Notre Dame's London Abroad Program?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jmjmmorg

Notre Dame's London Abroad Program?

Postby jmjmmorg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:51 am

I'm an undergrad (4.0/166) in Indiana trying to decide on a school. I figure that with my numbers Notre Dame would be a solid option, and in terms of worst-case employment scenarios I have family members and friends in the Indiana/Ohio legal field who would be willing to help me out, so I'm not terribly worried about starving, working at Starbucks, etc.

I'm curious about whether anyone here can offer an honest assessment of Notre Dame's London abroad program. I spent time in London my sophomore year and really enjoyed it, and if this program opens doors for employment opportunities abroad then Notre Dame will definitely be my first choice. The main drawback would be that I'm a pretty liberal person (agnostic, queer, social activist) so I do wonder if the environment would be unpalatable. My UG school isn't exactly a liberal mecca either and I've coped, but ND does have a pretty intense reputation.

The Kid

Re: Notre Dame's London Abroad Program?

Postby The Kid » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:44 am

Up. I´d like to know too.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:49 am

I can't speak to London personally, but I've heard amazing things from people here on TLS. (I'm an incoming 1L at Notre Dame.) I'm strongly considering myself; I picked it over the transnational law program at WUSTL (where I went to UG) for the same reason.

Regarding fitting in on campus, my understanding is that it won't be a problem. I have several friends that went to UG at Notre Dame, and a couple in the law school. It is catholic, and that's unavoidable, but it is still a college campus (i.e. fairly liberal) filled with Generation Y (i.e. very tolerant).

Certainly apply to Notre Dame and visit the campus; they're the most helpful admissions office I worked with (despite them not having a status checker). With your numbers, I'd also consider WUSTL... the transnational program is pretty impressive, and it is a VERY liberal school.

jmjmmorg

Postby jmjmmorg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 pm

theantiscalia wrote:I can't speak to London personally, but I've heard amazing things from people here on TLS. (I'm an incoming 1L at Notre Dame.) I'm strongly considering myself; I picked it over the transnational law program at WUSTL (where I went to UG) for the same reason.

Regarding fitting in on campus, my understanding is that it won't be a problem. I have several friends that went to UG at Notre Dame, and a couple in the law school. It is catholic, and that's unavoidable, but it is still a college campus (i.e. fairly liberal) filled with Generation Y (i.e. very tolerant).

Certainly apply to Notre Dame and visit the campus; they're the most helpful admissions office I worked with (despite them not having a status checker). With your numbers, I'd also consider WUSTL... the transnational program is pretty impressive, and it is a VERY liberal school.

Thanks! I have friends who went to WUSTL UG and they adored the school, but I hadn't heard much about the law program. I'll certainly check into it.

haole_20

Postby haole_20 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:23 pm

I think with your numbers you should be shooting a little higher than ND. Obviously it's a very good school but I think you're going to have better options. You should definitely take a shot at Virginia, Georgetown and Duke, all of which have great international law programs. Or if you're trying to avoid debt you could probably get a decent scholarship at American - another top notch international program - and not have to worry about a conservative campus.

jmjmmorg

Postby jmjmmorg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:59 pm

haole_20 wrote:I think with your numbers you should be shooting a little higher than ND. Obviously it's a very good school but I think you're going to have better options. You should definitely take a shot at Virginia, Georgetown and Duke, all of which have great international law programs. Or if you're trying to avoid debt you could probably get a decent scholarship at American - another top notch international program - and not have to worry about a conservative campus.

Oh yes, I realize that I at least have a shot at WL within the T14. I suppose my main issue is that I'm still not convinced that I want to risk attending a school where I'm on the bottom half of accepted applicants... In blunt terms, the idea is intimidating. My reasoning is that if I can get into a T25 school with a solid program in an area that specifically appeals to me with the knowledge that my school performance and aptitude are within the top quarter or so, the expectation that I'll stand out and reap the associated rewards seems more realistic. Maybe I'm misguided.

haole_20

Postby haole_20 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:55 pm

Oh no, not misguided at all. The majority of people on this website are obsessed with prestige (not necessarily excluding myself in that) and I made the assumption that you weren't giving yourself enough credit. I would definitely look into American University though and possibly George Washington. I think either one of those could give you what you're looking for. And this isn't ND bashing at all. I'm just saying if you want a good program and would like to avoid the whole conservative campus problem, you might want to look elsewhere.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:33 am

At the risk of becoming a troll for my school before I even start, the study abroad programs at BC might be what you're looking for, including:
• London Program. Supervised by a full-time member of the Boston College Law School faculty, the London Program exposes students to another legal culture, provides insight into comparative legal institutions, and helps prepare students for international law practice. Students enroll in courses taught in the LL.M. curriculum offered by King’s College of the University of London. The centerpiece of the London experience is a legal internship with a British law firm, governmental office, or non-governmental organization. Recent placements have included Clifford Chance; the Financial Services Authority; the Foundation for International Environmental Law and Development; and Amnesty International.

Don't honestly know too much about these programs myself, and a lot of people on this site will tell you anything promoting your ability to do anything labeled "international law" is just marketing fluff, but they might be what you're looking for. Just throwing that out there.

jmjmmorg

Postby jmjmmorg » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:04 am

haole_20 wrote:Oh no, not misguided at all. The majority of people on this website are obsessed with prestige (not necessarily excluding myself in that) and I made the assumption that you weren't giving yourself enough credit. I would definitely look into American University though and possibly George Washington. I think either one of those could give you what you're looking for. And this isn't ND bashing at all. I'm just saying if you want a good program and would like to avoid the whole conservative campus problem, you might want to look elsewhere.

Yeah, I guess it's all relative. (What people want, I mean.) Speaking of American, I've noticed that according to LSN, it looks like they WL pretty much anyone with an LSAT above 164? So I guess I would probably have to convince them that I want to attend and then get the $$.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”