Canadian law schools for Americans Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
niederbomb

Silver

Canadian law schools for Americans

Post by niederbomb » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:33 am

Last edited by niederbomb on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Re: Canadian law schools for Americans

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 am

niederbomb wrote:Long story (here), but I'm an American citizen leaning towards the University of Toronto JD/MBA program. I have the scores to get in (>75th LSAT, >75th GPA), so that's not so much a concern.

What would be my job prospects out of here compared to a T-14 U.S. university, if I did decide to take the New York bar and practice in the USA?

Or alternatively, with the MBA, how would I stack up against, for example, Northwestern, Berkeley, or Columbia grads?

This is silly.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:17 am

Try to get your discharge status changed. You mentioned it was possible after a year in your other thread. And I would apply to US schools if I were you, and make your weakness (the discharge) a strength for you by owning it. But thats just my opinion.

And if you go to school in Canada, be prepared to spend your career there. You might come back, but you might not. So if you make that choice, make it knowing the potential consequences.

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:32 pm

UofT hasn't placed well in the US since the Great Recession began. If you want to practice in Canada, though, UofT is a great choice, and Canada has a very welcoming legal market (score one for a system of public universities). The pay isn't as good, but there are more jobs per law student.

Edit to add: I certainly don't think UofT would compare to any t14 for biglaw placement in the US, though its faculty compares well and even surpasses some of the t14 schools. I think you'd be looking at something akin to middle of the pack Tier 1 placement--not good at all, but not completely impossible. This is mostly an educated guess, in part because I don't know how tough the recession has hit US recruitment from UofT. You might try here: http://www.lawstudents.ca/forums/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”