URGENT HELP - Vanderbilt vs UC Davis ??!?!? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Vandy or Davis

Vanderbilt
52%
Davis
48%

Total votes: 63

WhatToDooo

New

URGENT HELP - Vanderbilt vs UC Davis ??!?!?

Post by WhatToDooo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Totally outing myself, but, I just got in to Vanderbilt off the wait list.

I want to practice in CA. I also want to go to the best law school I can, for personal reasons, and Vanderbilt is it both in terms of rankings and reputation. It was my top choice during the process of applying after everything I read about the school.

With only a few days left I would have to move across the country.

UC Davis - significant scholarship - read...a bit more than half of tuition/fees.
Vandy - $7K

I don't know what I want to do when I graduate. I'm open to clerkships, pub interest, big law, whatever so long as I enjoy what I'm doing and helping others in some fashion.

As the name says.... what to do????

edit - I also signed a lease that I am now seeing if I can get out of at Davis...if I can't that may make this decision a whole lot easier...
Last edited by WhatToDooo on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: URGENT HELP - Vanderbilt vs UC Davis ??!?!?

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:50 pm

I love Vandy, but UC Davis is the better school for you. You're looking at 150-160k in debt at Vandy and you want to practice in Cali.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:57 pm

WhatToDooo wrote:Totally outing myself, but, I just got in to Vanderbilt off the wait list.

I want to practice in CA. I also want to go to the best law school I can, for personal reasons, and Vanderbilt is it both in terms of rankings and reputation. It was my top choice during the process of applying after everything I read about the school.

UC Davis - significant scholarship - read...a bit more than half of tuition/fees.
Vandy - $7K

I don't know what I want to do when I graduate. I'm open to clerkships, pub interest, big law, whatever so long as I enjoy what I'm doing and helping others in some fashion.

edit - I also signed a lease that I am now seeing if I can get out of at Davis...if I can't that may make this decision a whole lot easier...
is there a gpa requiremnt for your davis scholly?

WhatToDooo

New

Post by WhatToDooo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:01 pm

najumobi wrote:
WhatToDooo wrote:Totally outing myself, but, I just got in to Vanderbilt off the wait list.

Vandy - $7K

is there a gpa requiremnt for your davis scholly?
no, remain in good standing

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:28 pm

If you REALLY know for SURE that you want to end up in CA, I'd choose Davis. Moving across the country and paying a lot more may actually be worth it if you want a little bit more portability(you'll probably never work on the East coast coming from Davis). But I'd say for Northern CA at least, UCD>Vandy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:28 pm

yo! wrote:If you REALLY know for SURE that you want to end up in CA, I'd choose Davis. Moving across the country and paying a lot more may actually be worth it if you want a little bit more portability(you'll probably never work on the East coast coming from Davis). But I'd say for Northern CA at least, UCD>Vandy.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:29 pm

What will the cost difference be? ~60k by my estimates, is that right?

WhatToDooo

New

Post by WhatToDooo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:31 pm

yo! wrote:If you REALLY know for SURE that you want to end up in CA, I'd choose Davis. Moving across the country and paying a lot more may actually be worth it if you want a little bit more portability(you'll probably never work on the East coast coming from Davis). But I'd say for Northern CA at least, UCD>Vandy.

What about LA?

lawman2010

Bronze

Post by lawman2010 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Vandy competes better in SoCal against UCLA, USD, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhatToDooo

New

Post by WhatToDooo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:What will the cost difference be? ~60k by my estimates, is that right?
If you take into account that the UCs will again be raising fees the next two years, it's probably less than 60 but who knows what the actual amount is. The amount Davis raised fees this year is more than what was discussed in their mtgs/the pdf someone posted here a while back

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:37 pm

WhatToDooo wrote:

What about LA?
I'm just an 0L, so I can't really tell you. UCD really tried to hype up their SoCal presence at the ASD, but I didn't really buy it. I'd suspect that Vandy vs. Davis in LA would be a wash. In which case, I'd still go to Davis for the cheaper price. Anywhere else, I'd choose Vandy.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that you shouldn't take my advice too seriously because I really don't know anything that you don't. However, FWIW, I choose Davis becase I knew that I wanted to stay in NorCal. I would suggest that you think long and hard about where you want to end up.

