Best Law School in the South

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: Best Law School in the South

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:It definitely doesn't sound pretty, but % of students with SA's and NLJ jobs at graduation are the metrics to look at. If 60 firms show up to tulane looking for top 10% students, lots of firms simply won't give any SAs. If 29 firms show up to emory (including nearly every major firm in atlanta) looking to higher through the top quarter, emory will still fair better. The OCI numbers need to be qualified with more data, and standing alone are fairly useless to a degree. Which is why people need to stop crying bloody murder about emory until more relevant stats come in.


I agree that having that data would be nice, but unfortunately it will be years before we have that NLJ data for you.

And yes, an Emory vs. Tulane comparison would be difficult for the reason you mentioned, but Emory v. WUSTL/ND/UIUC/BU etc. comparison wouldn't be totally useless. If employers are looking to hire top 25% from Emory, why wouldn't they be looking at at least a similar number for their T20 peers like WUSTL, BU, UIUC, etc.? And as we see, WUSTL and BU (dunno about UIUC) have FAR more firms coming to OCI. As an Emory student, that would scare the heck outta me.

Not saying this is conclusive, and I agree we need % of class with SAs and NLJ numbers to take a concrete position, but it is at least troubling that so many firms are pulling out of Emory while peer schools are maintaining far higher numbers.


The thing is, you're making an unwarranted assumption here. Last year, Emory had 29 schools at OCI, exactly the same as this year. 2 years ago, the 2008 pre-ITE OCI had 61 firms including resume collection (they didn't have the 2008 breakdown between the two). This year including resume collection there are 73 firms. Two year's ago OCI led to 23.5% NLJ employment. Now, i'd be willing to bet the ratio of resume collection to actual interviewing has gone down, but it can't have been by enough to say that firms are dropping like flies out of Emory. OCI isn't collapsing in unheard of proportions like you think it is. i'll say it once again, OCI attendance in and of itself is fairly useless.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Best Law School in the South

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:05 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:
The thing is, you're making an unwarranted assumption here. Last year, Emory had 29 schools at OCI, exactly the same as this year. 2 years ago, the 2008 pre-ITE OCI had 61 firms including resume collection (they didn't have the 2008 breakdown between the two). This year including resume collection there are 73 firms. Two year's ago OCI led to 23.5% NLJ employment. Now, i'd be willing to bet the ratio of resume collection to actual interviewing has gone down, but it can't have been by enough to say that firms are dropping like flies out of Emory. OCI isn't collapsing in unheard of proportions like you think it is. i'll say it once again, OCI attendance in and of itself is useless.


Fair points across the board, and perhaps people are overreacting to Emory's numbers. Personally, I'd rather go to a peer school with more than 29 firms at OCI (and I am), but time will tell as to whether or not they can maintain placement on par with their peers with so few firms.

User avatar
DaveBear07
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Re: Best Law School in the South

Postby DaveBear07 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:05 pm

skoobily,

Despite leaving Texas out of the South in a previous post, I like the argument you're making here.

I've been excited about the prospect of going to Emory with $$$ because I want to practice in Atlanta. When I read the OCI thread however, I was rather taken aback. But you make some good points in regards to previous years' OCI numbers not being much different.

Having said that, it still really freaked me out.

User avatar
emorystud2010
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Best Law School in the South

Postby emorystud2010 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:57 pm

DaveBear07 wrote:skoobily,

Despite leaving Texas out of the South in a previous post, I like the argument you're making here.

I've been excited about the prospect of going to Emory with $$$ because I want to practice in Atlanta. When I read the OCI thread however, I was rather taken aback. But you make some good points in regards to previous years' OCI numbers not being much different.

Having said that, it still really freaked me out.


Ditto (minus receiving $$$ :( )

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Best Law School in the South

Postby 20160810 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:28 am

Pablo Ramirez wrote:1. Duke



2. Texas






3. UVA

21 posts

0 credibility

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Best Law School in the South

Postby stratocophic » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:28 am

SBL wrote:
Pablo Ramirez wrote:1. Duke



2. Texas






3. UVA

21 posts

0 credibility
Gotta be an alt or something. Post history reveals a major douchey streak and a tendency to pop up in idiotic threads.

fear&loathingintexas
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:00 am

Re: Best Law School in the South

Postby fear&loathingintexas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:18 am

The "Southern" part of Texas is everything east of I-45. The closest thing to a Southern law school we have is SMU.

The New York Times once published a piece describing Austin as "the live music capital of the South." They got so many phone calls and letters from enraged Central Texans that they had to print a correction clarifying that Austin is not in the South.

UT doesn't belong on this thread.

User avatar
P. Bateman
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:58 am

Re: Best Law School in the South

Postby P. Bateman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:36 am

Whether the best law school in the south is Duke, UVA, or Vanderbilt, you will still be around people from the south who came to school to be edjimacated.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23852
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Best Law School in the South

Postby Thirteen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:47 am

P. Bateman wrote:Whether the best law school in the south is Duke, UVA, or Vanderbilt, you will still be around people from the south who came to school to be edjimacated.


Your point?

User avatar
P. Bateman
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:58 am

Re: Best Law School in the South

Postby P. Bateman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:49 am

Texas is the best law school in the south.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests