where did these lawyers study? I want in!!

stuffystuff

Postby stuffystuff » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:32 am

No particular type/class of school at all. Just well versed in their own areas.

It was more of a career credential thing than a "what school did you attend" None of the people I'm aware of were plucked fresh from school, but rather 3-7 years post qualification.

I suppose I phrased this thread wrong (although the way I put it was of interest as well) I was most interested in what schools of American-style Curriculum have their tentacles the most/best spread out in the regions I mentioned. This would aid in getting your foot in the door and adding to the personal credentials list.

Cornell has a medical school in Doha, Qatar. I'm not so sure that means a thing for law students? A small building or a floor of a building out there would be nice for students wanting to explore any prospects in the region.

workerdrone

Postby workerdrone » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 pm

my experience with my current company (Fortune 500) is that one of our corporate attorneys will be stationed overseas for one of our largest projects or will have consistent travel to visit and tour for their business division. Most of the current team minus the CLO (a T14 grad) came from the local schools (T1 or T2).

If you want to be permanently overseas, go to Yale or Harvard. Still, either of those are not a guarantee for landing an assignment internationally.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”