West Coast Options

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
snapdragon

West Coast Options

Postby snapdragon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:54 pm

So I've decided to expand my LS search to include the west coast. Hurrah!

I did closely examine the recent thread of the 3.0 / 164 student who had a similar question. I'm a 3.1 / 167, thinking about the following:

Univ of Washington (I know, I know, they will hate my GPA with the fire of 1000 suns. Yet still, I persist)
Seattle U
Lewis & Clark
Univ of Oregon
Hastings (if I can get in / stomach the COL)
Davis (see above)

Anyone have any other ideas? Suggestions? Would I be up for scholarship $$ at L&C, Seattle or U of O? I'd like to stay more towards Northwest rather than South and have a strong dislike for Los Angeles.

Re: West Coast Options

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:50 pm

First of all, even though it's a reach you need to add UW to this list ASAP. Secondly, of the schools you mentioned, UCD and UCH are the only ones really worth considering ITE unless you get a scholarship (perhaps possible from Seattle or L&C). Thirdly, the COL in Davis is much, much, much lower than that of SF.

mlee85

Postby mlee85 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:33 pm

What about Pepperdine, San Diego, and Irvine?

Edit: Sorry, did not see the part about staying in the Northwest.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks for the tip on Davis, that's very helpful.

I'd love UW but I have a realistic point of view. General consensus seems to be that they don't like low GPAs and that's what I've got.

Any thoughts on Seattle, L&C or U of Oregon? I don't think I'd really attend any of those schools without a good scholarship, but even with scholarship, are they ok schools?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:36 am

snapdragon wrote:Thanks for the tip on Davis, that's very helpful.

I'd love UW but I have a realistic point of view. General consensus seems to be that they don't like low GPAs and that's what I've got.

Any thoughts on Seattle, L&C or U of Oregon? I don't think I'd really attend any of those schools without a good scholarship, but even with scholarship, are they ok schools?

With a big enough scholarship, they're certainly fine, but ITE I'd be leery of anything much less than a full ride.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:19 pm

I have the impression that the Oregon schools and Seattle are "much of a muchness"; finances should be your major guide in choosing between them. You didn't mention Willamette; any particular reason for the omission? You also didn't mention Gonzaga or Idaho but I imagine you aren't a fan of extreeemly cold winters. None of these schools is awful; the PNW isn't the Northeast, NYC or D.C. You can go to any one of these places without having to deal with an astronomical cost of living and you will probably find a job upon graduation (or so I've been told) if you aren't too picky about location.

Speaking only from my personal prejudices (and considerable ignorance), I agree that you should apply to UW even if you think you can't get in. My #2 choice would be UOregon, especially if I were an Oregon resident. Next? L&C, I guess.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Oh, I see. You didn't mention Willamette because it's a T4? Well, you might want to apply there anyway and see what they'll offer in terms of money. Gonzaga, though, is a T2 (if just barely) so maybe you should consider adding it to your list. You can always buy a used parka and mukluks!

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:32 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Oh, I see. You didn't mention Willamette because it's a T4? Well, you might want to apply there anyway and see what they'll offer in terms of money. Gonzaga, though, is a T2 (if just barely) so maybe you should consider adding it to your list. You can always buy a used parka and mukluks!

Oh, no, there really was no reason to leave out Willamette. Gonzaga, I left out because I have an acquaintance who went there and hasn't had ANY luck finding employment. Also their general feeling about the school was negative.

I really have no idea of what goes on in the Pacific NW, so I was hoping for just this - more suggestions :)

Any particular reason why UofO over L&C?

Thanks for your insight!

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:45 pm

Hey. I'm the 3.0/164 guy you referenced in the OP. Currently I am studying to retake the LSAT because I have decided to go UW or bust. I'm aiming for 180 and hoping to hit at least 175+.

UW is just that much better than any other school in the NW.

My second choice is Seattle University because it seems like a pretty good school with some good programs, and if I don't get into UW, I'm going to attempt to transfer in, and I'd rather not have to move.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:14 pm

UDub is the only T1 school in the PNW. Good luck with your application! Go Huskies! Though actually, I took my B.A. at St. Martin's (then) College.

UOregon is substantially less expensive than L&C and being a state school, you might find that the state government tends to look kindly on its graduates. That, btw, is PURE SPECULATION on my part but that's how it works down here in the Great Southwest. You might want to (ugh) network with a few Oregon lawyers and find out if it's true.

I also think that, for someone committed to living in Oregon, Willamette might have one advantage; not only is it located in Salem, the state capital, one of Willamette's buildings actually WAS the state capitol once upon a time. The place was founded in 1842, making it about as venerable as anything made by the white man could be in the Oregon Territory. I think you might find a close connection between the school and state politicaldom that could lead to clerkships and eventual employment. Again, (double ugh) you should network to find out for sure.

I would not dignify my ramblings as "insight". I'm just giving you the impressions I've formed as a native Seattleite long ago forced to move to the howling desert but longing to return. Alas! It hasn't been forty years, yet.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:42 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Hey. I'm the 3.0/164 guy you referenced in the OP. Currently I am studying to retake the LSAT because I have decided to go UW or bust. I'm aiming for 180 and hoping to hit at least 175+.

UW is just that much better than any other school in the NW.

My second choice is Seattle University because it seems like a pretty good school with some good programs, and if I don't get into UW, I'm going to attempt to transfer in, and I'd rather not have to move.

Hey thread friend!

So 175+ is the way to get into UW, eh? Sigh. Oh well, here's to hoping for a fee waiver, so as not make it an expensive shot in the dark...

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:55 pm

if you are after $$ you should have applied to San Diego and Loyola. Those are the only two generous west coast schools worth attending IMO.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:14 pm

snapdragon wrote:So I've decided to expand my LS search to include the west coast. Hurrah!

I did closely examine the recent thread of the 3.0 / 164 student who had a similar question. I'm a 3.1 / 167, thinking about the following:

Univ of Washington (I know, I know, they will hate my GPA with the fire of 1000 suns. Yet still, I persist)
Seattle U
Lewis & Clark
Univ of Oregon
Hastings (if I can get in / stomach the COL)
Davis (see above)

Anyone have any other ideas? Suggestions? Would I be up for scholarship $$ at L&C, Seattle or U of O? I'd like to stay more towards Northwest rather than South and have a strong dislike for Los Angeles.

Whichever one is the cheapest.

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Who the hell is this blojob person thats been going around "giving advice"?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”