URGENT HELP - Vanderbilt vs UC Davis ??!?!?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Vandy or Davis

Vanderbilt
52%
Davis
48%

Total votes: 63

yo!

Re: URGENT HELP - Vanderbilt vs UC Davis ??!?!?

Postby yo! » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:59 pm

WhatToDooo wrote:So here's a question...

Lets say I throw out the coming back to CA requirement right out of school. Would anyone's opinion change then?

Yes, obviously, see my above posts :P However, if you eventually want to work in CA, Davis might still be the right choice. I had sort of a similar situation, but I was choosing between Davis and big scholarships at some out of state schools (rather than choosing a higher ranked school like you are). Most of the people that I talked to thoght that Davis was still the most solid option for working in CA. For those of us who didn't quite have Stanford/Boalt/UCLA/USC numbers (ie..not a 168 LSAT), Davis or Hastings really is the best bet for work in California.

WhatToDooo

Postby WhatToDooo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:08 pm

yo! wrote:
WhatToDooo wrote:So here's a question...

Lets say I throw out the coming back to CA requirement right out of school. Would anyone's opinion change then?

Yes, obviously, see my above posts :P However, if you eventually want to work in CA, Davis might still be the right choice. I had sort of a similar situation, but I was choosing between Davis and big scholarships at some out of state schools (rather than choosing a higher ranked school like you are). Most of the people that I talked to thoght that Davis was still the most solid option for working in CA. For those of us who didn't quite have Stanford/Boalt/UCLA/USC numbers (ie..not a 168 LSAT), Davis or Hastings really is the best bet for work in California.

No joke. I just spoke with 5 different lawyers and everyone repeated the same thing as you. If you want CA. Davis. ANYwhere else? Vandy.
Their facilities are so nice though! ;)
Still waiting on the landlord....might make things easier on me

edit - I know you Davis wait listers are voting for Vandy...reveal yourself!

Maven

Postby Maven » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:12 pm

I interview applicants and review hundreds of resumes every year. If I received a resume from an applicant who went to Vandy it would hands down grab my attention over one who went to Davis.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Not sure why there is a common sense ITT that Vandy grads don't go to California. California is consistently one of the 5 most popular destinations for Vandy grads (along with NY, D.C., TN, GA). And the majority of Vandy grads do not stay in the South.

If you want to work in Cali, I'd imagine (until someone gives an actual argument otherwise) that your job out of Vandy would be significantly stronger. You'll have less competition among Vandy grads for California jobs--unlike Davis grads who will be competing with everyone else in their class. I think this decision would be a little trickier if this were Vandy and UCLA.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Rawlsian wrote:Not sure why there is a common sense ITT that Vandy grads don't go to California. California is consistently one of the 5 most popular destinations for Vandy grads (along with NY, D.C., TN, GA). And the majority of Vandy grads do not stay in the South.

If you want to work in Cali, I'd imagine (until someone gives an actual argument otherwise) that your job out of Vandy would be significantly stronger. You'll have less competition among Vandy grads for California jobs--unlike Davis grads who will be competing with everyone else in their class. I think this decision would be a little trickier if this were Vandy and UCLA.

Nobody said Vandy doesn't travel to Cali. I think the money difference is a big reason for why people are saying Davis. Even if Vandy and Davis were a wash for where he wants to practice, the money still makes Davis the easy call.

I am really surprised more people have said Vandy.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Rawlsian wrote:Not sure why there is a common sense ITT that Vandy grads don't go to California. California is consistently one of the 5 most popular destinations for Vandy grads (along with NY, D.C., TN, GA). And the majority of Vandy grads do not stay in the South.

lol...if this were vandy and ucla OP probably wouldn't have made a thread about it.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:31 pm

I'd find out about UC Davis' OCI attendance this year before making my decision.

lawschoolliberal

Postby lawschoolliberal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:32 pm

When must you notify Vanderbilt of your decision? Did they give you a particular deadline?

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:19 pm

lawman2010 wrote:If I get the call today from Davis I may be interested in your lease. Is it a one bedroom?

Was just accepted at Davis. I pm'd you about that lease. I may take it off your hands if you need.
Last edited by lawman2010 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Nobody said Vandy doesn't travel to Cali. I think the money difference is a big reason for why people are saying Davis. Even if Vandy and Davis were a wash for where he wants to practice, the money still makes Davis the easy call.

I am really surprised more people have said Vandy.

Money didn't seem like the driving factor in the OP's decision.
And Vandy is his dream school.
I want to practice in CA. I also want to go to the best law school I can, for personal reasons, and Vanderbilt is it both in terms of rankings and reputation. It was my top choice during the process of applying after everything I read about the school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:00 pm

I understand it is his dream school, but I'm not really including that in any sort of a pro/con analysis. Isn't the whole point of these X vs. Y threads on TLS to get some objective insight from disinterested parties? If so, then telling him to go to Vandy because it is his dream school isn't really doing him any good.

Not that there is a wrong answer here... I'm just thinking that Davis is best if his top priority is California. If he is okay with being in other regions or he is really gunning for biglaw, then Vandy all the way.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:I understand it is his dream school, but I'm not really including that in any sort of a pro/con analysis. Isn't the whole point of these X vs. Y threads on TLS to get some objective insight from disinterested parties? If so, then telling him to go to Vandy because it is his dream school isn't really doing him any good.

Not that there is a wrong answer here... I'm just thinking that Davis is best if his top priority is California. If he is okay with being in other regions or he is really gunning for biglaw, then Vandy all the way.

I think OP is going to Vandy. He/she just posted in one of the Vandy threads.

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:20 pm

lol. Maybe I got his spot at Davis...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”