Healthcare Administration or Law School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kodiak

Healthcare Administration or Law School?

Postby kodiak » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:16 am

Hello all. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I've found the forum very helpful and wanted to gain some insight from others about two options that I am considering.

If I attend law school, I will most likely enroll at Baylor because of the scholarship opportunities and because they operate on a quarter system; this will allow me to enroll this upcoming spring semester, which would be the most convenient time for me. My other current option is to pursue a Masters in Healthcare Administration at the University of Minnesota, which has a very strong and nationally recognized program (2nd in the USNWR rankings).

I am, however, a bit hesitant about entering law school because I have read several reports stating that the market for lawyers has become very poor and over-saturated. I wanted to know what the views were on this matter (will the market be different 3 years down the line when I graduate and am looking for employment?) and what industry you guys think would be wiser to enter. I understand that Baylor only has regional appeal, but I am a Texas native and so I would prefer to stay in the area. Also, the Texas legal market doesn't seem to be suffering as much as elsewhere. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

sophia.olive

Re: Healthcare Administration or Law School?

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:26 am

Baylor=no

Though i do like taking the lsat there.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:39 am

Which do you want to do more?

If you do decide on law, it is not worthwhile to limit yourself based on starting dates. Being more flexible will likely yield large benefits towards your eventual employment prospects.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Can you see yourself as a healthcare administrator? If so, that is your best option. It will save you time, money, and the hassle of having to go back to school and get your MHA after you decide you hate being a lawyer.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:47 pm

Case2L wrote:Can you see yourself as a healthcare administrator? If so, that is your best option. It will save you time, money, and the hassle of having to go back to school and get your MHA after you decide you hate being a lawyer.

Agreed.

Also, health care is a growing field. Law is not.

fear&loathingintexas

Postby fear&loathingintexas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:43 pm

I'd do the MHA. I've heard Baylor Law is not a fun place. Or you could wait until next cycle and try applying to some dual-degree programs - I know Tulane offers a JD/MHA program.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Wait a year; go to Houston instead.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Have you looked into Healthcare Law? St. Louis University is #1 (or around #1).

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:42 pm

oshberg28 wrote:Have you looked into Healthcare Law? St. Louis University is #1 (or around #1).

NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!

Specialty rankings mean NOTHING.

Postby 2014 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:12 am

I love how everytime someone comes in here and asks: Should I do X or law school? The answer is almost always to do the other thing.

Yet everyone who answers is going to law school...

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:23 am

2014 wrote:I love how everytime someone comes in here and asks: Should I do X or law school? The answer is almost always to do the other thing.

Eliminating future competition early on isn't a cop-out - it's just thinking ahead. Plain old common sense.

judgeholden

Postby judgeholden » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:26 am

2014 wrote:I love how everytime someone comes in here and asks: Should I do X or law school? The answer is almost always to do the other thing.

I've met plenty of alcoholics that say "don't ever let the alcohol control you," yet every day they do just that. Weird, right?

People that made mistakes try to warn others.
Sometimes they're already too deep in their own mistake to turn around.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”