MS in Legal Studies at University of San Diego

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MaliMT

MS in Legal Studies at University of San Diego

Postby MaliMT » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:11 pm

Does anyone have any information regarding this program or know of similar programs at other schools? What are the job prospects coming out of school with an MS in Legal Studies?

TTH

Re: MS in Legal Studies at University of San Diego

Postby TTH » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:23 am

MaliMT wrote:Does anyone have any information regarding this program or know of similar programs at other schools? What are the job prospects coming out of school with an MS in Legal Studies?

You might be able to snag a paralegal job if you got a paralegal certificate at the same time. Now that I think about it, just get the paralegal certificate.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:26 am

Not sure. Probably your best source for job placement info. is the Univ. of San Diego's legal studies dept.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Years ago, Stanford announced the creation of a similar slightly-less-than-JD program that they called, IIRC, the Juris Master. I think it required 44 semester hours at Stanford Law. The program died because no one could figure out whom, exactly, it was for. Well, I think that the MS in Legal Studies will probably fail for the same reason. It's a very expensive degree that doesn't actually do anything for the graduate except saddle him with a staggering amount of debt.

If you want to study law but not become a lawyer and you don't care about taking the bar exam, sign up with one of the California Bar registered correspondence schools and save yourself about eighty grand. You'll learn as much law as you will ever have any need to know and if you stick it out for four years, you can even take the California bar exam.

lawschool2014

Postby lawschool2014 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:00 pm

sounds like its a money maker for the University with no benefit to the student. USD has a horrible reputation in the legal community and terrible job prospects for JD graduates. I am sure an MS in legal studies may be able to get a paralegal job at an immigration firm- thats about it. Don't fall for those marketing traps.

If Stanford failed, then USD, which has no lay prestige, will fail as well

Return to “Choosing a Law School”