GULC/GWU PT - Career Propspects?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tristan

GULC/GWU PT - Career Propspects?

Postby Tristan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:26 am

I am working full-time and thinking whether to apply to Georgetown or George Washington Law Schools Part-Time.

I want to know what the career prospects are for both programs.

What kind of a job do most students get after graduating from these schools? Any links to career stats would also be helpful like which percentage of graduates of the part-time programs do clerkships/big law/gov't, etc and what is their general starting salary for 2009/2010 (if available)?

Or as the case in some of the more common part-time programs do they just hang the diploma up on the wall and remain in their previous line of work? Seems like a waste.

If there are good prospects after all as I'm hoping, do the full-time students still have an advantage in terms of getting a better job, especially when in the 2nd and 3rd yr, they don't have to work 40 hr weeks and have a chance to do internships?

Any of your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

ViIIager

Re: GULC/GWU PT - Career Propspects?

Postby ViIIager » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:36 am

I'd expand out your question beyond just GULC and GW. Most of your questions would apply to any part-time program.

Also, their stats are available on their websites.

Full-time students always have the advantage of being able to do internships, which are going to be your best option for nailing down a good gig. Dem's the breaks. It should also be noted that just because you're a part-time or "evening" student, you don't necessarily have to work 40 hours a week (or at all). Many don't.

Tristan

Postby Tristan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks for your answer!

I' couldn't find any stats for those 2 PT programs. GWU only offers this:
http://www.law.gwu.edu/Careers/prospect ... stics.aspx

It doesn't have seperate stats for part-time students. Do you think they are similar?

And I can't find anything for GULC. Their web-site doesn't look like it works.
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/career/index.html

It would really help to get some feedback from current PT law students or gradutes. What were your experiences? Is the workload so high that working 40 hour weeks is impossible?

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:53 am

I am a GULC graduate who started in the PT program. I'm happy to answer any specific questions.

Generally, career prospects are the same as full-time students, with perhaps an advantage to the PT'ers for non biglaw jobs due to more ability to make deep connections in the legal world during law school.

1Levening2013

Postby 1Levening2013 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Tristan wrote:I am working full-time and thinking whether to apply to Georgetown or George Washington Law Schools Part-Time.

I want to know what the career prospects are for both programs.

What kind of a job do most students get after graduating from these schools? Any links to career stats would also be helpful like which percentage of graduates of the part-time programs do clerkships/big law/gov't, etc and what is their general starting salary for 2009/2010 (if available)?

Or as the case in some of the more common part-time programs do they just hang the diploma up on the wall and remain in their previous line of work? Seems like a waste.

If there are good prospects after all as I'm hoping, do the full-time students still have an advantage in terms of getting a better job, especially when in the 2nd and 3rd yr, they don't have to work 40 hr weeks and have a chance to do internships?

Any of your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

i'd beg to differ that this (the bolded) is the case. i know very few people, if any, who have the singular intention to stay in their current job.

along the lines of your question (beyond actual stats, which i do not think schools make the distinction of part time v. full time), i think the biggest obstacles for full time workers/part time students is exactly what you said, the internship experience: if you are dead set on joining a firm, your quickest route in is to summer there the summer before your final year in school. you, therefore, are basically left with no choice, and will have to leave your job to work at a firm for the summer (unless you are so lucky that your current employer will allow you to do this--which i have heard of in the rarest of cases). so unless your work experience lends itself into a non-firm, legal job (or you don't actually have the desire to transition directly into a 'legal' job'), i think its fair to say that you'll definitely be faced with this decision in your 3LE year (as traditional 3L OCI is rather non-existent at most schools)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”