Surfer Thread

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FlanAl

Surfer Thread

Postby FlanAl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:39 am

Thought I'd start one up for this cycle.

So yeah if you surf and are in law school/ are a lawyer/ are applying this cycle it would be fantastic to give advice or share on how it factored into choosing where you went to school.

Also would be good to talk about which schools would allow for balancing school work with surfing (somewhere you don't have to drive 3 hrs to get to the beach/ schools with surfclubs etc.)

seespotrun

Re: Surfer Thread

Postby seespotrun » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:45 am

FlanAl wrote:Thought I'd start one up for this cycle.

So yeah if you surf and are in law school/ are a lawyer/ are applying this cycle it would be fantastic to give advice or share on how it factored into choosing where you went to school.

Also would be good to talk about which schools would allow for balancing school work with surfing (somewhere you don't have to drive 3 hrs to get to the beach/ schools with surfclubs etc.)

lol wut?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:53 am

haha this happened last year for the first few posts and then a bunch of surfers showed up haha. I think its definitely something that at least kinda factors in making a decision on schools. I mean imagine if your favorite kind of exercise was running, applying to schools where you couldn't run (I realize this is highly unlikely) you'd probably at least weigh that in your decision. Also I know that USD and LMU law schools have their own specific surf clubs so there are definitely surfers in law school.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:50 pm

If you're looking at NYU/CLS or any other NYC law school and want to surf in NYC, you'd be wise to live in brooklyn on the A line. Rockaway isn't word class surf, but its' a fun spot and, as the truism states, waves are where you find them. It just helps if where you find them is a 10 minute drive or 30 minute subway ride opposed to a 35 minute drive or 90 minute subway ride (what I did from Morningside heights).

I'll also give you this advice: worry less about the quality of surf and more about the proximity. It can be hard to schedule a go out in law school, and, personally, I'd rather surf knee high rollers on a long board twice a week than head high+ and hollow once every two months. The former allows you still get that de-stresser that can give some perspective and balance to your life on a regular basis.

For now though, family and work have put me in a kind of no-man's land. I work in NYC and my wife commutes to central Connecticut (Uconn) for her PhD so we live in Stamford. Yea, that's about 2:30 to Rhode Island surf and an 1:45 (and a TON of tolls) to Long Island surf. I got some great waves last weekend during Earl, but I'm not predicting a whole lot of surf in my near future.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:01 pm

hey thanks a bunch chris. I'm not too familiar with public transport in NYC so was wondering how awkward/legal it is to bring a board on a train. Is it usually fine with a normal shortboard? Do people get super bummed when you come on with like big 10'0 log? Thanks again for your help!

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:09 pm

I never brought my longboard on public transit. I've heard it can be done, but I thought it seemed to crazy. I had a 6'6 swallow tail that was pretty thick though, and that rode well enough in small and large (well as large as the east coast is going to get). It was also an Epoxy, which, though I like to support small time local shapers, made it AWESOME on the subway. I was never worried about bumping it a little or if the glass would crack, etc. Basically, it was my go-to subway board. I brought the longboard with me, but that sat in the corner until we got a car my 3L year, and my other shortboard I left at home for when I came back during holidays.

Where are you looking in terms of schools? I've surfed in the PNW and EVERY state on the east, but I don't know much about CA.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Peep this, broski:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/nyreg ... 4rock.html

The Rockaways are notorious for riptides, annual deaths, and unfriendly New York Surfers. So if you are used to a nice safe, friendly surf- this is not it.

Also Montauk is two and half hours away (with no traffic in the winter). So if you have a car and are not opposed to cold water then this spot is nothing short of awesome, especially in the winter. Seriously.

And riding the subway with a surfboard, not a problem, as long as its not during morning commute time/ afternoon commute time. In which case, you are just kind of an asshole.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Rockaway being a nasty place is WAY overstated. Montauk (specifically turtle cove) is definitely significantly better, but I've never made it without traffic. Every time I've gone it's been at least a 6 hr round trip in the winter, and it can approach 5 hours one way if you hit the wrong time in the spring/summer/fall. It's a fun "trip," but it can't be a regular spot.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:44 pm

chris0805 wrote:Rockaway being a nasty place is WAY overstated. Montauk (specifically turtle cove) is definitely significantly better, but I've never made it without traffic. Every time I've gone it's been at least a 6 hr round trip in the winter, and it can approach 5 hours one way if you hit the wrong time in the spring/summer/fall. It's a fun "trip," but it can't be a regular spot.

