Is UC Davis worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kaftka juice

Is UC Davis worth it?

Postby kaftka juice » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:14 pm

Last edited by kaftka juice on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Re: Is UC Davis worth it?

Postby MrAnon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:10 am

Yes, you can get a job out of Davis paying around 50K. Count on it being closer to 40-50K range. If CA's economy tanks anymore than it already has then all bets are off for what you might get or will not get. (BIGLAW is very difficult to get from schools of that rank but you admit you are not concerned with it).

That said, Davis is a long hard slog for a chance at a 50K year job.

Assume in a new scenario that you could get a job paying 35K right now in any industry, perhaps in a non-profit. You stand as good as a chance of getting such a job now as you do in getting an attorney job out of Davis in several years. Out of Davis you won't be barred and working for pay for another 5 years. By then, your hypothetical 35K job would be paying in the low 40s, and you'll have some professional experience underneath your belt and be in line for managerial work if you are any good at all. You will not have any debt. In law, you'll be brand new at the bottom of the totem pole, 5 years older than you are now, with a mountain of debt.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:16 am

I don't think so. I am not as pessimistic as the poster above (that is, I think you'd have a better than average shot of making 60k+, not 35k or whatever they are saying).

That said, I think a 60k salary can be had out of much cheaper schools. I'd choose Loyola, Pepperdine, or USD at a much lower cost. You can probably get a 2/3 to full tuition scholarship at those schools. Only the top 4 schools in CA are work 100k+ debt, in my opinion.

FWIW I attend Hastings, but only because I am able to self finance thanks to some inheritance. I am looking at around 70k debt. I don't think any non-T20 school (Hastings and Davis included) are worth more than 100k in debt.

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:25 am

Last edited by kaftka juice on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:24 am

At full price + COL: I don't think so. However, I think most everyone here gets some type of aid.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”