Attend best ranked law school you are accepted to?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawyerwannabe

Attend best ranked law school you are accepted to?

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:30 pm

I have a hypothetical question.

Would it be better to:

Attend HYS, get middled 1/3 in grades and no LR

or

Attend CCNMVP, get top 10% in grades and LR?

I am curious how perspective employers would compare and contrast the two possible two candidates.

Re: Attend best ranked law school you are accepted to?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:34 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I have a hypothetical question.

Would it be better to:

or

I am curious how perspective employers would compare and contrast the two situations.

There is negligible difference between YHS and CCN in terms of talent. You can't assume you will do 23% better at CCN or MVP.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Would it be better to:

or

I am curious how perspective employers would compare and contrast the two situations.

They both sound equally awesome to me. And given that they seem so equal, I would say that whichever of the 2 scenarios leaves less debt is the one I would pick. So I guess I would go with CCNMVP if I knew for sure I could finish in the top 10% and on LR. But I hope you aren't using this as a reflection of reality. The students at CCNMVP are but a mere 2 or 3 LSAT points away from being HYS students themselves. There would be absolutely no difference in overall student-body intelligence. So it would be pretty silly to assume that, if one could finish top 1/3 at HYS, that said person would be top 10% at CCNMVP.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:38 pm

I know you cannt assume that you will place higher simply because you go to a lower ranked school.

Because of this, many people would say go to the better ranked school because that is guaranteed.

However, it seems like the best of the best go to HYS thus, if you are WL accepted (a.k.a probably borderline numbers), would it be smarter to go to a school where your probability of success may be higher such as CCNMVP?

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:38 pm

That is a very good point.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Would it be better to:

or

I am curious how perspective employers would compare and contrast the two possible two candidates.

Get in and then worry about it.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:40 pm

To strictly answer your question without reading anything additional into it, I'd rather be top 10 and on law review at CCNMVP.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Would it be better to:

or

From what people who have gone through OCI have said on here, the LR and 10% at CCNMVP would be better.

Class rank > School rank. The problem is that you don't know what your class rank is going to be, so you go to the highest ranked school you can to mitigate risk.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:42 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:However, it seems like the best of the best go to HYS thus, if you are WL accepted (a.k.a probably borderline numbers), would it be smarter to go to a school where your probability of success may be higher such as CCNMVP?

No, because the true difference in student quality is something like a tenth of a GPA point and 2-3 LSAT points. It's not enough to make the student body dramatically different, which means it won't be dramatically harder competition at the better school. This is why people are saying you shouldn't assume you'll make top 10% at one group of schools but not the other. If you can only make top 25% at HYS at best, then that's probably about how you'd do at CCN, too.

I will point out that HLS doesn't have grades anymore, though.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:43 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:To strictly answer your question without reading anything additional into it, I'd rather be top 10 and on law review at CCNMVP.

Me too, although I MIGHT make an exception for YLS since it's such an academia powerhouse.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:44 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:However, it seems like the best of the best go to HYS thus, if you are WL accepted (a.k.a probably borderline numbers), would it be smarter to go to a school where your probability of success may be higher such as CCNMVP?

Whatever small amount CCNMVP is easier than HYS, is more than made up for by firms valuing HYS over CCN.

Also it seems like even the bottom of HYS is competitive for jobs, while bottom at CCNMVP isn't.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:03 pm

dresden doll wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:To strictly answer your question without reading anything additional into it, I'd rather be top 10 and on law review at CCNMVP.

Me too, although I MIGHT make an exception for YLS since it's such an academia powerhouse.

Yeah, I think Yale is the only one that I would say the advantages are great enough to pass up LR, etc. Yale is just head and shoulders ahead in the most prestigious outlets. When it comes to that group more generally, CCN Law Review is probably in a better position if we are just talking about how far up the V-food chain you get to go. Mere top third at Harvard is not outdoing the Columbia LR candidate when it comes to looking for a V10 job in NYC.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Knockglock wrote:

Would it be better to:

or

Get in and then worry about it.

I am by no means saying that I will be in this situation to choose between HYS and CCNMVP. I will count myself fortunate if I can get anyone of CCN or MVP. I was simply curious and wondering what people thought.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:05 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

Would it be better to:

or

From what people who have gone through OCI have said on here, the LR and 10% at CCNMVP would be better.

Class rank > School rank. The problem is that you don't know what your class rank is going to be, so you go to the highest ranked school you can to mitigate risk.

This seems to make the most sense to me. Also, I never thought about the small difference in numbers that separate HYS from CCNMVP because everyone on here puts HYS head and shoulders above CCNMVP.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:16 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:This seems to make the most sense to me. Also, I never thought about the small difference in numbers that separate HYS from CCNMVP because everyone on here puts HYS head and shoulders above CCNMVP.

The reason people put HYS "head and shoulders above" the rest of the T14 is that when it comes to hiring, employers do. It's not a reflection of the student bodies, which are actually very similar, at all.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:20 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:This seems to make the most sense to me. Also, I never thought about the small difference in numbers that separate HYS from CCNMVP because everyone on here puts HYS head and shoulders above CCNMVP.

The reason people put HYS "head and shoulders above" the rest of the T14 is that when it comes to hiring, employers do. It's not a reflection of the student bodies, which are actually very similar, at all.

It is good to note that there are fewer and fewer applicants at each LSAT score as you go up, culminating with 50-75 applicants who have a 180. It's not as simple as the difference between 170 and 172 being equivalent to the difference between 172 and 174.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:28 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:It is good to note that there are fewer and fewer applicants at each LSAT score as you go up, culminating with 50-75 applicants who have a 180. It's not as simple as the difference between 170 and 172 being equivalent to the difference between 172 and 174.

Yes, but Harvard's median is 173, and Columbia's is 172. Harvard's 75th is 176, and Columbia's is 175. We're talking about a student body that honestly on the average just got one or two fewer wrong answers on the LSAT. Yes, the folks at Harvard are rare, but the folks at CCN are only very slightly less rare.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:33 pm

This thread is a product of a broken advanced search function.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:46 pm

I would never go anywhere but Yale. EVER. And if you don't get top spot on LR there you might as well killself because you'll never pay those loans back.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:30 pm

thickfreakness wrote:I would never go anywhere but Yale. EVER. And if you don't get top spot on LR there you might as well killself because you'll never pay those loans back.

To be fair, they put like half the class on Law Review. Totally a walk in the park to get.

Pip

Postby Pip » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am

Would it be better to:

or

I think you are a bit misinformed, grades have nothing to do with getting on the LR at Yale. LR is open to anyone in the school, you want on you take their entrance exam during the summer between years and if you pass you are on. You want on any of their other journals and you simply sign up. I can't speak of the Harvard or Standford... so I don't know their methodology but anyone in Yale that is willing to spend a couple of days looking for mistakes in their sample and using the citation guide will get on.... Of course one would wonder why you bothered since being on the LR just sucks a lot of your time up doing mindless citation work.

Being or not being on the LR doesn't matter at Yale nor do grades... at Harvard they now use a forced curve so there really isn't a middle third you really would have a top 10% a bottom 10% and 80% in the middle.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm just going to the best ranked school because I know i'll be the dumbest kid there anyways.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”