Environmental Big Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Modest Moose

Environmental Big Law?

Postby Modest Moose » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:04 pm

I haven't been able to find much good information on environmental law. (i.e. job placement, opportunities in public interest vs biglaw, an analysis of top schools..)

How much weight if any should be put on the US News enviro rankings? Does anyone know what they base their specialty rankings on?

I'm a big fan of UVA, but their environmental law course selection seems pretty limited

kalvano

Re: Environmental Big Law?

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Specialty rankings are pretty useless. Just because Lewis & Clark is ranked #1 for environmental law doesn't mean you should pass up UVA, even if you want environmental law.

All law schools have pretty much the same curriculum, and most professors are pretty smart. So if you go to the top 100 or so, odds are you are getting about the same quality of education. What the higher-ranked schools offer is opportunities.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Don't worry about the specialty rankings. If you can't get into a solid T1 school AND you're interested in enviro, then yeah, L&C or Vermont might be a good choice. But if you can get into a solid T1, then there's no need to bother with these rankings.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:06 pm

This might be of interest to you: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=81575&p=3274266

It's an alternative ranking system created by a prospective law student to help decide where to go for someone wanting environmental law. (We actually cited to it in our paper as an example of a derivative tool, where prospectives who have open access to data can then create individualized ways to explain the information in a way that's meaningful.)

Some schools do provide more environmental-specific opportunities than others, so it's important to dig down into the program offerings at each. In particular, check out the environmental law faculty at the schools you're considering and email them with any questions you might have. I know Vanderbilt's program director is always interested in talking to potential students about their interests. G'luck.

paralegal

Postby paralegal » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:31 pm

observationalist wrote:Some schools do provide more environmental-specific opportunities than others, so it's important to dig down into the program offerings at each. In particular, check out the environmental law faculty at the schools you're considering and email them with any questions you might have.

Duke Law

Ryke Longest....Director of the Environmental Law and Policy Clinic

Also at Duke:

Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:02 pm

paralegal wrote:Duke Law

Also at Duke:

True...but also at Duke:

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

###

http://www.law.nyu.edu/academics/areasoffocus/environmental/index.htm

http://web.law.umich.edu/CurriculumInterestAreas/CurriculumInterestArea.aspx?cia=NRE

paralegal

Postby paralegal » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:31 pm

2ofspades wrote:
paralegal wrote:Duke Law

Also at Duke:

True...but also at Duke:

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

###

Your opinion, which you’re entitled to.

Note: I am speaking from experience, as I worked for the past two years for one of the most prestigious V20 BigLaw firms, a notable leader in environmental litigation and mass tort, with offices throughout the US and international offices as well. Duke Law and their environmental programs are highly regarded at this firm. There are many partners and associates from Duke at this firm.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”