Visiting law schools before making a decision?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kpuc

Visiting law schools before making a decision?

Postby kpuc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:44 pm

I know it's common for prospective undergrads to tour the colleges that have accepted them, but is it common for law school applicants to do the same as well? Would you recommend it?

BioEBear2010

Re: Visiting law schools before making a decision?

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Most (all?) law schools have admitted student programs. There isn't much of a point in touring a school until you have been accepted.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:50 pm

kpuc wrote:I know it's common for prospective undergrads to tour the colleges that have accepted them, but is it common for law school applicants to do the same as well? Would you recommend it?

Yes. And without a doubt yes.

For me, I narrowed it down to two schools I wanted to attend and then went to admitted students days at both schools to see how I liked the school and city. I think it leads to a better informed decision on where to go. Also most schools (at least the ones where I was admitted) would pay for at least part of the trip to their school if you are attending one of the admitted student days.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you meant after being admitted. If you are still an applicant and not admitted yet, I don't see much benefit in visiting the school.
Last edited by CyLaw on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:50 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Most (all?) law schools have admitted student programs. There isn't much of a point in touring a school until you have been accepted.

The only exception is touring a school before deciding to early decision.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:50 pm

It's not as common, but it happens a lot. I found it very useful. A school I thought I would love, I didn't.

Wait until you have acceptances and are trying to narrow it down between 2 or 3 schools.

For admitted student days, a lot of schools will reimburse some travel expenses.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Yes, I meant AFTER acceptance.

Also, how many law schools do most people apply to? Is it similar to undergraduate applications (5-10)?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:15 pm

I applied to 18. Fee waivers FTW.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:18 pm

kpuc wrote:Also, how many law schools do most people apply to? Is it similar to undergraduate applications (5-10)?

It varies by one's scores (LSAT/GPA) and risk-seeking behavior, but a good number of students will apply to 10-20 schools. Fee waivers often get applicants to apply to schools they otherwise would not have otherwise considered.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 pm

Is it worth applying to HYS, even if you don't think you'll get in and you don't even have much interest in going? Would that entail that much more application work?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:18 pm

kpuc wrote:Is it worth applying to HYS, even if you don't think you'll get in and you don't even have much interest in going? Would that entail that much more application work?

Depends on numbers. If there's a chance you could get in (or waitlisted) it might be worth it. If your numbers are pretty far off, AND you don't have any outstanding 'soft' factors, there's really no point in wasting the money, especially since you don't have much of an interest in those schools. The application for Harvard will probably not be different from the other schools you apply to (so probably no additional app work other than filling out the general application), Stanford does require some additional certification form (don't know much about it since I won't be applying to S), and for Yale you would have to write an additional 250-word essay.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Depends on numbers. If there's a chance you could get in (or waitlisted) it might be worth it. If your numbers are pretty far off, AND you don't have any outstanding 'soft' factors, there's really no point in wasting the money, especially since you don't have much of an interest in those schools. The application for Harvard will probably not be different from the other schools you apply to (so probably no additional app work other than filling out the general application), Stanford does require some additional certification form (don't know much about it since I won't be applying to S), and for Yale you would have to write an additional 250-word essay.

I see. Thanks!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”