UVA ED vs. NYU ED

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ميشيل عفلق

UVA ED vs. NYU ED

Postby ميشيل عفلق » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:20 am

It is my intention to apply ED at either one of these schools. I have a slight but persistent preference for NYU over UVA but I know would be happy at either. Per LSN, my numbers are reliable WL territory for NYU RD but there are two ED data points that give me inspiration that I have a ~25% chance of admission via NYU ED. I anticipate being accepted at UVA if I apply ED but I am somewhat worried that if I ED later in the cycle (see #3 below, it's possible) my chances will be worse. I think I have about a 25% chance of success with UVA RD. In planning for my application cycle, there are a few things to take into account:

1) UVA ED gives decisions within 15 days of applying. This means I could know where I'm going as early as mid-Sept., which would be really nice.

2) NYU ED decisions usually go out in early/mid-Dec.

3) UVA ED deadline isn't until Feb 2011. And it's possible to add an ED contract to a completed RD application to commit to UVA and expedite the decision.

So, my plan is to apply to NYU ED and UVA RD in September and wait until mid-Dec to hear back from NYU. If I'm in, beautiful. If I'm deferred or rejected, I will send in the UVA ED contact and cross my fingers that it'll still boost me into acceptance. My back-up plan is GULC (and I'm applying to others in the lower-T14 with hopes that, should the back-up plan go into effect, I can negotiate some $$$ out of GULC). So my question is... does this sound like a good plan? Tell me of any flaws you see.

Mike12188

Re: UVA ED vs. NYU ED

Postby Mike12188 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:49 am

Wow, replace NYU with UPenn and this is my exact situation. I am also a little nervous about applying ED to UVA in mid december and it being too late. An ED to UVA Sept 1st would definitely be a short and sweet cycle.

FWIW I think it is a good plan depending on your numbers. I'm a 3.3/171 so I'm def. more towards the risky side.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:40 pm

What are your numbers, and do you know what subject areas you'll want to study most?

ميشيل عفلق

Postby ميشيل عفلق » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:03 pm

I am aiming for government work soon after law school which is a reason why UVA is high up on my list.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:13 pm

I don't think TLS can help you assess your plan very much without some numbers, but if you are interested in government work, then I hope you are familiar with IBR and NYU and Virginia's LRAPs. If not, here's a good place to start reading: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=119817

ميشيل عفلق

Postby ميشيل عفلق » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Numbers are slightly better than Mike's.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:40 pm

How the hell did you get your name like that? Also, what the hell? :?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:04 am

NYU ED, then do UVA ED if it doesn't work. (UVA looks like it's going to continue its extended ED deadline thingy)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”