Surrounded by elitists...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:39 pm

dakatz wrote:
bk1 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:The key, though, is that people who go to elite schools are usually also the kinds of people who are from the right social background to be in at least peripheral contact with people who can help them out. I think this more than anything else is responsible for many t-14s' high job placement rates.


How does this make sense when the T10 places half or more of its grads through OCI?


Just because many get placed through OCI does not mean that they wouldn't have found positions via contacts if OCI hadn't worked out as planned.



Swing and a miss.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:39 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Secondly, if your former girlfriend got into UCLA, I highly doubt that she is a dipshit in any meaningful sense.

I predict that you will be highly disappointed by the caliber of persons in law school.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:39 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
dresden doll wrote:No. The people that go to T14s are usually people who did well on the LSAT and UG. Far as I know, LSAT/GPA does not correlate with contacts or networking.

But they sure do correlate with being rich, which correlates in turn to contacts.


Very few people at my T6 are rich, well connected kids. Not that they all grew up on food stamps or anything, but they tend to be middle class more so than anything else.

User avatar
CapHillLove
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby CapHillLove » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:40 pm

.
Last edited by CapHillLove on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:41 pm

dresden doll wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
dresden doll wrote:No. The people that go to T14s are usually people who did well on the LSAT and UG. Far as I know, LSAT/GPA does not correlate with contacts or networking.

But they sure do correlate with being rich, which correlates in turn to contacts.

Very few people at my T6 are rich, well connected kids. Not that they all grew up on food stamps or anything, but they tend to be middle class more so than anything else.

Weird. Almost everyone at my t-14 is rich. I just assumed it was that way across the board.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:42 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Matthies wrote:I don't know, I guess if for me (knowing what I have done and would do) rank in the same city would not have been a factor for me, becuase well rank has never been a factor in any of the jobs I got. I mean I went to Denver (T2) and have never lost out a job to a CU grads (40s?). Tyhe reason being is plain and simple, I've gotten all my jobs through my conacts, so i never had to play the "whose resume" is ranked higher game. Hence my advice is get to know pwople in school so that you don't have to let the name or your school carry or sink you. Batles of the faceless resmue is just a bad place to be in becuase unless you go to Yale there is allways a resume out there that can trump you on school name alone.


Didn't you graduate a while back, though? I think legal profession has changed quite a bit since, although I certainly do believe that local candidates are frequently given preference in secondary markets.


I graduted in 2009 probabaly the worst ever year to gradute LS. :lol:

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:42 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Secondly, if your former girlfriend got into UCLA, I highly doubt that she is a dipshit in any meaningful sense.

I predict that you will be highly disappointed by the caliber of persons in law school.


TITCR

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:43 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Secondly, if your former girlfriend got into UCLA, I highly doubt that she is a dipshit in any meaningful sense.

I predict that you will be highly disappointed by the caliber of persons in law school.


I know no one that regards their classmates as 'dipshits.' The overwhelming consensus among my LS friends is that their classmates are smart, helpful and nice. Personally, I concur.

I met more dipshits in the festering cesspool of my UG than in LS.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby clintonius » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:45 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
dresden doll wrote:No. The people that go to T14s are usually people who did well on the LSAT and UG. Far as I know, LSAT/GPA does not correlate with contacts or networking.

But they sure do correlate with being rich, which correlates in turn to contacts.

Very few people at my T6 are rich, well connected kids. Not that they all grew up on food stamps or anything, but they tend to be middle class more so than anything else.

Weird. Almost everyone at my t-14 is rich. I just assumed it was that way across the board.

Duke is not the norm.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:45 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Weird. Almost everyone at my t-14 is rich. I just assumed it was that way across the board.


Well, I have a few friends at HLS that grew up fairly poor who feel out of place among their overwhelmingly rich classmates. I dunno, perhaps my classmates hide their blue blooded origins well. If they do, however, that only speaks well of them.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:50 pm

clintonius wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:Weird. Almost everyone at my t-14 is rich. I just assumed it was that way across the board.

Duke is not the norm.

Not Duke :mrgreen:

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:54 pm

dresden doll wrote:Well, I have a few friends at HLS that grew up fairly poor who feel out of place among their overwhelmingly rich classmates.

Now I know what I get to look forward to! :P

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby clintonius » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:55 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
clintonius wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:Weird. Almost everyone at my t-14 is rich. I just assumed it was that way across the board.
Duke is not the norm.
Not Duke :mrgreen:
Damn. Fair guess, though.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Well, I have a few friends at HLS that grew up fairly poor who feel out of place among their overwhelmingly rich classmates.

Now I know what I get to look forward to! :P


I'm sure you'll be fine. Sometimes people unnecessarily cultivate chips on their shoulders.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:59 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Well, I have a few friends at HLS that grew up fairly poor who feel out of place among their overwhelmingly rich classmates.

Now I know what I get to look forward to! :P

Just build a social life for yourself outside of the law school. That's really the best way to be happy in law school regardless, IMHO.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests