Surrounded by elitists...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: Surrounded by elitists...

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 am

lawschoollll wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:Oh really? I thought hospitals were lockstep.

No. Rural hospitals and clinics actually pay more too.

Was joking dude

If I went a t6 I would have been prestigious enough to realize it before.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:20 am

Desert Fox wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:Oh really? I thought hospitals were lockstep.

No. Rural hospitals and clinics actually pay more too.

Was joking dude

If I went a t6 I would have been prestigious enough to realize it before.

It's ok, being a non-T6, I didn't quite get it myself. I had the Stanford alum next to me draft it up. All I did was hit Submit.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:23 am

jackalope11 wrote:
clintonius wrote:You know that old riddle, what do you call the last person in his class at the lowest-ranked medical school in the country?

Doctor? :D

(I don't know the old riddle... what's the actual answer?)
That was it.

As opposed to what you call the last in his class from the TTTT. Y'know. "Fucked."

That was my point re: why prestige is valued.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:30 am

clintonius wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:
Doctor? :D

(I don't know the old riddle... what's the actual answer?)
That was it.

As opposed to what you call the last in his class from the TTTT. Y'know. "Fucked."

That was my point re: why prestige is valued.

HEY, I never guess the right answer on riddles! Both this and your response garnered a snicker. :lol:

At least neither has to repeat the most common question from Philosophy majors: "Would you like fries with that?" (As told to me by a friend and Philosophy graduate.)

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:30 am

Desert Fox wrote:Because most law schools take any idiot who can read and qualifies for federal loans.

<3

gtang_hls13

Postby gtang_hls13 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:31 am

Actually, you guys are forgetting that many *possibly* under-qualified med school applicants with dismal grades and MCAT scores can still become doctors by attending a med school in the Carribean or a DO school

Most US MD students will crap on kids who go to the Carribean or a DO school the same way law students look down on TTTs

Likewise, it won't take a rocket scientist or Kumar to pass the USMLE either

The main difference is that their diploma mills still guarantee a decent shot at a six figure salary

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:33 am

gtang_hls13 wrote:Actually, you guys are forgetting that many *possibly* under-qualified med school applicants with dismal grades and MCAT scores can still become doctors by attending a med school in the Carribean or a DO school

Most US MD students will crap on kids who go to the Carribean or a DO school the same way law students look down on TTTs

Likewise, it won't take a rocket scientist or Kumar to pass the USMLE either

The main difference is that their diploma mills still guarantee a decent shot at a six figure salary

I'd still consider having to leave the country a decent barrier to entry.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:53 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:I'd still consider having to leave the country a decent barrier to entry.

Wait, you consider getting to spend several years on a Caribbean island a barrier to entry?

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:56 am

johnnyutah wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:I'd still consider having to leave the country a decent barrier to entry.

Wait, you consider getting to spend several years on a Caribbean island a barrier to entry?

Most of the islands, on the whole, are very different than the tiny little bubble you see in the touristy areas. I'm assuming most of those schools are not in resort areas, but, hey, maybe I'm wrong.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

Most of the islands, on the whole, are very different than the tiny little bubble you see in the touristy areas. I'm assuming most of those schools are not in resort areas, but, hey, maybe I'm wrong.

So, you consider getting to spend several years on a Caribbean island without having to pay resort prices for your alcohol a barrier to entry?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:05 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
So, you consider getting to spend several years on a Caribbean island without having to pay resort prices for your alcohol a barrier to entry?
Having paid non-resort prices for alcohol in the Bahamas, I can tell you it's overrated. Low-quality booze + sunburn and the accompanying dehydration = FUCKOUCH

not to mention it's probably not ideal for studying

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:06 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

There are a lot more differences than just the price in alcohol . . .

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:07 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

:roll: You really think having to uproot and move out of the country to attend some Caribbean shithole for a TTT degree would be an awesome experience? I'm pretty sure med candidates there don't spend their time casually reading up on digestive dysfunctions while boozing punch and enjoying the sunset.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Talking to a doc I know about this the other day. The Caribbean schools are kind of like Cooley. It's easier to get in but they fail huge percentages of their class every day. She said you can't really tell the difference between a foreign medical grad once they graduate.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:26 pm

dresden doll wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:Wait, you consider getting to spend several years on a Caribbean island a barrier to entry?

:roll: You really think having to uproot and move out of the country to attend some Caribbean shithole for a TTT degree would be an awesome experience? I'm pretty sure med candidates there don't spend their time casually reading up on digestive dysfunctions while boozing punch and enjoying the sunset.

Having uprooted and moved out of the country to attend a Southeast Asian shithole for undergrad, yes, I do. There is no way to quantify the pleasures of year-round hot weather and a preposterously low cost of living.

Med students are apparently not doing it right.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:28 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Having uprooted and moved out of the country to attend a Southeast Asian shithole for undergrad, yes, I do. There is no way to quantify the pleasures of year-round hot weather and a preposterously low cost of living.

There's a reason that cost of living is so low.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:41 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Having uprooted and moved out of the country to attend a Southeast Asian shithole for undergrad, yes, I do. There is no way to quantify the pleasures of year-round hot weather and a preposterously low cost of living.

I dunno, I uprooted too and I haven't found it to be all fun and games.

Also, huge LOL at the anti-elitism screed this thread opens with in the light of the fact that CCN slightly-below-median kids are currently fearing prospect of missing out on biglaw and not being able to repay their loans. You may be above prestige whoring, but your potential employers sure won't be. Hopefully anti-elitists will find comfort in their own self-righteousness when they find themselves unable to manage their debts because no one wanted to hire from their school.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 pm

dresden doll wrote:I dunno, I uprooted too and I haven't found it to be all fun and games.

Also, huge LOL at the anti-elitism screed this thread opens with in the light of the fact that CCN slightly-below-median kids are currently fearing prospect of missing out on biglaw and not being able to repay their loans. You may be above prestige whoring, but your potential employers sure won't be. Hopefully anti-elitists will find comfort in their own self-righteousness when they find themselves unable to manage their debts because no one wanted to hire from their school.

Don't worry, they will. People who have failed at life are always full of themselves in my experience.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:46 pm

fragged wrote:I remember when my ex-girlfriend (who went to UCLA) came down to visit me in Orange County and needed to reference a book for work. The closest law library was at Whittier Law School. Instead of grabbing the book she needed and getting on with it, she felt the need to tell me how none of these people were ever going to get a job, and that this school was pathetic.

Awesome, do you still have her number??

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:48 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I dunno, I uprooted too and I haven't found it to be all fun and games.

Don't worry, they will. People who have failed at life are always full of themselves in my experience.

Yes, that has been my experience as well.

I just find this type of whining annoying. You'd think that it doesn't take much mental strength to understand that many of us prestige whored simply because we knew we'd want a particular type of job and were aware of how employers think.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:52 pm

dresden doll wrote:Yes, that has been my experience as well.

I just find this type of whining annoying. You'd think that it doesn't take much mental strength to understand that many of us prestige whored simply because we knew we'd want a particular type of job and were aware of how employers think.

Personally, I'm doing it so I can spend my life telling the peons how much smarter and more prestigious I am. The models and bottles are just a perk.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:53 pm

I wish I were going to a preftegious law school.

CapHillLove

Postby CapHillLove » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Last edited by CapHillLove on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I wish I were going to a preftegious law school.

NorTTThwestern is the Whittier of Midwest, really.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Blatant Cooley trolling.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”