NYU vs. CLS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vsl89

NYU vs. CLS

Postby vsl89 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:44 pm

So, this is going to sound a bit silly, but I have #s that would give me a really good shot at NYU w/ED, but ~30% shot at CLS ED. I know that the smart thing to do would be to apply to NYU ED and guarantee myself a spot in the T6 (more or less), but I'm having a hard time getting excited about the prospect of attending NYU. One main reason is I want to attend a school that has a beautiful campus. CLS definitely does, but NYU seems lacking? How is the LS blding? Modern? I've the Law Library is beautiful, but can't seem to find pictures? Any one here who has found NYU particularly appealing aesthetically? Anything that gives it the edge up over CLS in terms of quality of living?

thecilent

Re: NYU vs. CLS

Postby thecilent » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:13 pm

vsl89 wrote:So, this is going to sound a bit silly, but I have #s that would give me a really good shot at NYU w/ED, but ~30% shot at CLS ED. I know that the smart thing to do would be to apply to NYU ED and guarantee myself a spot in the T6 (more or less), but I'm having a hard time getting excited about the prospect of attending NYU. One main reason is I want to attend a school that has a beautiful campus. CLS definitely does, but NYU seems lacking? How is the LS blding? Modern? I've the Law Library is beautiful, but can't seem to find pictures? Any one here who has found NYU particularly appealing aesthetically? Anything that gives it the edge up over CLS in terms of quality of living?

YHS or bust.

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:36 pm

thecilent wrote:
vsl89 wrote:So, this is going to sound a bit silly, but I have #s that would give me a really good shot at NYU w/ED, but ~30% shot at CLS ED. I know that the smart thing to do would be to apply to NYU ED and guarantee myself a spot in the T6 (more or less), but I'm having a hard time getting excited about the prospect of attending NYU. One main reason is I want to attend a school that has a beautiful campus. CLS definitely does, but NYU seems lacking? How is the LS blding? Modern? I've the Law Library is beautiful, but can't seem to find pictures? Any one here who has found NYU particularly appealing aesthetically? Anything that gives it the edge up over CLS in terms of quality of living?

YHS or bust.

UMich is really nice. And Cornell ain't bad. (CLS Low library + Butler are really nice)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:39 pm

What are your numberS?

Prospects, prospects, prospects, oh and cost too. CLS is looked upon a bit better than NYU, but the difference in prospects is not that significant. If I were you I would ask myself if a little bit of scenery is worth risking for a smaller shot at T6.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:40 pm

vsl89 wrote:
thecilent wrote:

YHS or bust.

UMich is really nice. And Cornell ain't bad. (CLS Low library + Butler are really nice)

:|

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:41 pm

vsl89 wrote:I want to attend a school that has a beautiful campus. CLS definitely does, but NYU seems lacking? How is the LS blding? Modern? I've the Law Library is beautiful, but can't seem to find pictures? Any one here who has found NYU particularly appealing aesthetically? Anything that gives it the edge up over CLS in terms of quality of living?

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with this at all - the NYU campus beats CLS hands-down. First off, *Columbia* is beautiful, but the law school is not.

This is Columbia
--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

This is CLS

This is a bodega

When I visited, I thought CLS had a pretty impersonal feel, and NYU seemed like a more active, chill campus. And the village is a MUCH better place to spend three years of your life than Morningside Heights - just google "Washington Square Park" and enjoy.

Depending on what you want to do, CLS can be better, but quality of life is all NYU - and I'm headed to Michigan, so this is 100% impartial. :D

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:43 pm

vsl89 wrote:

I...don't know what to do with this.

P. Bateman

Postby P. Bateman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:44 pm

You really think a law school that looks like an air conditioning unit looks nice?

If you want a nice looking law school don't go to CLS or NYU. UVA looks like a mausoleum and Penn isn't particularly nice either. Michigan looks really nice and is probably a school you have a shot at (if you have the stats for NYU, that is), but if you want to do Biglaw you would be making a HUGE mistake if you go to Michigan over NYU.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:45 pm

kazu wrote:
vsl89 wrote:

I...don't know what to do with this.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 pm

vsl89 wrote:Anything that gives it the edge up over CLS in terms of quality of living?