Check out MTK Trailer Park

Yea, you need to leave NYC early. Like 430 am. But overall its probably only 100-120 miles away, so it can done. Plus there are other places scattered throughout LI that can make for good day trips. All surf spots are purported to be way rougher than they really are- local-ism, pollution, whatever. But I do think the water in Rockaway is actually filthy, which is a deterrent enough for me.

I think OP should go to California. If I didn't have responsibilities/ family in New York I would be there. Too bad UCSD doesn't have a law school. It's in La Jolla.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:57 pm

deadhipsters wrote:
chris0805 wrote:Rockaway being a nasty place is WAY overstated. Montauk (specifically turtle cove) is definitely significantly better, but I've never made it without traffic. Every time I've gone it's been at least a 6 hr round trip in the winter, and it can approach 5 hours one way if you hit the wrong time in the spring/summer/fall. It's a fun "trip," but it can't be a regular spot.

Check out MTK Trailer Park

Yea, you need to leave NYC early. Like 430 am. But overall its probably only 100-120 miles away, so it can done. Plus there are other places scattered throughout LI that can make for good day trips. All surf spots are purported to be way rougher than they really are- local-ism, pollution, whatever. But I do think the water in Rockaway is actually filthy, which is a deterrent enough for me.

I think OP should go to California. If I didn't have responsibilities/ family in New York I would be there. Too bad UCSD doesn't have a law school. It's in La Jolla.

That part is definitely true. :lol:

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:11 am

hows about do not surf la jolla! for localism. Just kidding but at the same time if you've been here you know its not super nice, safe or friendly (which really sucks, watching people get beat up can be super awkward. Not trying to come off like I'm a hard core local, I basically went from grom to to away at college but yeah have dealt with some fairly heavy locals). If I had numbers then I'd probably have much more to say on where I'm choosing to go to school (went to undergrad in the UK so i don't have a GPA and yeah although I'm from california I got used to bitter ass north sea water so NY doesn't worry me too much in that respect). So In my head I'm like t14 would be great if I can get the lsat let me think about where I can surf at those schools and the other part is like USD Law!!! I'd also think about LA schools but there are two things that really hold me back 1) Most of my good friends from High School live in Venice/Santa Monica and either work for streetwear companies or DJ (basically all they do is party and surf) I'm not sure I'd get any studying done 2) LA is a bummer and getting to the beach would probably take super long from SC or UCLA

on another note why the heck don't UCSB or UCSC have law schools yet! haha

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:03 am

seespotrun wrote:

lol wut?

I am not a surfer, but I will admit that ability-to-cross-country-ski-nearby might be playing a small part in my law school preferences, so I get it.

I'm pretty sure FlanAl and I will have exactly 0 schools in common on our lists.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Entchen wrote:
seespotrun wrote:

lol wut?

I am not a surfer, but I will admit that ability-to-cross-country-ski-nearby might be playing a small part in my law school preferences, so I get it.

I'm pretty sure FlanAl and I will have exactly 0 schools in common on our lists.

CU- Boulder or Utah, what's it going to be?

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:18 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I am honestly sad not to be SoCal during law school, but felt like I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Although I don't think NorCal totally sucks, there are many reasons I am interviewing primarily in San Diego, Orange County, and LA...., with outdoors related stuff being one of them. However, in regards to winter sports, being only 3.5 hours from Tahoe is also pretty sweet (instead of 6 hours from Mammoth in LA....).

Sigh. I wished I lived in California.

jfb

Postby jfb » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:23 pm

I definitly see where you're coming from OP. A reasonably large part of my decision will be based on a schools proximity to mountains suitable for hiking, snowboarding, etc. - especially since I may be living in the area longer than just the three years that I spend in school.

sfgiantsfan

Postby sfgiantsfan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:36 pm

PEPPERDINE!

one word. malibu.

my cousin is a big time surfer. he goes to USD and surfs everyday. he loves it. its a good school too.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:11 am

does your cousin go to usd law? do they still have that surf club?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”