So, what's wrong with Howard Law School anyway? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rahimali

New

So, what's wrong with Howard Law School anyway?

Post by rahimali » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:29 pm

First off, I'm BLACK. Now..

What's the deal? Is Howard just a bad school? It doesn't even comp on the radar of law schools! Or just the accepted idea of the ineptness of all things associated with potential segregationist black people's creations (excluding rock and roll, soul, jazz, blues, and hip hop)??

1ferret!

Bronze

Re: So, what's wrong with Howard Law School anyway?

Post by 1ferret! » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:31 pm

First of all I'M NOT
Second, bad schools are bad.

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:16 pm

From my experience with Howard alumni, I think the school is fine. It's a good school, but there are already a number of good schools in the DC area. I wouldn't go there over GULC or GWU, but I'd take a full ride @ Howard over sticker @ American or Catholic.

ViIIager

Bronze

Post by ViIIager » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:26 pm

Average GPA and LSAT: 3.4/154
US News Ranking: Tier 3
Yearly cost full-time: ~25,000
http://www.law.howard.edu/518

Sooo, in a city with Georgetown, George Washington, American, and Catholic, as well as George Mason and Maryland just seconds away, I can't imagine why Howard should be considered. I'm almost always against the "don't go if its not Tier 1", but Howard just isn't a realistic option for someone who actually wants to practice law in any capacity. Heck, the $25k is higher than the other schools in the area, despite the atrocious ranking.

It's not racism, its realism. Implying that Howard has a bad reputation because of racism is pretty weak.

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:28 pm

rahimali wrote:First off, I'm BLACK. Now..
FYI I'm white everyone!

And it's cause there are better schools in the area, but it's not that bad a school for the price IMO.
Last edited by Kurt Cobain on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Case2L wrote:From my experience with Howard alumni, I think the school is fine. It's a good school, but there are already a number of good schools in the DC area. I wouldn't go there over GULC or GWU, but I'd take a full ride @ Howard over sticker @ American or Catholic.

Lol, talk about back handed compliments.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:31 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Case2L wrote:From my experience with Howard alumni, I think the school is fine. It's a good school, but there are already a number of good schools in the DC area. I wouldn't go there over GULC or GWU, but I'd take a full ride @ Howard over sticker @ American or Catholic.

Lol, talk about back handed compliments.
+1.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the school other than bad job prospects. Just like there is nothing wrong with a lot of T3/T4 schools besides bad job prospects.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:38 pm

I'M BLACK BITCHES!!!!!!

And I don't think Howard is a bad school but I do think there are better schools. Howard is in a good location and apparently has an OCI that rivals the T14. However, I'm not sure how far into the class employers will go at Howard even though the class is primarily minority.

I mean in the end its still a T3.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:39 pm

rahimali wrote:Or just the accepted idea of the ineptness of all things associated with potential segregationist black people's creations (excluding rock and roll, soul, jazz, blues, and hip hop)??
Surprised no one has taken this bait yet.

Also, you forgot to exclude peanut butter. Yumm... Thanks George Washington Carver!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theskippa10

Bronze

Post by theskippa10 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Bob Dylan invented rap.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Hulk Hogan invented Brooke Hogan. And she tries to sing R&B, and fails. That negates any contribution Bob Dylan might have had to rap music.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:15 am

yeah but according to the us news ranking, their graduates get high paying jobs. or at least it is a possibility.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 am

Howard is a decent school for URMs who don't crack the T30, It's one of the cheapest law schools, so it keeps debt down, they also give decent aid/scholarships. However many employers come just for the top students. Below median at Howard is much much worse than below median at say Wisconsin or Fordham

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:27 am

merc280 wrote:yeah but according to the us news ranking, their graduates get high paying jobs. or at least it is a possibility.
Check out http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/ and http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=114338. Employment statistics are very, very made up.

Howard's numbers aren't that terrible (according to NLJ 250 numbers), especially for a school of their ranking, and it is relatively cheap, so it could be a good option for some. But it definitely doesn't trump going to a T20. Employers will dip farther into higher ranked schools' classes for hiring.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Howard is not just an "historically black university", it's THE historically black university. It doesn't matter so very much how excellent its law school might actually be because it doesn't have the generations of graduates entering big firms that, say, Columbia has. After all, that's what "rankings" are mostly about, right? What are the graduate's chances of big law or a high level federal government position.

I admit that some part of me thinks that this reason alone is sufficient to justify going to Howard but that's just my Inner Leftist talking.

ninano

New

Post by ninano » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:48 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:Hulk Hogan invented Brooke Hogan. And she tries to sing R&B, and fails. That negates any contribution Bob Dylan might have had to rap music.
\lol

moviechicka

New

Post by moviechicka » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Howard actually places pretty well in slightly smaller markets. I have a friend who graduated from there and she had offers from firms in Atlanta and Charlotte. Her husband is also an alum and doing very well. You just have to decide where you want to live.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:37 pm

theskippa10 wrote:Bob Dylan invented rap.
No doubt about that

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-187835 ... sic_video/

p.s That is Allen Ginsberg in the background

p.p.s why is this not on youtube?

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:38 pm

I go to Howard Undergrad and know many people in the Law school. If you want to go there, prepare to be caught up in the BS red tape that all HU students have to deal with. Its an underfunded program that they couldnt PAY me to attend. Its pretty cheap, especially considering the high costs of other DC law schools, but you definitely get what you pay for if not LESS.

I plan to apply as a COURTESY (I have a fee waiver, so IDC), but I have no intention of attending that school unless everything else falls through, which is unlikely. There are FAR better schools in the same area, so why sell yourself short when better options are available? I cannot see someone with decent numbers passing up Georgetown, GW, George Mason, American, etc. for Howard.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:41 pm

This has got to be a troll.
Or just the accepted idea of the ineptness of all things associated with potential segregationist black people's creations
Are you fucking kidding me?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:46 pm

For what it's worth, there is a professor at the University of Wisconsin who got his JD at Howard.

Edit: Thomas Mitchell, one of my close advisors before I transfered. Brilliant man. That said, one example does not make a generally bad school good. As others have said, being at the top of Howard is probably better than being at the top of a T35ish-100, because lots of firms go to Howard for AA hires that don't go to the T35-100. But you can never assume you'll be at the top.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:52 pm

I'M BLACK BITCHES!

My mom wanted me to go to Howard. I hear firms recruit from the top of Howard's classes, but I knew that Howard wouldn't provide me with the opportunities I am looking for throughout my legal career.
1ferret! wrote: Second, bad schools are bad.
QFT.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:45 am

Stanford4Me wrote:I'M BLACK BITCHES!

My mom wanted me to go to Howard. I hear firms recruit from the top of Howard's classes, but I knew that Howard wouldn't provide me with the opportunities I am looking for throughout my legal career.
1ferret! wrote: Second, bad schools are bad.
QFT.
Much like you my mom wanted me to apply to Howard. I’ve decided to go ahead and add Howard Law to my list of potential law schools because of the "big law" job opportunities. I’ve noticed that a lot of the big firms recruit AA males out of Howard (I still don't know why). Hell, I guess there aren’t very many men of color in T1 or T2 schools.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:43 am

Everyone is on this guy but Howard may suck, but it places better than any other school in the DC area besides GULC and GW. Now this is almost strictly because of minority recuriting/hiring, but if you are a minority it's not a bad option.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Top 20-25% from howard have a good shot at doing well. Everyone else is just struggling to even pass the bar. Its first time bar passage rate in nyc is usually ~15-20% below state average. In a state that features multiple scam schools.
Last edited by rundoxierun on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”