Wisconsin ($) vs WUSTL (Sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Regionality

Silver

Wisconsin ($) vs WUSTL (Sticker)

Post by Regionality » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Hey all,

So I'm still waitlisted at WUSTL, but I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to wait out the waitlist. Here is my situation:

In at Wisconsin w/ small scholly. Tuition at Wisconsin is about 30k/yr for me. If I were to get off WUSTL waitlist, I am sure I'd have to pay sticker (43k/yr). This makes WUSTL's tuition 39k more over the three years.

Is WUSTL worth about 40k more in tuition? (I assume similar COL's b/w Madison and St. Louis)

Keep in mind I already have an apt in Madison (750 dollar deposit), have bought a few book for Wisconsin, have my schedule already, etc. I am perfectly happy to practice in the midwest (Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis would all be fine to start with), but I do place value in the portability of a degree (West and East coasts are appealing to me).

Bottom line, is WUSTL that much better than Wisconsin in reputation, degree portability, and initial job opportunities (anywhere in the country)?

Should I just give up on WUSTL and start getting pumped up for Wisconsin??

Diamond

Re: Wisconsin ($) vs WUSTL (Sticker)

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Tough call. Wisconsin is a nice state, I'd stick with it.

The schools are roughly equal, thought WUSTL has a bit more mobility, it's so small ITE I wouldn't even consider it unless you are the very top of the class.

Take the 40K.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:03 pm

Tough call, Regionality. I know how badly you've been shooting for WUSTL this cycle. On one hand, there is no harm in staying on the waitlist just to keep your options open, but on the other hand, I do think there is something to be said for the peace of mind of knowing where you're going to end up.

I will just say... you may get a small scholly thrown your way from WUSTL even this late off the waitlist, you never know. They have been throwing a few grand at many of the waitlist accepts throughout the cycle, so you may end up with 10k or something. Still may not be enough to even things up for you, but its something.

Tough call. I sincerely wish you the best no matter where you end up.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:Tough call, Regionality. I know how badly you've been shooting for WUSTL this cycle. On one hand, there is no harm in staying on the waitlist just to keep your options open, but on the other hand, I do think there is something to be said for the peace of mind of knowing where you're going to end up.

I will just say... you may get a small scholly thrown your way from WUSTL even this late off the waitlist, you never know. They have been throwing a few grand at many of the waitlist accepts throughout the cycle, so you may end up with 10k or something. Still may not be enough to even things up for you, but its something.

Good point about staying on in hopes of them giving a small scholarship.

I am biased though. I'm overlooking a beautiful wisconsin lake right now.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:Tough call, Regionality. I know how badly you've been shooting for WUSTL this cycle. On one hand, there is no harm in staying on the waitlist just to keep your options open, but on the other hand, I do think there is something to be said for the peace of mind of knowing where you're going to end up.

Thanks Romo...

If they gave me 10k/yr I'd run to them in a heart beat bc that would even out the difference in attendance a lot. I'm not a splitter though...if they let me in it wouldn't be to bolster either of their #'s, it would be because I'm "good enough" in both their #'s (163, 3.64) and they need to fill a slot. I could be wrong though. 10k would be huge for me though...

grrrrr...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Ummm, is that lake the same lake that Northwestern's downtown lakefront campus overlooks?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:06 pm

Regionality wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Ummm, is that lake the same lake that Northwestern's downtown lakefront campus overlooks?
Nope, smaller.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Nope, smaller.
you in madtown?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:10 pm

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm with romo on this one. I don't even know if anyone has gotten in off the WL and not been given a scholarship yet, so hope springs eternal! Plus, if they were to let you in, you could cite your situation with the apt when begging for money :mrgreen:

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:15 pm

I'd wait it out as well. Wisconsin looks nice though, so even if you don't get into WUSTL, not like you've lost out

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:42 pm

ZachOda wrote:I'd wait it out as well. Wisconsin looks nice though, so even if you don't get into WUSTL, not like you've lost out
It does feel relatively equal...but if I got a 10k scholly all would be shifted in favor of WUSTL...

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:53 pm

You should wait until WUSTL accepts you and gives you a 10k scholarship before you worry about this.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:58 pm

MrKappus wrote:You should wait until WUSTL accepts you and gives you a 10k scholarship before you worry about this.
Actually you're wrong. I would want to know what I would do in each situation, which is why I started this thread in the first place.

I assure you I am capable of differentiating reality from possibility...and I'm sure you would agree that as a law student it's important to be able to analyze and consider hypothetical situations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”