When to make decision to attend which law school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kpuc

Bronze

When to make decision to attend which law school?

Post by kpuc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:58 pm

I just graduated from undergrad, and I will take the LSAT in about a month. Sometimes, when I have free time, I like to think about which law school I'd like to go to, and weigh pros/cons (kind of like how I did to decide my undergrad).

What's the typical consideration process like? Do most people apply to most of the T-14s indiscriminately, then decide afterwards following acceptance/rejection? Should you have a clear favourite or two? Or should you be open-minded until you visit the schools after getting accepted?

manbearwig

Bronze

Re: When to make decision to attend which law school?

Post by manbearwig » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:01 pm

kpuc wrote:I just graduated from undergrad, and I will take the LSAT in about a month. Sometimes, when I have free time, I like to think about which law school I'd like to go to, and weigh pros/cons (kind of like how I did to decide my undergrad).

What's the typical consideration process like? Do most people apply to most of the T-14s indiscriminately, then decide afterwards following acceptance/rejection? Should you have a clear favourite or two? Or should you be open-minded until you visit the schools after getting accepted?
First, take the LSAT before you make up your mind about which T14 you'd choose.

Because it's application season now, I'll assume that you have been practicing the LSAT and have your range of scores from practice tests (remember that most people go down a few points on the real deal) so you do have an idea of where in the rankings to apply. T14 is a bit different, but my main advice is to 1) apply to schools that you wouldn't mind graduating from and 2) apply to schools in the region you want to live (of course, T14s have a pretty large region, so there's a difference). There are also people who talk about applying to a range of schools simply for scholarship negotiations once you're accepted.

Personally, after I applied and was accepted at places, my top choice completely changed because I realized that I wanted to work in a specific area, and my "safety" school would actually give me the best shot at jobs there.

shmantieantie

New

Re: When to make decision to attend which law school?

Post by shmantieantie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:06 am

You should first take the LSAT. Once you've found out your score, then it should be time to contemplate which schools you'd like to apply to.

When I applied, I had a list of 5-6 schools that I wanted to attend. Some where "safety" schools, and some were completely out of my league.

But, I also have to say that it is totally okay to be thinking about which schools you'd like to attend prior to even taking the LSAT because doing so should give you some motivation to do exceptionally well. Just don't get too hung up on it.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”