SMU (w/ scholly) a good fall back for UT rejects?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
williemayshayes

SMU (w/ scholly) a good fall back for UT rejects?

Postby williemayshayes » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:12 pm

I'll be applying for Fall 2012.

I'm shaping up to be your prototypical splitter, GPA 3.1-3.2, 170+ LSAT (I'm testing around a 170-171 right now, would kill for a 175+). UT Austin is my dream law school, and from the looks of it, they weren't very good to out of staters of my ilk at all. LSN doesn't have any Texas residents with my numbers in 09-10, but in previous cycles they got in (however UT's GPA-whoring seemed a lot less pronounced in those cycles too, FWIW).

Anyway, I'm going to be moving there after I graduate to secure TX residency before applying. Should I get rejected even with in-state residency, is Southern Methodist a good fall back option? I'm assuming I'll get some very good money there with a 170+. I could even take a shot at a transfer into UT, but thats another discussion.

Basically my question is, is SMU with a good scholarship a worthy consolation prize for a UT ding from the standpoint of the quality of education, career prospects, opportunities for clerkships, etc.?

P.s. I am well aware of the multitude of other highly ranked alternatives out there such as UVA/Duke ED, GULC, Georgia ($$), etc...but I'm just putting some feelers out there re: SMU as an option.

sophia.olive

Re: SMU (w/ scholly) a good fall back for UT rejects?

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:28 pm

What about Houston?

I think SMU for 'free' is a good option.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:39 pm

SMU and Houston are both great options for their respective cities. Don't expect either school to carry you very far from their home base though.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:52 pm

UT is obviously the correct choice, if possible, for Texas.

However, you'll get pretty good money from SMU, and it's certainly not a "bad" choice for Texas. You'll have lots of options, though mainly in the D/FW area.

williemayshayes

Postby williemayshayes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:58 am

How about the possibility from transferring from a SMU or a UH into UT? It goes without saying that I'll need top 5-10% of my class...but hey, gotta chase the dream.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:09 am

How about just worrying about the lsat

williemayshayes

Postby williemayshayes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:13 am

Goes without saying...just finished another PT. Which means its time for e-hypothesizing.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:25 am

williemayshayes wrote:How about the possibility from transferring from a SMU or a UH into UT? It goes without saying that I'll need top 5-10% of my class...but hey, gotta chase the dream.

Don't make that part of your plan. Go to SMU/UH depending on which market you want and do as well as you can and control your debt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”