CARDOZO full vs part time

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
evilgenius

Re: CARDOZO full vs part time

Postby evilgenius » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:50 am

Current Cardozo student here and I'd also advise you to take some time off in order to "remove yourself" from your GPA and then apply. As far as I know none of the part time, May, or January students received $$.

anyuta

Postby anyuta » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:19 am

Druids and happiness and mustard gas.

baronh

Postby baronh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:00 am

"Plenty of young people live in NYC and hold entry level jobs that pay as much and have better exit options than 98% of the classes of Cardozo . . . ."

That statement is wildly inaccurate, unless you're talking about young people working in I-Banking or at hedge funds. I went to Cardozo and knew a lot of people who weren't on Law Review who got large law firm offers.

Also, the part-time program isn't as easy as the OP thinks -- the part-timers I knew did not feel like they could relax and enjoy NYC. Employers have higher expectations for the part-timers on the theory that the part-timers had more time to study for exams.

Finally, large firm employers don't value previous paralegal experience that much. It might be different for smaller employers though, and being a paralegal would help the OP determine if a legal career is right for her.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:23 am

dali wrote:also im 1/16 native american and have a tribal certificate

wait... did everyone miss that? that would make her URM. She will get into Fordham or better. She prob has a shot at Vandy GULC and lower T14s.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:12 am

"Plenty of young people live in NYC and hold entry level jobs that pay as much and have better exit options than 98% of the classes of Cardozo . . . ."

That statement is wildly inaccurate, unless you're talking about young people working in I-Banking or at hedge funds. I went to Cardozo and knew a lot of people who weren't on Law Review who got large law firm offers.

It is not wildly inaccurate. The number of people in your class who did not get large law firm offers was at least double the number that did, and probably triple or 4x or 5x as many.

There are many industries in NYC that within the industry offer a range of opportunities and earnings similar to law. They include marketing, media/publishing, entertainment, public relations, technology, sales, consulting and real estate. The smartest individuals can enter these industries and hit 6 figures in 3-5 years. Or they can go to Cardozo. Again, if they are smartest individuals in the group then they'll do well and hit six figures in 3-5 years. The problem is that they accrue 6 figure debt, which disadvantages them as compared to person in another industry who is doing as comparatively well. The dummies in sales and the dummies in Cardozo will never get far in their professions, but again, the law dummy accrues debt while the sales dummy does not. Again, the non-law person has the upper hand in life by the time the Cardozo person is graduating and trying to take flight finally.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”