JD/MA in Journalism: Where should I consider?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ut_89

JD/MA in Journalism: Where should I consider?

Postby ut_89 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:53 pm

After a few weeks of consideration, I'm seriously looking at law schools that have dual degrees in law and journalism, but I'm really not sure how to rank my options. With the research I've done, these are the order I'm considering different programs:

1 - Missouri (#93 LS, #1 journalism)
2 - UNC (#28 LS, #4 journalism)
3 - Northwestern (#11 LS, #3 journalism)
4 - Columbia (#4 LS, #2 journalism)
5 - Indiana (#27, #5 journalism)
6 - UIUC (#21 LS, #20 journalism)

It's worth pointing out that my goal is to work in public interest on the law side (ideally somewhere like the Institute for Justice) and to work in broadcast journalism and maybe write a column. First of all, are these somewhat realistic goals? Second, from the standpoint of getting where I want to with my career, should I re-order my list? Outside of that I only have one big specific question: Are the career prospects out of Missouri as horrible as TLS makes them sound? Mizzou's journalism program is bar-none the best for what I want to do in the journalism world but the law school's drop in rank is concerning to me to say the least.

Any other advice or info about law/journalism programs would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Knock

Re: JD/MA in Journalism: Where should I consider?

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:56 pm

ut_89 wrote:After a few weeks of consideration, I'm seriously looking at law schools that have dual degrees in law and journalism, but I'm really not sure how to rank my options. With the research I've done, these are the order I'm considering different programs:

1 - Missouri (#93 LS, #1 journalism)
2 - UNC (#28 LS, #4 journalism)
3 - Northwestern (#11 LS, #3 journalism)
4 - Columbia (#4 LS, #2 journalism)
5 - Indiana (#27, #5 journalism)
6 - UIUC (#21 LS, #20 journalism)

It's worth pointing out that my goal is to work in public interest on the law side (ideally somewhere like the Institute for Justice) and to work in broadcast journalism and maybe write a column. First of all, are these somewhat realistic goals? Second, from the standpoint of getting where I want to with my career, should I re-order my list? Outside of that I only have one big specific question: Are the career prospects out of Missouri as horrible as TLS makes them sound? Mizzou's journalism program is bar-none the best for what I want to do in the journalism world but the law school's drop in rank is concerning to me to say the least.

Any other advice or info about law/journalism programs would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best law school that you get into that also has a graduate journalism program. Your welcome :D.

Obviously Columbia would be far and away the best choice on the list. What's your LSAT/GPA?

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:07 am

i seriously doubt anyone on TLS is qualified to answer this question. this depends so much on your career goals and what you'd like to do with said degrees. if journalism is your focus, then i'd aim for mizzou - better school + better shot at $$$ = good choice. if you want to work as a lawyer, then the standard TLS elitism is far more applicable......

i would go ask people who do your dream job.

spondee

Postby spondee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:34 am

I don't see how you'd be a public interest lawyer (long hours) and simultaneously work in broadcast journalism (long climb up the ladder). It definitely seems feasible to write a column in addition to one of those, but you don't need a journalism degree for that. Is there anyone that fits the profile of what you want to do that you could talk to for advice?

ut_89

Postby ut_89 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:10 am

@spondee: That's the biggest part I'm unsure about because I know public interest and broadcast have long hours. I have a few people in mind that have taken similar career tracks to what I would like so I'm definitely going to try and get in touch with them for advice.

@knockglock: Columbia would be higher on my list but lawschoolpredictor.com has me at best as a weak consider. My GPA will end up 3.3-3.4 and on the three LSAT practice tests I've done I got 169, 174, 175. For Columbia to be a serious option I need to get at least a 174 and preferably a 176 or higher on the real thing. That said, even if I get a 168-169 all the other schools I mentioned are realistic goals.

Does anyone have comments about Missouri's law school though? Especially, why the huge drop in rankings from '10 to '11?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:30 am

I worked briefly in journalism, and I can tell you that the idea of juggling two careers like this is not going to work, period. You can get the MA if you want, but it's not really going to help you that much, at least not in the short run.

If you want my suggestion, go to Columbia (whether you get an MA in Journalism or not), rock the legal world for a few years, and then try to become a legal analyst for a TV network. How do you do that? I'm not entirely sure, and leave it up to others to provide the details for you. I'm also pretty sure it's a somewhat rare feat in life, though attainable if you really want it. But what I do know that Ivy League names on your resume help with that, looking at the backgrounds of many legal analysts on TV today, and very few of them have graduate degrees in journalism.

Pip

Postby Pip » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:02 am

I think what you would ideally want to do would be Yale's MLS program it is designed for people that aren't going to be lawyers but want an understanding of the law. The upside to it would be that you do it in 1 year. The downside is that you are not eligible to enter the normal JD track, so you can't use it as a short cut to getting in to their JD program. I knew journalists that were doing it for reasons very similar to what you are describing.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:41 pm

I don't get the point of a MA in journalism. Seems like just a university cash cow that won't do much for you. Waste of $ if you ask me.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Blindmelon wrote:I don't get the point of a MA in journalism. Seems like just a university cash cow that won't do much for you. Waste of $ if you ask me.

This. And I was a journalism UG. Going to grad school for journalism isn't worth it - work experience is so much more valuable in that field.

Also...that's not a career you're talking about, OP. It's juggling two demanding, somewhat incompatible careers. You may want to do some soul-searching and figure out what it is you want.

Know, also, that both fields are currently in the toilet employment-wise :(

Return to “Choosing a Law School”