more questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ezelin

more questions

Postby ezelin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:42 pm

thx a lot for a lot of answers on my previous question.. those answers helped me a lot. really.

1.is berklee that bad? i'm considering there not just because i wanna be an entertainment lawyer. im not 100% sure that i wanna be an ent lawyer. It's my second idea to study intellectual property law.. i wanna work for companies like emi hmv so on. i mean, it's music related busienss. won't it help to study music business?

2. for studying intellectual property law, where would you recommend?

kalvano

Re: more questions

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Berklee is better than Coolee.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:53 pm

What are your numbers?

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:54 pm

I would answer this...

ezelin wrote:thx a lot for a lot of answers on my previous question.. those answers helped me a lot. really.

1.is berklee that bad? i'm considering there not just because i wanna be an entertainment lawyer. im not 100% sure that i wanna be an ent lawyer. It's my second idea to study intellectual property law.. i wanna work for companies like emi hmv so on. i mean, it's music related busienss. won't it help to study music business?

2. for studying intellectual property law, where would you recommend?

But I see that you also wrote this...

Subject: best entertainment law school?

ezelin wrote:i want to work in the music industry, so i'm thinking abt applying to berklee to study music business after law school...

im a freshman so i do have enough time to prepare for LSAT.. where should I aim for?

The best things to be worrying about now are getting good grades, enjoying college, and writing successful applications to be a summer intern at companies like emi and hmv.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:06 am

Lol stop writing Berklee, it's Berkeley :wink:

Ezelin, the first problem is that everyone and their brother wants to go into entertainment law. It's an extremely difficult field to practice law in, and it very rarely happens right out of law school. More than likely, you'll first have to work corporate Biglaw then lateral into the type of position you want after slaving away for years.

The other problem is that the idea of "entertainment law" is often very idealized and many people don't actually have a real idea of what real entertainment lawyers do.

I myself am really fascinated by the workings of the film industry, have a background in film, and would love to someday find a way to use my law degree in the industry. However, I know this is a far fetched dream (not to say it isn't worth trying for). Just know what you're getting into and that likely you'll need other plans/option.

With that being said, there are many reasons that you should go to the best law school you can get into (with a few exception). First, because the field of entertainment law is so competitive having a law degree from a prestigious university will give you an edge. Second, many people's career goals change once they enter law school or they are forced to head in another direction, being from a top ranked school opens doors for you that a lower ranked school will not. Third, because you will likely have to work in Biglaw first and lateral to where you want to end up, a top ranked school will help you get a Biglaw position.

You should ideally aim for a top 10 school, and as high as you can get. However, like I said there are some exceptions to that rule. The biggest exception is that one you go below about the top 13, you're better off dropping down and going regional. If I had my pick of schools and had the exact same goals as you, this would be my preference

1. Harvard or Yale
2. Stanford
3. Columbia, NYU
4. Chicago, Berkeley
5. UCLA
6. Michigan, Penn, Northwestern, Cornell, Virginia, Duke
7. USC
^
^
^
Loyola/Pepperdine

That's just me though. And no BERKELEY isn't bad, lol, it's just expensive.

BTW did you say you were a freshmen. For now, you should focus on your GPA b.c. without a decent GPA none of these schools are an option ( :

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 am

Are you sure http://www.berklee.edu/ isn't opening a law school?

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:08 am

kalvano wrote:Berklee is better than Coolee.

That made me literally lol at work... now my boss knows I'm slacking off :D

Return to “Choosing a Law School”