CCN for working California?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
re-applicant
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

CCN for working California?

Postby re-applicant » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:17 pm

any notable differences at any one of CCN?

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: CCN for working California?

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Both of CC are better than NYU for all non NYC markets.

User avatar
thrillhouse
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: CCN for working California?

Postby thrillhouse » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:44 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Both of CC are better than NYU for all non NYC markets.


I would think so, too. But, are you going on something other than gut here?

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: CCN for working California?

Postby ravens20 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:48 am

Cali is NYU's second strongest market after New York. It has a very strong presence there and dedicated organizations/alumni networks to help law students land jobs there.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: CCN for working California?

Postby Rand M. » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:50 am

ravens20 wrote:Cali is NYU's second strongest market after New York. It has a very strong presence there and dedicated organizations/alumni networks to help law students land jobs there.


This, and what has already been said, are not mutually exclusive.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: CCN for working California?

Postby RVP11 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:51 am

re-applicant wrote:any notable differences at any one of CCN?


Not really. But CC > N is a common sentiment here and might be based in some reality.

solidsnake
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 am

Re: CCN for working California?

Postby solidsnake » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:55 am

.
Last edited by solidsnake on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: CCN for working California?

Postby spondee » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:05 pm

This is one of those ranking questions that people over-think.

California is a difficult market. Targeting it from these schools, your grades will matter even more than usual because only the most prestigious California firms will travel to OCI. And if you don't have top grades, you'll have to do more targeted mailings. Your individual performance will matter far, far more than which of CCN you pick. So, go to whichever school you like best.

Personally, if I were confident that I wanted to work in California, I'd strongly consider a scholarship at Berkeley over CCN.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: CCN for working California?

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:20 pm

spondee wrote:This is one of those ranking questions that people over-think.

California is a difficult market. Targeting it from these schools, your grades will matter even more than usual because only the most prestigious California firms will travel to OCI. And if you don't have top grades, you'll have to do more targeted mailings. Your individual performance will matter far, far more than which of CCN you pick. So, go to whichever school you like best.

Personally, if I were confident that I wanted to work in California, I'd strongly consider a scholarship at Berkeley over CCN.



Totally agree, but Boalt's eccentric admissions are such that a decent bit of people get into Columbia but rejected at Boalt. If you want to work in California, are straight from undergrad, and have say a 3.5 and a 175 you are very likely to end up in this situation. That has to be pretty frustrating if you are in that situation and have no ties to California. You could get locked out of a job in Cali because you don't get into Stanford and Boalt's not an option. You could go to UCLA or USC on scholarship, but that seems risky.

User avatar
re-applicant
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: CCN for working California?

Postby re-applicant » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:56 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
spondee wrote:This is one of those ranking questions that people over-think.

California is a difficult market. Targeting it from these schools, your grades will matter even more than usual because only the most prestigious California firms will travel to OCI. And if you don't have top grades, you'll have to do more targeted mailings. Your individual performance will matter far, far more than which of CCN you pick. So, go to whichever school you like best.

Personally, if I were confident that I wanted to work in California, I'd strongly consider a scholarship at Berkeley over CCN.



Totally agree, but Boalt's eccentric admissions are such that a decent bit of people get into Columbia but rejected at Boalt. If you want to work in California, are straight from undergrad, and have say a 3.5 and a 175 you are very likely to end up in this situation. That has to be pretty frustrating if you are in that situation and have no ties to California. You could get locked out of a job in Cali because you don't get into Stanford and Boalt's not an option. You could go to UCLA or USC on scholarship, but that seems risky.


Exactly. There's a good chunk of people--myself included--with numbers that give them no chance of getting into Berkeley, despite having a decent shot at CCN.

shmoo597
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Re: CCN for working California?

Postby shmoo597 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:43 am

Though the CC>N conventional wisdom is probably correct, the difference is not great. It is definitely doable to make it to cali from CCN - all the big cali firms and offices come to OCI.

FWIW, I go to NYU, and got multiple callbacks in california this OCI.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: erinkh and 2 guests