(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ivyhopeful56

Postby ivyhopeful56 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 pm

---
Last edited by ivyhopeful56 on Thu May 17, 2012 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

ivyhopeful56

Re: OSU?

Postby ivyhopeful56 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:30 am

bump

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:04 am

If you have a lot of leadership and volunteer experience you should definitely apply for the Moritz Scholar scholly, which is full tuition all three years. They also have other leadership scholarship opportunities, but I believe the Moritz Scholar one is the only one that requires an extra application (I think it's just a leadership specific LOR and an essay, but I'm not positive).

If you want to stay in Ohio, then OSU is your BEST option hands-down.

I'm an OSU hopeful as well - it's my first choice :) Have you visited at all? I went to their open house last month and it was pretty great. I have lots of info from that if you have any other questions :)

ivyhopeful56

Postby ivyhopeful56 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:17 am

---
Last edited by ivyhopeful56 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:26 am

ivyhopeful56 wrote:Do you think a why OSU essay would help in getting more money?

I have visited and I love it! The atmosphere is unreal IMO.

I was planning on applying for the Mortiz, but I wasn't sure what kind of numbers you really need to have to receive that (that would make my decision for me if I got it). My whole resume is leadership and volunteer work like I mentioned and I will be having a personal letter from my school President, but I feel like this is just another numbers game like admissions.

Well, your numbers are actually quite good for OSU in general so I definitely think you should apply for the Moritz! And, of course, it can't hurt you to apply. I think they take the leadership stuff much more into account for the scholly than they do for admission.

One thing I found interesting at the open house I went to is Dean Northern said to remember that when an application says something is optional, it's really not. They would prefer everyone to attempt a diversity statement, etc. I don't think a Why OSU essay would hurt you at all. Although, you could also use your PS to write about your career goals and how OSU is the perfect law school for that plan. It sounded at the open house that they like those types of PS.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:33 am

Side note: I'm happy to see someone else on here talking about OSU. I know this is TOP law schools, but I feel like other Big 10 schools that are somewhat similarly ranked get far more love on TLS than OSU!

ivyhopeful56

Postby ivyhopeful56 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:02 am

---
Last edited by ivyhopeful56 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

I know that something like 85% of students receive some kind of aid. I do believe that the 12K and 5K offers are the most prevalent (at least from what I've seen).

At the open house I went to the student panel did say that it is hard to find a job right now, but they also specifically cited the alumni network as a great resource. They also said that the career services office was good about keeping the alumni network active, engaged and available. That's really all I know though.

ivyhopeful56

Postby ivyhopeful56 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 am

---
Last edited by ivyhopeful56 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:27 am

Honestly OSU does not get enough love on here. I have family in colombus, and i have been down there ALOT. It is a beatiful place to live and OSU willl give resident status after the 1st year which makes alot cheaper than the majority of schools with similar rankings.

ivyhopeful56

Postby ivyhopeful56 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:40 am

Does anyone know if they have a resident director position available to law students? I have been a resident assistant for 2 years now and thought this would be a good opportunity to save money on housing and make money, but I cant find anything about it on their website

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:42 am

ivyhopeful56 wrote:Does anyone know if they have a resident director position available to law students? I have been a resident assistant for 2 years now and thought this would be a good opportunity to save money on housing and make money, but I cant find anything about it on their website

They don't have law school dorms so I'm guessing no. They do have a work-study program though so that may be an option...I think it's mostly things like working in the library, assisting faculty, etc.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:51 am

OSU is one I was considering throwing in my reaches. Do they give advantage to in-state? And do you know what #s they usually accept?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:54 am

Ok, I want to point out that you probably won't get the moritz. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply but it's a big longshot. The Moritz usually goes to people who could go to t14 or t10 but want to stay in ohio so they choose OSU. I'm someone who is considering tOSU because I think I'd like to stay in ohio so i've researched it a lot, although I think I would probably attent a t10 instead and just work to get back to ohio if my LSAT score works out.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 am

Barbie wrote:OSU is one I was considering throwing in my reaches. Do they give advantage to in-state? And do you know what #s they usually accept?

Yes, they give advantage for in state, average is about a 3.7 163. Which is a little low for it's rankings due to the preference for in state students.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:59 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Barbie wrote:OSU is one I was considering throwing in my reaches. Do they give advantage to in-state? And do you know what #s they usually accept?

Yes, they give advantage for in state, average is about a 3.7 163. Which is a little low for it's rankings due to the preference for in state students.

Is there a list somewhere of schools that give in-state? It's lame that UF and FSU don't, when those are our state schools, but it seems like all of the other state schools do!

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Barbie wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Is there a list somewhere of schools that give in-state? It's lame that UF and FSU don't, when those are our state schools, but it seems like all of the other state schools do!

Just look on schools websites, like UVA's website specifically states they reserve 40% of their class for Virginia residents. But it doesn't mean if you have the numbers and are out of state that you have a worse chance of getting in. It just usually means a few people with worse numbers are getting in due to their in state preference.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:02 pm

I'm really hoping that their preference for in-state helps me out. I live in Cbus and have a 3.28/164. I'm applying ED as well, and as early as possible. Crossing my fingers :)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:03 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Just look on schools websites, like UVA's website specifically states they reserve 40% of their class for Virginia residents. But it doesn't mean if you have the numbers and are out of state that you have a worse chance of getting in. It just usually means a few people with worse numbers are getting in due to their in state preference.

except for schools like UNC I hear. and I don't really think a 3.7 median GPA is very low. 163 is surprising for their rank.

ivyhopeful56

Postby ivyhopeful56 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Ok, I want to point out that you probably won't get the moritz. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply but it's a big longshot. The Moritz usually goes to people who could go to t14 or t10 but want to stay in ohio so they choose OSU. I'm someone who is considering tOSU because I think I'd like to stay in ohio so i've researched it a lot, although I think I would probably attent a t10 instead and just work to get back to ohio if my LSAT score works out.

That's what I sorta thought, but I wasn't sure. Do know of any other scholarships that are more than their 12k and 5k that they give?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:17 pm

ivyhopeful56 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Ok, I want to point out that you probably won't get the moritz. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply but it's a big longshot. The Moritz usually goes to people who could go to t14 or t10 but want to stay in ohio so they choose OSU. I'm someone who is considering tOSU because I think I'd like to stay in ohio so i've researched it a lot, although I think I would probably attent a t10 instead and just work to get back to ohio if my LSAT score works out.

That's what I sorta thought, but I wasn't sure. Do know of any other scholarships that are more than their 12k and 5k that they give?

You know, I am not sure how that works out. I mean 12k a year is basically half with my in state. So that is a lot. But I probably would only attend tOSU if I got the moritz (unless I do a lot worse on the LSAT than I am planning too).

utopian_grrl

Postby utopian_grrl » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:31 pm

I love OSU. I considered attending there for undergrad but knew the major distractions would have affected my school performance. So, I chose a slightly smaller university in a comparatively dead city with not so many distractions.

I'm already in state, but even for out-of-staters, OSU is a good deal tuition-wise. Depending on my LSAT results, OSU will be a safety or target but definitely on the list. From what I've heard from other students, it seems pretty simple to establish residency in Ohio.

As far as the Moritz scholarship is concerned, it doesn' hurt to apply. OSU probably has a preference for who it wants to win, but you never know.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”