Is New York Law School a good school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
robbsmiths

Is New York Law School a good school?

Postby robbsmiths » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:20 am

I am Robb. I'm trying to choose which law schools to apply to, and New York City is a location I will be choosing schools from. What is your opinion on New York Law School ?
If you have opinions on any of the other law schools in NYC, excluding NYU, Cornell, Columbia and Fordham,

Please share..............

By
Robb Smith

bk1

Re: Is New York Law School a good school?

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:21 am

NYU Law without the U.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:22 am

no

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:30 am

robbsmiths wrote:I am Robb. I'm trying to choose which law schools to apply to, and New York City is a location I will be choosing schools from. What is your opinion on New York Law School ?
If you have opinions on any of the other law schools in NYC, excluding NYU, Cornell, Columbia and Fordham,

Please share..............

By
Robb Smith
Radiologist Technician Schools
Hairdressing Schools
What are the best teams in major league baseball, excluding the Yankees, Rays, Twins, Rangers, Braves, Reds, Cardinals, Padres, and any other objectively "good" teams I missed?

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:32 am

New York is an extremely saturated market. And New York Law School is very far down on the totem pole. NYLS also has some of the highest average debts rates in the country. So going to NYLS is definitely a gamble to say the least.

Here is a good post about law schools in New York and how NYLS fits into the scheme of things: http://www.top-law-schools.com/choosing ... in-ny.html

That being said, if you want to find work outside of New York, it will really open up doors for you, as people will always mix it up with NYU.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:24 am

Total Litigator wrote: That being said, if you want to find work outside of New York, it will really open up doors for you, as people will always mix it up with NYU.

That might be the only "good" reason to go to NYLS. Kinda like going to Stetsen and hoping people will mix it up with Stanford.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:27 am

Robb, stop spamming the forums. No links to random outsite sites in your sig from here on out.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:49 am

Ragged wrote:That might be the only "good" reason to go to NYLS. Kinda like going to Stetsen and hoping people will mix it up with Stanford.

My rankings of T3/T4 schools that will open doors for you outside of the region if you can clear your throat while saying them in response to "So Where did you go to Law School?"
Ranked in relation to the ranking of the better school and how much the T3/T4 actually sounds like the better school:

1) Samford = Stanford
2) Howard = Harvard
3) New York Law School = NYU
4) Michigan State University = University of Michigan
5) Duquesne = Duke
6) William [&] Mitchell College of Law = William & Mary College of Law
7) Thomas Jefferson: If they've heard of George Washington, they'll probably assume that Thomas Jefferson can't be too far behind.

As you can see, OP, NYLS is pretty damn high up there.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:35 am

If you are intending to make your life and career in NYC, I'd strongly suggest that you not become a lawyer at all.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:37 am

Total Litigator wrote:And New York Law School is very far down on the totem pole.

I'd say it's about as far down the totem pole as any law school in existence.

If you'd like to commit financial suicide, run along. If not, avoid it like a plague.

doomed123

Postby doomed123 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Total Litigator wrote:
Ragged wrote:That might be the only "good" reason to go to NYLS. Kinda like going to Stetsen and hoping people will mix it up with Stanford.

My rankings of T3/T4 schools that will open doors for you outside of the region if you can clear your throat while saying them in response to "So Where did you go to Law School?"
Ranked in relation to the ranking of the better school and how much the T3/T4 actually sounds like the better school:

1) Samford = Stanford
2) Howard = Harvard
5) Duquesne = Duke
7) Thomas Jefferson: If they've heard of George Washington, they'll probably assume that Thomas Jefferson can't be too far behind.

Don't forget Northwestern School of Law (at Lewis & Clark College).

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:18 pm

doomed123 wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:

1) Samford = Stanford
2) Howard = Harvard
5) Duquesne = Duke

Don't forget Northwestern School of Law (at Lewis & Clark College).

And the University of Puget Sound School of Law (at Seattle Univ)

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Total Litigator wrote:

1) Samford = Stanford
2) Howard = Harvard
5) Duquesne = Duke

How can you forget Penn = Penn State?

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Total Litigator wrote:

1) Samford = Stanford
2) Howard = Harvard
5) Duquesne = Duke

You've also forgotten (Villa)Nova and Nova Southeastern.

lawoffices

Postby lawoffices » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:17 am

Hey all..

Thanks for the lovely discussion about the law schools in NY city..

SPAM, SO TASTY, SO DELETED BY MODS

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:08 am

Just to be completely accurate, the law schools at Lewis and Clark and Seattle University are ranked T2. They are not T3/T4 schools. In fact, and oddly enough, of the six law schools in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington) just one is a T1 and just one is a T4. The others are all T2. If you prefer a more expansive definition of "PNW", the Universities of Montana and Idaho both sport T3 law schools. Too bad, so sad...if I were thirty years younger and looking for a law school, Montana would be at the very TOP of my list, T3 or no T3!

I wonder what happened with Willamette, anyway?

hncsarge34

Postby hncsarge34 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Some interesting alumni from NYLS. Not too many schools can say they have graduates serving as television judges and the Harlem Globetrotters.

I wonder if you could clerk for Judge Judy?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Never give your real name on TLS. On the other hand, never give anyone else's real name either.

And...NYLS is a very good...er...building! :D

Actually, it's a pretty good law school, but it's in a saturated market and has extremely local job prospects (like, from right around the corner up to a 30 block radius, might as well say). Even worse, those prospects only apply to the very best students. Put it this way, it's not NYU but it isn't Cooley either. It's a good enough law school that, if you are a complete stud, you will have good job prospects. If you aren't in the top-10 students in your class...not "top-10%" but top-10!, don't expect much. Come to think of it, I would worry if I weren't in the top-5 at NYLS.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Total Litigator wrote:

1) Samford = Stanford
2) Howard = Harvard
5) Duquesne = Duke

Don't forget (UMASS School of Law) - DARTMOUTH.

Also, OP is flame.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:49 pm

lawschoollll wrote:Don't forget (UMASS School of Law) - DARTMOUTH.

What?

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:33 pm

clintonius wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:Don't forget (UMASS School of Law) - DARTMOUTH.

What?

http://law.umassd.edu/

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:39 pm

Well fuckin' A. I suppose people who get fooled by that probably don't know that Dartmouth has no law school.

Barbie_Head

Postby Barbie_Head » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:33 pm

Received an email about this interview with NYLS's Dean of Admissions. He specifically responds to TLS criticism of his school. Worth sharing.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Barbie_Head wrote:Received an email about this interview with NYLS's Dean of Admissions. He specifically responds to TLS criticism of his school. Worth sharing.

This isn't actually worth sharing.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Received an email about this interview with NYLS's Dean of Admissions. He specifically responds to TLS criticism of his school. Worth sharing.

His response is pretty telling. When asked about the problems NYLS graduates are having his response is basically this:

Well, our top 15% isn't screwed! We even give them scholarships so they won't flee to better schools. Oh yeah, we also tell them a bunch of lies and half-truths about how they will be screwed if they flee to NYU or Columbia.

And at least we don't fail out our bottom 25%! Because then we wouldn't get their tuition dollars anymore. And hey, someone has to pay for those scholarships we give to the chosen few

Return to “Choosing a Law School”