Northwestern-strait from undergrad

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
thedude221
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:21 pm

Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby thedude221 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:54 am

169 LSAT, 3.96 GPA, next to no softs because of family obligations-will the fact that I'm coming strait from undergrad hurt my chances substantially at northwestern?

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:00 am

1 yes
2 you may be able to get into a better school though
3 wrong forum

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby Moxie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:40 am

Yes, your lack of work experience severely impacts your chance at acceptance at Northwestern.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:14 pm

You probably have a better chance at Chicago than Northwestern with those numbers + no work experience.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Moxie wrote:Yes, your lack of work experience severely impacts your chance at acceptance at Northwestern.


I disagree. I think that you will likely be admitted with a decent interview. However, as other posters have noted, I think that you are also likely to be admitted to Chicago and Michigan as well.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:33 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Moxie wrote:Yes, your lack of work experience severely impacts your chance at acceptance at Northwestern.


I disagree. I think that you will likely be admitted with a decent interview. However, as other posters have noted, I think that you are also likely to be admitted to Chicago and Michigan as well.


As a follow-up, while recent classes have had very few K thru JD students, I think that it has a lot to do with applicants self-selecting out.

User avatar
cinefile 17
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby cinefile 17 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:56 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Moxie wrote:Yes, your lack of work experience severely impacts your chance at acceptance at Northwestern.


I disagree. I think that you will likely be admitted with a decent interview. However, as other posters have noted, I think that you are also likely to be admitted to Chicago and Michigan as well.



I don't understand why you think that OPs lack of work experience will not impact his/her chances at acceptance. Only 2% of people who were accepted to Northwestern in the class of 2009 (3% in 2008) didn't have at least 1 year of work experience. Self selection may play a tiny part, but most of it is due to Northwestern's stated goal to eventually have all incoming students with work experience under their belts. The few people that are accepted without work experience have exceptionally high numbers (a higher LSAT than OPs) and/or have exceptional life experiences that show professionalism and maturity.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:49 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:I don't understand why you think that OPs lack of work experience will not impact his/her chances at acceptance. Only 2% of people who were accepted to Northwestern in the class of 2009 (3% in 2008) didn't have at least 1 year of work experience. Self selection may play a tiny part, but most of it is due to Northwestern's stated goal to eventually have all incoming students with work experience under their belts. The few people that are accepted without work experience have exceptionally high numbers (a higher LSAT than OPs) and/or have exceptional life experiences that show professionalism and maturity.


I think that those %'s refer to matriculation, not acceptance. Lack of work experience will certainly impact the OP's chances, although I question whether it will be as "severe" as one poster had commented.

aingraffia
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:18 am

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby aingraffia » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:25 pm

When we're saying "work experience", does this necessarily mean work experience in the law field? Or is NW likely to accept applicants with work experience in another field as well?

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:46 am

aingraffia wrote:When we're saying "work experience", does this necessarily mean work experience in the law field? Or is NW likely to accept applicants with work experience in another field as well?


Pretty much no one has work experience in a law field (as lawyers anyway) before coming to law school. So no, you don't have to be a paralegal at Skadden.

User avatar
McNulty
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby McNulty » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:42 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
aingraffia wrote:When we're saying "work experience", does this necessarily mean work experience in the law field? Or is NW likely to accept applicants with work experience in another field as well?


Pretty much no one has work experience in a law field (as lawyers anyway) before coming to law school. So no, you don't have to be a paralegal at Skadden.

Why would someone that has 'lawyer experience' apply to a law school?

Having experience within a law firm is certainly valuable - not necessarily for admissions, but for the simple fact that you have experienced what the legal services industry entails.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:16 am

McNulty wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
aingraffia wrote:When we're saying "work experience", does this necessarily mean work experience in the law field? Or is NW likely to accept applicants with work experience in another field as well?


Pretty much no one has work experience in a law field (as lawyers anyway) before coming to law school. So no, you don't have to be a paralegal at Skadden.

Why would someone that has 'lawyer experience' apply to a law school?

Having experience within a law firm is certainly valuable - not necessarily for admissions, but for the simple fact that you have experienced what the legal services industry entails.


That's my point.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Northwestern-strait from undergrad

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:39 am

aingraffia wrote:When we're saying "work experience", does this necessarily mean work experience in the law field? Or is NW likely to accept applicants with work experience in another field as well?


So... in short, it (mostly) doesn't matter where you got the work experience (as long as it's not part-time work like working at Burger King or illegal like selling drugs). As far as I know Northwestern does not favor law-related WE to non-law-related WE.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests