UPenn vs NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sgtgrumbles

Silver

Re: UPenn vs NYU

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:30 pm

2ofspades wrote:
frost wrote:I'd pick NYU for the location and their public interest reputation.
x1000000

If I knew I was interested in any kind of public interest or government work, Penn would be the first T10 crossed off my list.
Can you elaborate? I want to do public interest and was getting excited about Penn because of the inter-disciplinary focus. I recall seeing that their LRAP is pretty weak (which would be a big factor), but are there other reasons? FWIW, I haven't looked at specific clinics and programs to know how suited Penn is to PI law.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:58 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
2ofspades wrote:
frost wrote:I'd pick NYU for the location and their public interest reputation.
x1000000

If I knew I was interested in any kind of public interest or government work, Penn would be the first T10 crossed off my list.
Can you elaborate? I want to do public interest and was getting excited about Penn because of the inter-disciplinary focus. I recall seeing that their LRAP is pretty weak (which would be a big factor), but are there other reasons? FWIW, I haven't looked at specific clinics and programs to know how suited Penn is to PI law.
Penn law LRAP is weak compared to NYU for those going straight to PI. However, Penn allows you to work for a firm for a few years and then get full yearly LRAP benefit afterwards. NYU majorly curtails the benifits after just 1 year of firm work.

buster

New

Post by buster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:22 pm

As a 2L who applied ED into a T5 and got in, I'd advise against applying ED anywhere unless you're 100% set on going there. I did it because I had to get into a school in a specific location, and I wanted the peace of mind. If I could do it over again, I would apply regular decision just so I could get some money. From the looks of it, you're not dead set on a single law school, in which case you should give yourself the opportunity to get some money from these schools and possibly keep yourself open for Columbia, Harvard, wherever. I don't see the good in foreclosing opportunities if you have the stats more than likely to get in.

But if it's UPenn v. NYU, all things equal, I would choose NYU. Going to school in the city that you want to work in has benefits that I did not consider before going to law school. There are big firms that will only do OCI at area schools (and might by chance leave out UPenn); they are more likely to bring you back for a callback if they don't have to reimburse your traveling fees; if you want to network during the school year, the city is at your fingertips; if you want to work or extern during the school year in NY, it's much easier if you're in the city; if you want to work in NY during the summers you don't have to worry about subletting; etc. Generally, it seems there are more resources in NY than Philadelphia. Plus NYU has a great public interest program.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:44 am

lol ^

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”