University of Richmond Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
treyrawles

University of Richmond Law School

Postby treyrawles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:18 pm

I gradutated in May from the University of Georgia with a Bachelor of Arts in Advertising with a Minor in Sociology. My question to the board is what type of LSAT score woud I need to get in order to get into Washington & Lee, Georgia, Alabama or University of Richmond. The University of Richmond would be my top choice (as I am from there and would want to practice law in Richmond); however, the employment stats and rankings as of late discourage me. Since U of R is only 86th on the Top 100 list, is it worth inheriting all of that debt to go to school there. Would I be competitive to get a job as a lawyer in Richmond if I graduated in the top 25% of the class. Is that school looked upon as being a better school in the Richmond area than it is nationally (as in, is it regionally dominant)? Would my being from Richmond help me in the admissions process?
Do law schools look at the classes that I took in college? I took alot of "easy A" classes as electives and wasn't sure if the law schools would look at my transcript and view me as having been lazy. Any stats on U of Richmond's post graduation employment rates would be infinitely helpful. Where do I need to get my recommendations from? I am currently employed at an advertising agency and am trying to figure out if I should get recs from teachers or employers. Also, do I need to take the Kaplain class or can I prepare on my own for the LSAT. It is on Oct. 11th and I am starting my studies this weekend.

Heat

Re: University of Richmond Law School

Postby Heat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:44 pm

GPA?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:55 pm

treyrawles wrote:I gradutated in May from the University of Georgia with a Bachelor of Arts in Advertising with a Minor in Sociology. My question to the board is what type of LSAT score woud I need to get in order to get into Washington & Lee, Georgia, Alabama or University of Richmond. The University of Richmond would be my top choice (as I am from there and would want to practice law in Richmond); however, the employment stats and rankings as of late discourage me. Since U of R is only 86th on the Top 100 list, is it worth inheriting all of that debt to go to school there. Would I be competitive to get a job as a lawyer in Richmond if I graduated in the top 25% of the class. Is that school looked upon as being a better school in the Richmond area than it is nationally (as in, is it regionally dominant)? Would my being from Richmond help me in the admissions process?
Do law schools look at the classes that I took in college? I took alot of "easy A" classes as electives and wasn't sure if the law schools would look at my transcript and view me as having been lazy. Any stats on U of Richmond's post graduation employment rates would be infinitely helpful. Where do I need to get my recommendations from? I am currently employed at an advertising agency and am trying to figure out if I should get recs from teachers or employers. Also, do I need to take the Kaplain class or can I prepare on my own for the LSAT. It is on Oct. 11th and I am starting my studies this weekend.

Lot of questions. Good questions for somebody just thinking about law school. Click on Law Schools at the top of the page. Find the schools you're looking for and look at their 25/75th percentile splits. Click and find out more information on them. If you can get both your uGPA & LSAT above the medians in both, you should feel you have a fairly solid chance at making it into the schools.

The wisdom here is everything outside of the top 25 (most people would say top 14 schools in this economy) is a regional school, and if you attend one of those, you have a better chance of attending school there.

Richmond probably places fairly well in Richmond, but probably less well outside of the greater Richmond area.

You should get at least one LOR from a professor. You can supplement this one with one from an employer if you have meaningful work experience.

Some people improve their tests better with courses, but the general wisdom here is: save the money and buy powerscore bible books and study on your own time. Dedicate 3 - 6 months to it. Look at U of Richmond's website for employment stats. Look at them with a critical eye. A lot of schools present their data in shifty ways. Expect the compensation model to be highly bi-modal - with some grads making $150k, and some grads making $50k, and not a ton in between.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:00 pm

1. What's your GPA?
2. I would assume the other Virginia law schools have better/stronger placement, even in Richmond. I would aim for them (UVa if you have a shot there).
3. Don't assume where you are going to graduate in your class.
4. It will place only in its region, but I doubt it is "dominant" (i.e. I would assume a Richmond firm would hire someone from UVa or Duke over an equal person from Richmond).
5. They don't care which classes you took in college, just your GPA.
6. Prep for the LSAT whatever way works best for you. If a class is best then look around at Kaplan, Powerscore, Blueprint, etc. If self-prep is best then most people here recommend the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles.
7. LOR's: From a professor who knows you is best, but from your employer works as well (you usually need a minimum of 2).

Last tip, if you aren't ready for the LSAT by October, you may want to hold off and take a later LSAT and apply next cycle.

madgie

Postby madgie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:25 am

Although the University of Richmond isn't as highly ranked as some other schools in Virginia, its alums still represent the second highest number (UVA being the first) of "Super Lawyers" practicing in Virginia.

Another thing to consider is that schools in which you would be nearer to the middle/bottom of their GPA/LSAT ranges will be less likely to give you financial aid than those in which you are nearer to the top. University of Richmond notoriously gives a lot of money to its students.

I'm biased of course because I attend UofR. I was accepted into a number of other, more highly ranked schools, but UofR gave me lots of $$ because of my numbers (like I mentioned above). It's also small and the faculty and staff are very personable and genuinely want you to succeed. All of the 3Ls I've talked to have had really exciting internships both of their summers. Another nice thing is that UofR has a pretty high rate of graduates serving in judicial clerkships; third place among ABA-accredited law schools in VA behind UVA and W&L).

I don't know any graduates, however, so I can't really speak to their employment stats post-grad. I would imagine that there has to be a pretty positive correlation between the number/quality of summer internships and post-grad employment.

I would just encourage you to visit schools. It will make a big difference to be able to speak directly with current students and professors that you might have in the next 3 years!

KennyG

Postby KennyG » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:06 am

I just started at UR (and just moved from Athens) and I like it a lot so far. I also passed up several higher ranked options to come here. I think I've got the employment statistics for the class of 09 at home, and I'll look for them tonight. Other than that, it has been difficult to get a clear picture of the employment situation. It doesn't feel as hopeless as other schools I visited. On the other hand there don't appear to have been a ton of firms doing OCI.

In terms of inheriting the debt... It would be hard to justify paying sticker at UR if you got into UGA in-state. (though almost all of the UGA grads I've talked to in the last few years have a very difficult time finding any kind of legal work). If you had the numbers to get into UGA though, you probably wouldn't have to pay sticker at UR, especially if you apply as soon as you get your LSAT score.

The key to getting into any of these schools is your LSAT. I don't think any of the schools will care that much about anything other than LSAT and GPA. Go ahead and take a practice test and figure out what your base score is. That will tell you what kind of prep you need to do. 1 month to study for the LSAT is really short changing yourself.

163 or 164 should be enough to get you into U of R no matter what your GPA is, If you have a strong GPA, I'd say anything 160-163 would probably be good enough.

For UGA, you're LSAT is also going to be very very important 164/165 will be what you will need to get in.

For W&L, 166 was the magic number last year. If you're applying there, you might as well apply to W&M as well.

For more specific numbers, look at the graphs for each school on lawschoolnumbers.com

If you have any further questions, you can post them, or feel free to PM me.

gamblera

Postby gamblera » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:49 am

UorR does very well in Richmond. If you want to practice in rva, don't let the national ranking scare you away. I know a few of the ladies in admin and I know if you asked they would be happy to give you employment data for the richmond area--and from what i've heard, showing interest in UofR through phone calls and email helps out greatly...so definitely ask.

also, I've interned/worked downtown at the gab/banks/large firms and there are always UofR alum there. and there are quite of few practices started by UofR alum that are doing quite well.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:23 am

U of Richmond does very well in the Richmond legal market; just take a look at firm profiles and you'll see that for yourself.

My advice to you though; cancel the October lsat and give yourself some time to really study for the test.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”