Where should I ED? Should I ED?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I ED?

ED to Northwestern
79%
ED to Georgetown
5%
ED to UCLA
5%
Do not ED anywhere
11%

Total votes: 19

Upton Sinclair

Where should I ED? Should I ED?

Postby Upton Sinclair » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:54 pm

OK everyone, I'm finishing up applications and getting ready to apply in September. Need some advice.

I have ~3.4 GPA and a 170 LSAT. I graduated in December and will have 19-20 months of (unspectacular) work experience at matriculation. I am interested in BigLaw, but not married to the idea (particularly if I graduate with minimal debt). I am not overly picky about where I go to school or where I work after. Since my numbers are borderline at best for the schools I would most like to go to, I am considering an ED to help my chances. Where do you think I should ED, or should I not ED at all?

Option 1) ED at Northwestern and try to sneak in that way?
Option 2) ED at Georgetown/UCLA (probably a better shot than ED at Northwestern, but less payoff
Option 3) Forego the ED, and take my chances RD; then take advantage of scholarship offers at lower-ranked schools.

If I had my choice, I would want Northwestern/Chicago. I also have a legitimate network in D.C. I have a potential business opportunity/partner in L.A. I have good friends in all three cities.

That should be all the information you need. Let me know if there's anything else I'm neglecting that would help you make a choice if you were me. Explanations of your votes would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

buckilaw

Re: Where should I ED? Should I ED?

Postby buckilaw » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Northwestern loves applicants with work experience, if you ED there your chances are likely better than any other schools you have listed. Also, I would take Northwestern over GULC any day of the week; if anything you can expect a greater payoff from Northwestern than GULC.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:09 pm

According to LSP, UCLA would actually be the most likely. LSN is kind of inconclusive. Does it matter that my work experience is pretty basic? Or is it just the idea of growing up and getting out in the real world that is attractive to Northwestern?

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 am

Upton Sinclair wrote:According to LSP, UCLA would actually be the most likely. LSN is kind of inconclusive. Does it matter that my work experience is pretty basic? Or is it just the idea of growing up and getting out in the real world that is attractive to Northwestern?

From what I understand, any kind of work experience is good, especially if you can spin it well.

I didn't apply to NU, but the schools that I applied to seemed to look favorably upon my 2 years of construction experience. SMU actually mentioned it in their acceptance letter, and IIRC W&L might have mentioned it in their scholarship letter (can't remember exactly, but I do remember that W&L looked favorably upon the WE).

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:41 pm

OK, I'm sure I'll have no problem spinning it; it really is one of my best skills.

Looking for a lot more opinions/votes. This is a tough decision for me. Thanks.

czelede

Postby czelede » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:According to LSP, UCLA would actually be the most likely. LSN is kind of inconclusive. Does it matter that my work experience is pretty basic? Or is it just the idea of growing up and getting out in the real world that is attractive to Northwestern?

LSP doesn't take into account GPA floors. The California schools are notorious for being GPA whores, so your chances at UCLA are probably a lot lower than LSP would have you believe (UCLA in particular is very splitter-averse).

ED to NU is where my vote goes.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:54 pm

As long as you are okay with paying sticker (and I would with 3.4/170), I'd ED to NU if you want chicago.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:57 pm

DF, you are heading to/in at NU correct? Do you have any advice for me as far as improving my chances (outside of a retake)? Do you think I have a decent shot?

BTW, I am more than willing to pay sticker at NU. You are dead on; with my numbers, I don't have much choice.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:DF, you are heading to/in at NU correct? Do you have any advice for me as far as improving my chances (outside of a retake)? Do you think I have a decent shot?

BTW, I am more than willing to pay sticker at NU. You are dead on; with my numbers, I don't have much choice.

A year more WE would probably help, but other than that I think you are good for NU ED. I'd put money on you getting in.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:DF, you are heading to/in at NU correct? Do you have any advice for me as far as improving my chances (outside of a retake)? Do you think I have a decent shot?

A year more WE would probably help, but other than that I think you are good for NU ED. I'd put money on you getting in.

That's really encouraging. Another year of WE is not an option, though. This job is already hopelessly boring as it is (and the pay is far from great).

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

That's really encouraging. Another year of WE is not an option, though. This job is already hopelessly boring as it is (and the pay is far from great).

For what its worth, I'll only have a few more months of WE when I matriculate and on the application I think you round to the nearest year. So plan on working til August and you can claim two years.

Worst case you can ED to UVA via their late ED program.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Appreciate the votes and suggestions so far. NU appears to be winning by a large margin. Any dissenting opinions?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”