WhatToDooo

New

Post by WhatToDooo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:43 pm

yo! wrote:
WhatToDooo wrote:

What about LA?
I'm just an 0L, so I can't really tell you. UCD really tried to hype up their SoCal presence at the ASD, but I didn't really buy it. I'd suspect that Vandy vs. Davis in LA would be a wash. In which case, I'd still go to Davis for the cheaper price. Anywhere else, I'd choose Vandy.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that you shouldn't take my advice too seriously because I really don't know anything that you don't. However, FWIW, I choose Davis becase I knew that I wanted to stay in NorCal. I would suggest that you think long and hard about where you want to end up.
SoCal is my end goal, no question.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Leaving for Vandy tomorrow.

But I think Davis.

Vandy isn't worth the money given your career goals.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:47 pm

WhatToDooo wrote:
yo! wrote:
WhatToDooo wrote:

What about LA?

SoCal is my end goal, no question.
Then, IMO, it's just a question of how much the cost difference is, and whether you are willing to take out the extra loans.

WhatToDooo

New

Post by WhatToDooo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Still waiting to hear back from landlord to see if they'll let me out of it....

I shouldn't have put that poll. I'm guessing people on both waitlists are voting one way or another :)

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:23 pm

If I were in your situation, the question I would be asking myself is this:

If it were March, and I had just been admitted to both Vanderbilt and Davis with the same amounts of money that I have been awarded now, which school would I choose to attend?

Personally, I wouldn't let six months' rent come between me and the school that I ultimately thought would be best for my career/ aims. But that's just me. Also, can you look into finding a subletter? All kinds of people make arrangements to come to campus at the last minute. Some landlords are really cool and just take on the subletter as tenant.

lawman2010

Bronze

Post by lawman2010 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:09 pm

If I get the call today from Davis I may be interested in your lease. Is it a one bedroom?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Davis, for the reasons the other posters mention. Knowing you got into Vanderbilt with some money can give you some satisfaction without having to accept their offer.

WhatToDooo

New

Post by WhatToDooo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Out of curiosity, since Vandy doesn't rank students (minus that top 20% Dean's List/10% Coif) does that make it far less competitive than Davis would be?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:01 pm

WhatToDooo wrote:Out of curiosity, since Vandy doesn't rank students (minus that top 20% Dean's List/10% Coif) does that make it far less competitive than Davis would be?
I would doubt far less. ITE, I would assume everywhere is super competitive.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:06 pm

bk187 wrote:
WhatToDooo wrote:Out of curiosity, since Vandy doesn't rank students (minus that top 20% Dean's List/10% Coif) does that make it far less competitive than Davis would be?
I would doubt far less. ITE, I would assume everywhere is super competitive.
People I've talked to at Vandy have stressed that barely anyone appears outwardly competitive. Not sure how much good that advice does you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:07 pm

rad law wrote:People I've talked to at Vandy have stressed that barely anyone appears outwardly competitive. Not sure how much good that advice does you.
Brings up a good point as to whether the OP meant an atmosphere of competitiveness or the actual relative chances of doing well.

WhatToDooo

New

Post by WhatToDooo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:16 pm

bk187 wrote:
rad law wrote:People I've talked to at Vandy have stressed that barely anyone appears outwardly competitive. Not sure how much good that advice does you.
Brings up a good point as to whether the OP meant an atmosphere of competitiveness or the actual relative chances of doing well.
A little of both I guess. I would say that just based off of numbers, clearly Vandy is going to be more difficult to crack the upper percentages. But, in terms of atmosphere what are the people like? I did not get to meet any students prior to this. I visisted once for less than a day.

WhatToDooo

New

Post by WhatToDooo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:53 pm

So here's a question...

Lets say I throw out the coming back to CA requirement right out of school. Would anyone's opinion change then?

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Go to a UC school if you want to practice in Cali. You won't find many southerners loyal enough to Vandy to hire a grad from that school unless you have top grades. You may get lucky at Davis if you don't make the T10-15%. If you're top 10-15% at either, you'll be fine. You just may have more luck in Cali from the lower part of the class from Davis.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”