Looking for law school with a "different" curriculum... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cldukes06

New

Looking for law school with a "different" curriculum...

Post by cldukes06 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:55 pm

So I want to go to a law school and study a different kind of law, one that no one seems to teach because the niche in it is quite new, but I believe will be all of the rage in the future...

This is an example of what I'm talking about...http://www.law.berkeley.edu/401.htm

Now, with my grades I'd never get into Boalt, but is there any other schools besides them and John Marshall School of Law (in Chicago) that offer programs such as these? I tried surfing the web for hours with no avail, plugging in stuff such as "law and technology, IT law, technology and law" etc etc.

Does anyone know, or study in areas such as these?

Thanks!

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Re: Looking for law school with a "different" curriculum...

Post by D-ROCCA » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:02 pm

Seems like a mix of IP and patent law, so I'd just go to the best school you get into and take IP and patent law classes.

shastaca

New

Re:

Post by shastaca » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:05 pm

. .
Last edited by shastaca on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:08 pm

The field is hardly new. The American Bar Association web site lists these schools as offering LL.M. programs in Law and Technology:

Law and Technology/Science
Dayton University, LL.M.; M.L.S.
Franklin Pierce Law Center, LL.M.; M.S.L.
Stanford University, LL.M.
Suffolk University, LL.M.
Washington University, LL.M.

I'd guess that these schools also offer J.D. students access to some of the related courses.

The only way I'd recommend going into it, though, is if your U/G degree is in engineering or a hard science (a BSCS would do as well) because you'll need the Patent Bar to be competitive in the employment market.

cldukes06

New

Post by cldukes06 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks for the links everyone.

Now my question is, what if I wanted to start a firm dedicated to this area of practice for corporations needing privacy protections, information technology, information transaction...maybe even branching a bit into finance and management?

Would it be smart to pursue a JD/MBA as a JD, then branch into your LL.M/M.S. (if applicable/possible) once you graduate? The idea of having business school experience in starting my own firm comforts me, unless it really isn't necessary.

Pip

Bronze

Post by Pip » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:55 am

cldukes06 wrote:Thanks for the links everyone.

Now my question is, what if I wanted to start a firm dedicated to this area of practice for corporations needing privacy protections, information technology, information transaction...maybe even branching a bit into finance and management?

Would it be smart to pursue a JD/MBA as a JD, then branch into your LL.M/M.S. (if applicable/possible) once you graduate? The idea of having business school experience in starting my own firm comforts me, unless it really isn't necessary.
If you wanted to start your own firm you would need to have a proven track record in that type of practice, better still would be to have work closely enough with some major clients that they would follow you when you went out on your own.... in other words the first step is to become very good in that area, simply wanting to start a firm that does that type of work wont be near enough to succeed.

As for the JD/MBA, don't bother. The MBA would add very little.... I speak from experience when I say, having a JD/MBA helps you more when it comes to corporate jobs than it does in legal jobs.. and even then it doesn't bring much to the table beyond opening a few more doors than it would if you only had an MBA. Save yourself some time and money and focus on one or the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”