Cardozo for family law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
katie96

Cardozo for family law

Postby katie96 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Cardozo is the main school I'm looking at right now because I definitley want to move to New York City and I seriously doubt my numbers will get me into NYU or Columbia. Fordam might be possible, and in that case I would go there instead. But after going through many of these TLS threads, it seems that Cardozo has a pretty shitty reputation for job prospects after graduation. Barely anyone seems to think that Cardozo graduates have much of a chance at BigLaw. But what about family law firms? I am set on practicing as a divorce attorney and wonder what my chances would be at landing a job at a family law firm after graduation. Do family law firms even hire new JDs? If so, would a degree from Cardozo be just as helpful getting a job like that as it would for getting a BigLaw job? Basically, is a law degree for Cardozo good for anything?

bk1

Re: Cardozo for family law

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:18 pm

I imagine landing work in a smaller firm is going to be mostly reliant on your ability to network.

katie96

Postby katie96 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:35 pm

bk1 wrote:I imagine landing work in a smaller firm is going to be mostly reliant on your ability to network.

Thanks-- I'd imagined that I would have to do some intense networking. Does anyone else have thoughts/knowledge with regard to the rest of my post?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Network like your life depends on it and keep debt LOW. Even so, I wouldn't do this.

john titor

Postby john titor » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:58 pm

as a family lawyer, here is my advice - go to the cheapest accredited law school possible. doesnt matter how shitty it's ranked. keep your debt low or nonexistent. a good way to do this is to go to a PT program. try to get a job during law school doing research or something for a firm that focuses on family law and try to weasel your way into an associate position.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”