Boston College vs Boston University

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Adu

Boston College vs Boston University

Postby Adu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what they know about these schools? I live in the South and have no clue what these schools' reputations are. Their websites of course make them sound like they're the best, but I would like some "real" opinions :-)

Thanks a lot!

Regionality

Re: Boston College vs Boston University

Postby Regionality » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:02 pm

If you read 1/10th of all that has already been written comparing these schools you will have a veryyyy good idea about what people on TLS think.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Adu wrote:Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what they know about these schools? I live in the South and have no clue what these schools' reputations are. Their websites of course make them sound like they're the best, but I would like some "real" opinions :-)

Thanks a lot!

Both place well in Boston, probably the best bet outside being at at T14 and having ties to the area. That said, a good percentage of classes do wind up in states other than Massachusetts. Wouldn't count on leaving the northeast from either, though it does happen.

They are essentially peer schools; some will say BU places marginally better in NYC and BC marginally better in Boston, but others will say this is purely a matter of self selection.

Before the crash, both put around ~40% in BigLaw, but I'd bet that the most recent classes haven't gotten near there. We'll see how it rebounds.

Between the two schools, BU has the more urban location but an old and unattractive building, BC has a more suburban location and a nicer building.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:12 pm

OP, definitely do some searching through old threads since this is a topic that has been discussed many times. I'm sure you will find all the information you could need. And if there is anything at all you still are curious about, we would be happy to help. But definitely start by searching the older threads.

Adu

Postby Adu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:23 pm

dakatz wrote:OP, definitely do some searching through old threads since this is a topic that has been discussed many times. I'm sure you will find all the information you could need. And if there is anything at all you still are curious about, we would be happy to help. But definitely start by searching the older threads.

Thanks, I am new to TLS, so I am not sure how it works as of yet.
I will look for older threads :-)

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:22 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Both place well in Boston, probably the best bet outside being at at T14 and having ties to the area. That said, a good percentage of classes do wind up in states other than Massachusetts. Wouldn't count on leaving the northeast from either, though it does happen.

They are essentially peer schools; some will say BU places marginally better in NYC and BC marginally better in Boston, but others will say this is purely a matter of self selection.

Before the crash, both put around ~40% in BigLaw, but I'd bet that the most recent classes haven't gotten near there. We'll see how it rebounds.

Between the two schools, BU has the more urban location but an old and unattractive building, BC has a more suburban location and a nicer building.

Bingo. Also, check out the school profiles on this site. If you have a certain region in mind (if you're going to one of these schools, then hopefully New England or NYC) then go to the NALP directory and see where alumni for each school goes.

Adu

Postby Adu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Bingo. Also, check out the school profiles on this site. If you have a certain region in mind (if you're going to one of these schools, then hopefully New England or NYC) then go to the NALP directory and see where alumni for each school goes.

Will do! Thanks a lot this forum is so much more helpful than a pre law adivsor!

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Using the search function v. Not doing so

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:02 pm

They place more or less the same, are ranked more or less the same, cost more or less the same, have faculty of similar caliber, and are generally indistinguishable.

BC is in the suburbs, BU is in an urban area. Probably the biggest difference. Cost of living may be slightly higher at BU as a result.

Umm... What else... BC is affiliated with the Catholic church, but the church has little or no influence on the school. BU is nondenominational. BC Law is a little bit smaller and separated from the undergrad campus, while BU Law is in the middle of the undergrad "campus" and thus more connected to the whole university. BC was traditionally higher-ranked than BU and might have a better reputation among lawyers ages 70+. I'm reaching here; the urban-suburban difference is the only significant one.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Both schools also seem to give ridiculously different amounts of scholarship money to the same type of candidates. Best advice - follow the $.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”