Have you been to either of these schools personally? NYU is in the Village, while Columbia is on the outskirts of Harlem. It's generally though that NYU is in a much more fun, accessible part of New York. I think this might count more towards "quality of living" than the architecture.

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:57 pm

kazu wrote:
vsl89 wrote:Anything that gives it the edge up over CLS in terms of quality of living?

Have you been to either of these schools personally? NYU is in the Village, while Columbia is on the outskirts of Harlem. It's generally though that NYU is in a much more fun, accessible part of New York. I think this might count more towards "quality of living" than the architecture.

I have been around both of them. I tend to like the quiet more, which is why I guess I liked CLS more. Also, NYU undergrads are just plain annoying. Plus, the architecture of parts of Columbia is much nicer. It has an actual campus feel, although I agree that the law school bldg itself clearly has little to no aesthetic value.

P. Bateman

Postby P. Bateman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:58 pm

I hope you go to Cornell.

mvp

Postby mvp » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:59 pm

2ofspades wrote:
vsl89 wrote:I want to attend a school that has a beautiful campus. CLS definitely does, but NYU seems lacking? How is the LS blding? Modern? I've the Law Library is beautiful, but can't seem to find pictures? Any one here who has found NYU particularly appealing aesthetically? Anything that gives it the edge up over CLS in terms of quality of living?

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with this at all - the NYU campus beats CLS hands-down. First off, *Columbia* is beautiful, but the law school is not.

This is Columbia

This is CLS

This is a bodega

When I visited, I thought CLS had a pretty impersonal feel, and NYU seemed like a more active, chill campus. And the village is a MUCH better place to spend three years of your life than Morningside Heights - just google "Washington Square Park" and enjoy.

Depending on what you want to do, CLS can be better, but quality of life is all NYU - and I'm headed to Michigan, so this is 100% impartial. :D

Ummm...so I'm a little biased, being that i currently attend CLS. However, I'm a city boy and my only requirement when it came to choosing a law school was that it be in the city - which basically narrowed it down to either CLS or NYU. Although other factors were taken into consideration, campus/area was definitely a big one. With that said, personal preference may come into play in regards to location, (although no one i know would rather LIVE in the Village as opposed to Morningside Heights), but in regards to the campus and buildings NYU doesn't even come close to CLS. [Oh and btw, your pictures are a little deceptive, it insinuates that CLS is a separate entity, when in fact it's on the Columbia campus!]

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:00 pm

vsl89 wrote:
kazu wrote:

I have been around both of them. I tend to like the quiet more, which is why I guess I liked CLS more. Also, NYU undergrads are just plain annoying. Plus, the architecture of parts of Columbia is much nicer. It has an actual campus feel, although I agree that the law school bldg itself clearly has little to no aesthetic value.

Hmm... would you feel comfortable posting your numbers? How much of a chance do you have at NYU RD?

As a rule I'd say don't apply ED to somewhere you wouldn't want to go, but a seat at T6 isn't something to sneeze at..

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:06 pm

kazu wrote:
vsl89 wrote:
kazu wrote:

Hmm... would you feel comfortable posting your numbers? How much of a chance do you have at NYU RD?

As a rule I'd say don't apply ED to somewhere you wouldn't want to go, but a seat at T6 isn't something to sneeze at..

169/4.0
I feel like I have a decent shot at RD, given LSN,but I don't want to take a chance when the only school I'd rather go to is not likely to take me at all. No one on LSN was accepted w/ a 169 last cycle, I believe. (It, of course, happens, but it ain't likely!)

P. Bateman

Postby P. Bateman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Apply ED

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:27 pm

P. Bateman wrote:Apply ED

I second this.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 pm

vsl89 wrote:I feel like I have a decent shot at RD, given LSN,but I don't want to take a chance when the only school I'd rather go to is not likely to take me at all. No one on LSN was accepted w/ a 169 last cycle, I believe. (It, of course, happens, but it ain't likely!)

Yeah.. I'd apply ED to NYU if I were you. While you have a decent shot, I think you have an almost equal chance at getting waitlisted or rejected RD.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:12 am

Visit and see what you like more.

Also as someone who lives in Morningside but goes to NYU, you can have the best of both worlds (or do the reverse if you love the village but wanna go to CLS)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”